Parade

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning to do a night parade this Saturday with Dapper Dan in Lawton, OK. I usually twine sparkling lights in his mane. Well, this year I had to cut his mane off because he was rubbing it (first time he's done that in all his 15 years...) I'm planning to put lights on the cart, of course, but I'm not sure how to attach them to Dapper Dan, since he has no mane. Maybe I could just wrap them around his neck?? There is no rule about lights, but I want him to be as showy and sparkly as possible. He has sleigh bells; maybe I could attach the lights to the bell leather...

Also, I have to pay a $25 entry fee! First time I've ever PAID to be in a parade. I've never gone to this parade before; I've heard there are lots of spectators. The parade organizer said I am the only miniature horse. What a shame!

We just paid $125 to be in Fort Worth's Parade of Lights- that was an ouchy. Most parades are free, we have done one that's $15 or an unwrapped toy for charity.

I don't know that I'd wrap lights around his neck, might irritate him. Can you run them along his harness and check?

We just paid $125 to be in Fort Worth's Parade of Lights- that was an ouchy. Most parades are free, we have done one that's $15 or an unwrapped toy for charity.

I don't know that I'd wrap lights around his neck, might irritate him. Can you run them along his harness and check?
Yikes! Is it a group and all could share the cost? Do you take several horses? The last one we were in was huge, and we got first prize of $150. No fee to enter.

When is your parade? I think this one is rather early. We'll all have to post parade pictures, so we can share ideas!

His harness will be covered by a sequined cover, so can't attach. He doesn't wear a check, but that would certainly be a good place to attach lights. I'd hate to put a check on him in the parade when he's not really used to it in that situation. I'm thinking attached to the sleigh bells might work. I'll have to experiment. I don't think he would mind them around his neck. I tie stuff on his neck all the time. He wears bells on his legs, antlers--don't know if he likes it, doesn't mind it, or endures it.

Can you use one of the battery-powered "net" light setups, like they drape over shrubs? Attach it to the bridle crown, saddle and hip strap and let it hang down on each side. I don't know what the overall size of these are, so you might need to fold in half...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes! Is it a group and all could share the cost? Do you take several horses? The last one we were in was huge, and we got first prize of $150. No fee to enter.

When is your parade? I think this one is rather early. We'll all have to post parade pictures, so we can share ideas!

His harness will be covered by a sequined cover, so can't attach. He doesn't wear a check, but that would certainly be a good place to attach lights. I'd hate to put a check on him in the parade when he's not really used to it in that situation. I'm thinking attached to the sleigh bells might work. I'll have to experiment. I don't think he would mind them around his neck. I tie stuff on his neck all the time. He wears bells on his legs, antlers--don't know if he likes it, doesn't mind it, or endures it.
Not really a "group", my friend and I share the costs. We take as many of the driving horses as we have drivers for (and we always run out of horses! :D ) and as many walkers as we can get handlers for. Most people don't want to walk, though, only drive. Which disappoints me, as all they want to do is come play and never help out any other way. Don't even come to the farm to check decorations or anything. Or work the horses. Just show up, drive, go home. *sigh*

I'm going to 2 parades this year and I don't have to pay a fee. Wow, $150 is a lot. I am only taking 2 minis, one hauling a buckboard wagon and one just walking. This is the first year I am taking one to drive. I hope it goes well. He has been driving for years and will have a friend to go with. I have 2 walkers for the one mini and a header for the one I'm driving. One is a nighttime parade and the other a daytime.

I think whatever you decide to do, it will go over well. I love seeing how well you represent "what minis are good for" with your participation in parades and events over the years
default_yes.gif

The last year we did a lighted Christmas parade, we led the parade with Santa. We made the carriage into a sleigh with a really big refrigerator box painted red and lots of lights outlining it. We wrapped the shafts with silver garland and lights and put a green wreath with lights around his neck with a big red bow. Of course, the pony also had the standard antlers and red nose.

Unfortunately, it was the last parade we did. The liability I just didn't find worth it anymore, kids running in front of the ponies to pick up candy and kids throwing candy at the pony just took all the fun out of it. The parents were laughing as I was trying to keep their kids from getting ran over. If I ever do another one I would definitely have headers on both sides.

This is what I'm doing this year. I will have Prince in a collar and hames pulling the wagon. He will have a red sheet under the back pad and breechin. The garland has lights that are battery operated. We have one night and one afternoon parade. I never remember to take pictures when we are at the parade so I took them today so I can see what I did for next year!

20121115_134138.jpg

20121115_134243.jpg

20121115_134159.jpg

20121115_134256.jpg

Great ideas here! My lights still haven't come. Two more days to hope they come.

I do plan to try all the stuff on DD this afternoon and see how the new sequined cape works with the harness. I think I've pretty well decided to put the lights on the sleigh bell leather.

I actually enjoy all the children crowding around. We stop a lot to let them pet Dapper Dan. The thrown candy does not bother DD, though I have seen it startle some other horses.

Does anyone know when the throwing candy tradition started? I don't remember it at any parade I went to as a child in the 60's. Probably some political candidate...

I forgot to mention, Prince has rump bells to help with mood and I have carriage lights that are going on the side of the wagon. The holders just arrived today in the mail. I'm so excited to see what they look like.

happy appy that looks great! Makes me wish I could do a parade too, well, almost.. our parades have become a lot less fun and I stopped going several years ago when they became a speed competition.. well not really but no one was allowed to stop for any reason and they even got rid of the balloon animal making clown because he slowed things down
default_thumbdown.gif

Marsha C., I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of your guy all decked out for the parade
default_yes.gif

I forgot to mention, Prince has rump bells to help with mood and I have carriage lights that are going on the side of the wagon. The holders just arrived today in the mail. I'm so excited to see what they look like.
Carriage lights! That sounds so neat. Too bad we can't all get together in one parade!

I tried on Dapper Dan's stuff today and see where I need to make some adjustments. The sequined cape looks great, but I'll have to make holes for the reins. Lights won't go on the sleigh bell leather; they'll have to go around his neck. I think I can attach the battery case to the saddle. It is funny to watch them while trying all the stuff on them. Not sure if they love it or hate it!

I introduced Tipsey to the sleigh bells and it was clear that she will never be a jingle bell girl. No way. They ARE noisy!

This reminds me I have to go on a search of the basement for our lights. We have two night time parades this year. Three of us driving, my daughter, my granddaughter, and me. The theme is Elves & Bells. We got some hats with elf ears on them --- hope the bells don't make the horses nutty. (Note: must try out the horse & bell combination.). Oh yeah, the horses have those antler headbands to wear. Poor guys ; what we put the through! I'll try to get picture.

Does anyone know when the throwing candy tradition started? I don't remember it at any parade I went to as a child in the 60's. Probably some political candidate...
Down here in Texas you can't throw candy- you can HAND it out but not throw it. We can't even do that- two hands on the reins sorta problem....
default_whistling.gif

We've never had any problems with kids throwing stuff at us.

You aren't allowed to throw candy here either. I have been doing the same 2 parades for at least 6 years now, maybe seven and we have never had a problem with kids or anything. This is the first year that I am driving though but I'm not expecting anything different.

The two largest parades I've been in have candy flying everywhere. Parents seem to be paying a little closer attention to their children now, though. Parade entrants just keep a good eye out. It's not really an issue with my little horse. I have thrown candy while driving. You pretty much have to drive one-handed anyway, for waving. But I haven't done candy lately--there is plenty of candy without my contribution.

I'm starting to plan my day tomorrow for the parade. Lots of preparation! Plus I'll be home quite late so the other animals have to be considered. Chickens can't get out tomorrow for one thing as I might not be able to get them back into the pen in a timely way.

Cleaning up Dapper Dan--probably use the vaccuum--then keeping him clean. Where to secure Tipsey, who will be silly lonesome while he's gone.

My husband is going with me for the very first time. (This may turn out to be more work than going by myself--if you know what I mean!) But he is planning to take pictures. Supposed to be ideal weather!!

Parade goers don't always appreciate how much work it is to enter a parade.

Fieldofdreams, I feel for you getting all those horses/vehicles ready without much help.

Lacey in her ladybug outfit for next weekend's parade.

I'm going to add bells.

Probably should try to find something that looks like feelers too.

I'm not going to drive due to the steep hills and all the stopping. Too much stopping for a forward horse!

Lacey ladybug.jpg

Got home from the parade about 10 tonight. Dapper Dan was a tired horse! He was the only miniature. It was a VERY noisy parade--lots of generators and heavy equipment, plus the usual motorcycles, bands, and general uproar. No candy was thrown--it was all handed out. My husband went with me and he is usually a super picture-taker, but the night shots just didnt' turn out. The parade was part of an Army Post, so there was lots of patriotic flavor. Some cool black cavalry guys didn't photograph well, and neither did an Indian bareback on a paint horse. The big horses, all lit up, didn't turn out either.

Dapper Dan was a big hit, especially when he had a chance to trot a little and let the sleigh bells ring.

There were two steep hills, which we didn't like, but he did all right going down them at a walk. The pavement was slippery. We stopped whenever we could to let children pet him. (I couldn't believe all the people who called him a donkey. Is there some donkey on TV???? He doesn't look anything like a donkey.)

Hundreds of spectators.

Anyway, the pictures didn't turn out very well, but I'll include one here. I had trouble with the lights around his neck, since he had no mane to attach them. They kept coming unwound and would drag on the ground. Spectators kept wrapping them back around his neck for me. Not sure how else I could have done them--I'm open to ideas.

I did like his sequined cape; it worked out well. I don't think the shrub-drape lights would work with the cart shafts. I didn't see any big horses using them either. My ordered lights didn't come in time, but we did manage to find 2 strings of battery lights at Walgreen's. I called ahead and they held the last two packages for me.

www.cassphoto.com/lawton2012.jpg

He looks beautiful and so do you! Your smile is what it's all about! Merry Christmas to you and Dapper Dan!

Latest posts

Back