Paprika?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetiki

Reaction score
In the big horse world they have to remove paprika, and the black as night products etc a week or so before the show, what about the minis. I've never been to a show where they drug tested the minis, is it an issue? Is there shows where they do drug test them? I was thinking of using it this year but want to know what I am getting into first.

Karen

In researching paprika and Black as Knight, the web says Black as Knight has paprika as the main ingredient.

I had not heard about using paprika for the chestnut and bay horses and also would expect you could use the products without incident, from judges or show organizers.

My question is what would be the amount required for results and are there any side effects?

The following is a quote regarding paprika and also the use of powdered milk.

[b] don't know about blacks but I have an old friend who religiously feeds paprika to her chestnuts to keep them "red". She is British and in her late 70s and told me that she got this tip from her father's barn manager when she was a child.

Have no idea if there is any credence to it but I do know that both her chestnuts always have a very intense colour to their coats.

She also feeds her horses powdered milk in the spring as she says it helps them shed out faster and slicker.

They do random drug tests at AMHA World, but that's the only time I've heard of drug tests in the mini shows.

I wasn't aware paprika showed up as a drug. I always had my TWH on it and never had a problem.

I have always fed it to my large horses (Quarter Horses) and have been drug tested numerous times and never had a positive test.

I would be interested to know if they have changed something that they are testing for and the paprika is giving a false positive.

Ok, I was curious where Paprika came from, and found this on Wikipedia:

Paprika is a spice made from the grinding of dried sweet red or green bell peppers (Capsicum annuum)

Apparently, plants from the Capsicum genus contain capsaicin, a USEF banned substance. But, also according to Wikipedia, the sweet bell pepper (what paprika is SUPPOSED to be made from), is the only member of the genus that doesn't contain capsaicin. Capsaicin is what gives peppers their "heat."

So, to make a loooooog explanation short ~ Paprika, if taken from sweet bell peppers, shouldn't make the horse test positive. However, it is likely the paprika you get comes from numerous different plants, therefore, it is possible for them to test positive for capsaicin. The general recommendation is to take them off it 7 days before they could be potentially tested. However, I still don't know if AMHA and/or AMHR test for capsaicin. Although, since the AMHR is supposed to be aligned with the USEF now, I would assume they do.

In some horse federations, capsaicin is banned. I think it would depend upon what drugs the AMHA or AMHR are testing for now days.

Here is a news article:

[SIZE=24pt]Horsejumping painkiller banned[/SIZE]

PARIS (AFP) – The International Equestrian Federation's (FEI) veterinary commission said Wednesday it has decided to list capsaicin-based analgesic, used as a painkiller but also as a means of cajoling horses into jumping, as a formally banned substance.

Capsaicin, which can be rubbed in as a lotion to ease pain and is a derivative of the chilli pepper plant, showed up in four Beijing Games cases.

In addition to its painkilling properties capsaicin can increase sensitivity.

When smeared on the horses they suffer a burning sensation if they fail to clear the showjump bars, the idea being that they will strain themselves to jump higher and in doing so avoid the burning.

During the Summer Games, four riders were suspended after their horses tested positive for capsaicin.

Three have already been handed suspensions and fines although it has not been proved that they deliberately set out to "dope" their mounts.

Norwegian bronze medalist Tony Andre Hansen is awaiting a judgement on his case and, additionally, Brazil's Rodrigo Pessoa, a 2004 individual jumping champion, was banned after his mount tested positive for nonivamide, a banned pain reliever.

I understand big horses get about 1 tsp. of paprika once a day. Many people also feed black oil sunflower seed which is supposed to do the same thing.

In some horse federations, capsaicin is banned. I think it would depend upon what drugs the AMHA or AMHR are testing for now days.
Here is a news article:

[SIZE=24pt]Horsejumping painkiller banned[/SIZE]

PARIS (AFP) – The International Equestrian Federation's (FEI) veterinary commission said Wednesday it has decided to list capsaicin-based analgesic, used as a painkiller but also as a means of cajoling horses into jumping, as a formally banned substance.

Capsaicin, which can be rubbed in as a lotion to ease pain and is a derivative of the chilli pepper plant, showed up in four Beijing Games cases.

In addition to its painkilling properties capsaicin can increase sensitivity.

When smeared on the horses they suffer a burning sensation if they fail to clear the showjump bars, the idea being that they will strain themselves to jump higher and in doing so avoid the burning.

During the Summer Games, four riders were suspended after their horses tested positive for capsaicin.

Three have already been handed suspensions and fines although it has not been proved that they deliberately set out to "dope" their mounts.

Norwegian bronze medalist Tony Andre Hansen is awaiting a judgement on his case and, additionally, Brazil's Rodrigo Pessoa, a 2004 individual jumping champion, was banned after his mount tested positive for nonivamide, a banned pain reliever.
Ok I am just amazed what people will do to their horses to WIN! If you cheat you arent winning! I dont show but I am a very competitive person, but would never do anything like this .. I totally understand giving them something (safe and legal) to enhance their color but not to hurt them.. I know -some are gonna say-it doesnt hurt them, but I guess it is all in perspective..just my opinion...

Well I may never get to the national level and I only plan on using as a color enhancer for one or two horses, the BOSS didn't do much in the way of color but their coats are very shiny and soft even in winter woollies. So, Thank you all for your input.

Karen

For the paprika l add a teaspoon of the stuff in with the morning ration starting in late March...l'm also not a fan of boss anymore so have found using flax seed does pretty much the same thing for shine.

I've used Black as Knight for my red horses - it really does make them redder and shinier IMO. Since the label specifically says to remove the horse before a show, that's what I do. There is a "show" formula of the product but didn't find that it worked as well as the one they have to be taken off of prior to showing. I have no idea what AMHA is really testing for, but since taking them off for a week or two doesn't diminish the effect on their coat I just do it.

Latest posts

Back