Paper Stall bedding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
Boy do I like this stuff! My vet brought me a bag from a big breeding farm he does. He knew I had been looking for a year or more.

Paper Shavings

If you check out the list of dealers you'll see that there is already a mini farm using them.

I was worried about blowing as it gets pretty windy here in OK and our stalls are open to the ground. But on a very windy day recently it stayed in the stalls just fine....better than the wood shavings.

And I absolutely love the ease of cleaning! It sifts very easily with a fine tine fork and the pee spots form a 'pancake' and just lift out cleanly. I don't know if it was a fluke or what, but it reduced what I took out of the stalls by half!

Just wanted to share.

Charlotte

I'll be going to get some to try out.
default_smile.png

I really like the sound of this bedding. But there are no dealers near me. The closest one is 3 hrs away.
default_sad.png

Julie, that was the problem I saw too is that there aren't too many dealers. I started calling around and found a dealer closer that wasn't listed on their web site. My plan if I couldn't find it was to call the local feed stores close to me and see if I could get them to carry it or as a last ditch effort call the manufacturer and see if there were any options to get it delivered here to my farm.

Charlotte

Thanks for the info, Charlotte! I found a dealer about an hour from us. I'm planning to give it a try!

Pam

Thanks for posting this. I know the lady that is listed as a dealer in Illinois but she is about 2 1/2 hours away. I have emailed her for her input and depending on info I get from her I am going to see if one of the local farm supply stores would consider carrying it. Again Thanks for the info!
default_biggrin.png

One year when there was no straw or shavings to be found my husband brought home shredded paper from work it worked great. We got it for nothing and have used this when we run short of straw or bedding.He brings home bags of it from work.

A good place to see/get it is at the equine events/expos.

That is where I just seen it a couple of weeks back at the Lansing Michigan Stallion Expo.

If I remember correctly as I only took a quick glance but I seel the price tag said $12.99 per bag. Im sure it maybe cheaper else where but it did look interesting.

I'll just stick to my $1.00 per bale straw.
default_wub.png

I just talked to the dealer in Liberty Mounds Ok. and he quoted me a price of $7 per bag, I pick up or $7.50 a bag if he delivers. He said that the bag is equal to 2 bags of shavings. I may just go there this week end and pick some up and give it a try..

Thanks for telling us about it.

Danny

I have been using Paper Shavings for 2 yrs now. I have to because of Duke's allergies to wood shavings (the oils in them). I take them to all the shows with me. I swear by them. I get them for $4.75 a bag straight from the manufacturer in Colorado. it acts like a clumping kitty litter, so when a horse pottys in the stall, it clumps on the floor. Super easy to clean. I would not recommend it for foaling, but instead put a layer of straw over it, so the mare and baby dont get the paper in their wet mouth or nose. But as soon as she is done foaling, get the wet out and put them on it immediately. This stuff is amazing and in a show stall, like down at World, I put a bag in a half in there and they are over a foot deep. At Centrals show, a bag is a foot deep. You get a lot for a bag and it doesnt waste either. If you need, I can always video how I do a stall and maintain it on my website if you want, just let me know. But I will say, Paper Shaving are worth a million bucks, I will never go back to wood shavings, they are WAY too dirty.

I also talked to the rep at the Michigan Expo - sounds like a great idea.

I want to try it when I get my barn this summer. I kept his contact information. I'm glad to hear the many enforsements given here.

Angela, thanks for the testimonial! Now that Charlotte has found a source here in OKC, I'm getting ready to go get some. I have so much trouble with dust and wood shavings, I'm looking for an alternative. Unfortunately, we're going to have to pay more here, but hopefully worth it in the long run!

Becky and I just got a load. Frank and I have about 30 bags of wood shavings we have to use up so we plan to mix the two until the wood shavings is gone then we will be on all paper.

In years past I used paper shavings, but it was cut in much larger pieces and more inclined to blow around. this didn't blow at all on the one windy day we've had since I first put it out. Other than the blowing issue with the previous product I absolutely love paper bedding. I think I've tried just about every kind of bedding there is and paper was always the favorite for many reasons.

I'm SO happy to have found this!

Charlotte

Next time I'm in Paso Robles I'm going to have to pick some up - it does look interesting!

It looks like what I use for my daughters rabbit,we really like it.The shavings make a big mess,this stays in place in the cage better.So far i'v only seen very small bags,hopefully they'll get big ones soon.

on the website, there is a guy who delivers only, wonder if he could run a load out to a bunch of you if you split it. even call the main office and see if they have a delivery guy.

wait till you see how easy it is to clean off the blankets and polar fleece, I just turn on the blower and POOF. its gone, no more dirty dusty horses or blankets.

What I do at the shows is- I buy a bag of wood shaving per stall I rent, but dont use them and I have a note from my vet for Duke, Senor, Jr and Finns allergies. So I just bring my paper shavings to the show and use them there. A lot of show barn people are asking me how they can start carrying them for the shows, I tell them to call and give them a empty bag with info. But havent seen anyone change to them yet.

But I will never go back to wood shavings to hard to deal with. And wait till you spread them out across the pasture, after the first rain or two, they will be gone, they literally decompose very quickly.

Latest posts

Back