Pancreatitis really bites!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
I ended up in the ER a couple of weeks ago with SEVERE pain in the abdomen. They told me it was pancreatitis and we think it was due to an injury. I was told to eat small meals and snacks with low fat and bland and to just be careful. I have been careful but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. My energy level is low and its usually really high and this just annoys the heck out of me. I have a show tomorrow and thank God I have three wonderful kids that are doing most of the work. But has anyone ever had this? and how long does it take to go away? Linda

When i thought I had it, I went to WebMD symptom checker. That's what I thought I had. I ran to the doctors and found out that instead I have lymphoma.

What I did read in all my research is that the first time you have it, it's much more manageable then if this is the second or third incident. A friend at Walmart has diabeties and had a problem with it. He was slated to have a kidney transplant so when the time came he had his pancrease and his kidneys transplanted. He is doing fine now.

What seemed to be a big problem was that medication can be the cause of it, so any meds you are taking, please check them out to see if they are statin drugs (which cause it). Check, check and double check it's not the medication that's causing the problems. I saw that noted often.

Awhile ago, I had a problem of passing out. The HCTZ was depleating my potassium and I would just pass out in the middle of dinner. So now I take B-12 shots for energy and Potassium to keep the old ticker stablized.

Hope I gave you some things to think about and ask your doctor, ask your pharmacist, and then ask them again. When a health question arises.. you can never ask too many questions.

God Bless,

Lynn Weed

I've had it...it was HORRIBLE! Mine came along with gall stones and I ended up at the ER and in the hospital for several days...and the pancreatitis kept me from work for about a month because I was so tired and just didn't feel well at all (and dr. told me to stay home). Mine was from an injury as well...we found out later that the duct in my pancreas was split in half...so it just wasn't working...so I had surgury to fix it...but there definitely are things that will make me feel cruddy again and I know just to lay off of anything but very bland, low fat food until it passes...it really is no fun at all...and I don't have any good suggestions of how to make yourself feel better unfortunately
default_no.gif

Tracy

Hubby had it a few months after major heart surgery. The Dr. put him in the hospital, wouldn't let him have anything to eat or drink for three days. They gave him constant IV's, and a morphine pump. That is how painful it can be! I hope he never does that again, and I hope no one else I know has to go through that. The first question they asked was if he drank. He doesn't, so that ruled out the first and foremost reason they thought of. Finally said it could be caused by one of hundreds of things, including insect bites. Never mentioned medications though.

Oh, hope it has nothing to do with pancreatitis... as a type 1 diabetic for 18+ years (on an insulin pump), I would not wish it on anyone!
default_yes.gif

As a diabetic, I know for me, foods that process slowly through the digestive tract are better... no "quick" sugars... better are the carbohydrates that are processed more slowly... but every body is different so you have to find what is best for your body.

Best wishes from us here!

Denise

Silversong Farm

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister-in-law just got over it a couple weeks ago. She's still not 100%, but she's doing better. She got it after a routine colonoscopy (only 5% get it). So bad luck for her since it'll be re-occuring.

OMG Linda I am soooooooooo sorry I just read this and was like so sad

Latest posts

Back