Palominos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markadoodle

Reaction score
Hey all!

Long time no see, haven't been on LB as much as I used too, I miss my LB "family" very much so..

Anyways, just wanted to post a quick topic-

I was wondering if any of you feed your palominos any color supplements, I've tried so many and none gave me great results, so wondered what you guys had to say - he is on a great feed, and has proper nutrition, and has great hooves, I just think I need to find him a nice supplement, I've tried a few oils to and none really gave me results.

What do you feed or do to get a rich golden color?

Thanks so much,

Kay

Some palominos are naturally more golden than others. We have two golden palominos and one light palomino. Ground flax seed is an excellent supplement to bring the bloom out in any horse, and it also brings out the gold tones on palominos and buckskins.

Homebred filly, Bliss:

Bliss-06262011-1--MARES.jpg

BTU son, Bacardi:

Bacardi%20--%20Ball%20--%20071107%20--%20112%20GELDINGS.jpg

Ive known people use paprika in the feed but I have no idea if it works , I agree with JIll some pallys are naturally more golden and most of the pale that Ive known have got more golden with age

Some palominos are naturally more golden than others. We have two golden palominos and one light palomino. Ground flax seed is an excellent supplement to bring the bloom out in any horse, and it also brings out the gold tones on palominos and buckskins.

Homebred filly, Bliss:

Bliss-06262011-1--MARES.jpg

BTU son, Bacardi:

Bacardi%20--%20Ball%20--%20071107%20--%20112%20GELDINGS.jpg

I am a huuuge sucker for a golden pally and I have to say your gorgeous Bacardi made me feel a little faint! Oh my goodness what a looker, you are one lucky person
default_wub.png

I also agree that the natural color may vary. I have two young palomino fillies (same sire) and both are VERY different.

Here they are in their winter fur:

378853_177881592298391_100002296543466_370901_1789439882_n.jpg

428351_245852265501323_100002296543466_531980_1133466437_n.jpg

As foals:

76190_1565445787561_1577895892_1284061_3737105_n.jpg

225868_110305045722713_100002296543466_105538_534786_n.jpg

As you can see they are VERY different. However, the first filly is turning two this year and we have yet to identify the extent of her pinto/appaloosa markings. Her base is just so light that we can't see them yet we know that they're there because of her skin color. (Pink skin & white hooves.)

Oh, to further look at differences, here's my very light palomino as a foal and an adult
default_wub.png

Derby:

baby%20picture%20Derby_1.jpg

Derby-WCMHR-Hunter.jpg

Derby%20--%20Silver%20Star%20Show%20--%20May%2010,%202004%20075.jpg

I use "Gold As Sun" for my Morgan. It does help to bring out her natural color and her dapples but it takes a while to work. My favorite supplement for the minis is Omega Horseshine. Just a good all around supplement to promote healthy coats and shine.

Jill, the picture of Derby jumping is amazing.

hey

here is my palomino in pasture he is little over weight right now
IMAG0372.jpg
What is the best way to work his neck

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used paprika in the past but it can show up in drug testing as a prohibited substance so be careful. I've also used black oil sunflower seeds for my show horses. It also helps to clip them about three weeks before a show and put them out, seems the sun brings out the color in the pally also. To breed for the best golden color in a pally, bred a stallion that carries the gene to a bright sorrel mare, you will get more golden color and less smut marks. I've never tried the flax seeds, but I may give it a try.

I use "Gold As Sun" for my Morgan. It does help to bring out her natural color and her dapples but it takes a while to work. My favorite supplement for the minis is Omega Horseshine. Just a good all around supplement to promote healthy coats and shine.
Personally, I've used Gold As Sun and hated what it did to my palomino stallion (some of you may remember Storm). It did bring out a TON of dapples, but the color just wasn't "gold" or "sun" like in my opinion. I hated it.

I have used paprika in the past but it can show up in drug testing as a prohibited substance so be careful.
Ditto the paprika, but like Terry said, it can show up as a banned substance if tested. Not an issue at an open show probably, but could be for A or R shows.

But as others have said, sadly, some have great color, other palominos don't. Especially in the minis. I have Poopy (aka Mira) who is an Isabella palomino (meaning basically white coat with black skin) and then I have Butter, Goldie and Goldie's filly Scarlet (now owned by another farm) that are really very golden. Here's a pic of Scarlet body clipped. You should see her in her natural coat! Oooh la la!

scarletAMHACentralShow20112web.jpg

She was so "red" as a baby, that's how she got the name Scarlet. I registered her as sorrel!lol Later had her tested and she carries creme.

I haven't had any luck with colour supplements. Colour relies so much on genetics and what coat they are in and how close you clip etc.

I just give as good a feed as I can so the nutrition is there for an awesome coat.

This is my boy early spring in clipped coat:

pallivh.jpg

And in summer in clipped coat:

sirpallidon greendale.jpg

A lot of his line are similar in their bold colouring
default_smile.png

I knew a lady that had a palomino QH and she fed him a bag of carrots a day. He was the most golden palomino I have seen and his coat just sparkled.

I second the Omega Horseshine. I don't have a palomino but it did wonders for my silver buckskin. Once he shed out he had dapples. For a while I stopped using it and the dapples went away.

Carrots are high in starch / carbs, and that can be a problem for many miniature horses.

Latest posts

Back