palomino that are really silver buckskins?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
I have enclosed some pics of the dam as a baby, then as an adult,then the foal in question, the sire is the horse in my avatat (palomino, no doubt about it). The colt was born looking like a palomino, I clipped his head and neck and he was a deep golden color underneath. I have yet to clip him down but what has me wondering is.....

He scratched his leg when he was a week old. He is two months now. Today I was looking at his leg thinking, wow, you must have done a number on yourself, the hair still hasn't grown back. To my surprise, the hair has grown back, it is about 1/4 of an inch long, but is is chocolate colored. The scrape wasn't really that bad, and I kept after it with creams and ointments when it happened, from what I have seen, when I would have a horse booger itself up, scar areas have always grown in lighter than surrounding areas on the big horses I use to have.

So, I was just wondering if anyone out there has silver buckskins that looked like palominos when born.

Carolyn

dezibaby.jpg

DSC00237.jpg

DSC00038_edited.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a silver buckskin who's now a 2yo and she was clipped and looked palomino or silver bay at one point as a baby:

Flirt%2006012006%20wet%201.jpg

Flirt%2006062006%203.jpg

FLIRTFACE%2006212003.jpg

Flirt%2007102006%206.jpg

Flirt%2008262006%203.jpg

Flirt%2011052006%2018.jpg

Flirt%20--%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20100%20Touched.jpg

Flirt%20070408%20112.jpg

(looking like a ragamuffin! "Color twin" Maddie is behind her)

Here's our silver buckskin gal.. When she was born I initially thought palomino, until her mane/tail dried and they had a "smokey" tint to them, which got me questioning her color.. As time went on her mane and tail got lighter/blonder so had me thinking palomino again, but again with time/age her points (legs, etc) started getting darker, alas leading us to silver buckskin..

Newborn:

CIMG1922.jpg

CIMG2025.jpg

Few weeks:

Trixie17days.jpg

Trixie17days2.jpg

Weanling (very fuzzy!)

101_0875.jpg

Yearling:

DSCI0027.jpg

DSCI0010.jpg

Now as a two-year old:

Trixie2.jpg

Trixie5.jpg

Even now as a 2 year old, to the "untrained" eyed or to someone who didn't know about the silver dilution she could/would possibly pass for a light "palomino"

LOL, yep, these minis' color changes sure are fun! Here is Poco De Oros Bit of Buckeroo...

"Possum" as a foal:

Copy_of_DSC_0046_e-238x145.jpg

A little while later (note his color is starting to change):

Possum_ball_3-237x153.jpg

Possum as a weanling -- the cream and the charcoal are really starting to come out:

Possum-247x194.jpg

Next would be his winter yearling coat, which was nearly white with charcoal legs...can't find a pic of that at the moment.

Now, as a 2 yr old, here he is finally shed out. In his "pasture pretty" state with no bath or anything... now a dappled mix of cream, yellow, and charcoal.

Possum5_June_2008-390x253.jpg
Possum_June_2008-205x281.jpg

Here's little Bella at 4 months. She's a silver buckskin for sure.

bella5months5.jpg

But I find this topic very interesting indeed. Here's why:

I have a mare that to me looks palomino with the exception of a lot of silvery/brownish hairs on her legs. She was bred by Lowell Boone and her second owner (who had her for most of her life) swears she is a silver buckskin and says that Mr Boone agreed. This is heresay mind you. I never spoke to Mr Boone.

Here is a pic of her:

buttercupleftside2.jpg

I personally think palomino, but what do you guys think?

ETA: I do think she possibly carries silver, but I'm not sold on the buckskin part of the story.

Last edited:
Parmela, that is a good possibility what is going on with my colt. It wasn't evedent that his dam had the sooty factor until she was a year old. Now when she is clipped, she looks like she has a black blanket over her rump and dapples all over. I knew she was a sooty buckskin, but it never occurred to me that the colt could be a palomino with the sooty factor, DAH :DOH!

I think we may have this one figured out now!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back