Palin on environment and wildlife and habitat protection

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wade3504

Reaction score
Just passing this on as I just saw it today. If it were about McCain, Obama, or Biden I would have passed it on as well.

Sarah Palin and the Environment

Governor Sarah Palin has an extreme anti-conservation record on issues ranging from global warming, energy and drilling to wildlife and habitat protection.

Aerial hunting of wolves and bears Global Warming Endangered Species Drilling Clean water and Pebble Mine

Aerial hunting of wolves and bearsGovernor Palin is an active promoter of Alaska's aerial hunting program whereby wolves and bears are shot from the air or chased by airplanes to the point of exhaustion before the pilot lands the plane and a gunner shoots the animals point blank.

Palin offered a $150 bounty for wolves to entice hunters to kill more wolves in certain parts of the state, with hunters having to present a wolf's foreleg to collect the bounty.

She actively opposed a ballot measure campaign seeking to end the aerial hunting of wolves by private hunters and approved a $400,000 state-funded campaign aimed at swaying people's votes on the issue.

She also introduced legislation to make it easier to kill wolves and bears and which would have also removed the aerial hunting initiative from the ballot and block the ability of citizens to vote on the issue.

The Board of Game, which she appoints, has approved the killing of black bear sows with cubs as part of the program and expanded the aerial control programs.

The media is currently looking into reports that state officials implementing one of the aerial wolf killing programs illegally killed five-week old wolf pups just outside their dens.

Another Palin Falsehood...

"...this is about feeding Alaskans"

--Palin spokesperson

If that's true Governor Palin...

Why are sport hunter groups the biggest advocates of aerial hunting as opposed to advocates for the poor or hungry?

Why does the Palin administration allow out of state hunters to hunt and directly compete with rural hunters for supposed limited resources in most of the areas where aerial hunting is done?

Why, in most of the areas where aerial hunting is done, are a majority of the moose taken by urban and non-resident hunters instead of true subsistence hunters?

Why does Palin oppose what is called “rural preference” which would give true rural subsistence hunters priority access over sport hunters to the areas where aerial hunting is conducted?

Aerial hunting is done by private citizens flown by private pilots in private planes. They get to keep and sell the skins of the wolves they kill. Some even pose for traditional hunting trophy shots.

That's sport hunting by anyone's definition.

Global WarmingAs recently as August 2008, Governor Palin questioned whether man-made fossil fuel emissions are responsible for global warming, defying worldwide scientific consensus (Newsmax 8/29/08). And her drill-drill-drill approach to energy issues will do nothing to ease the causes of global warming, promote the use of clean, renewable energy sources, or break our addiction to foreign oil.

Endangered SpeciesPalin has repeatedly opposed the listing of endangered animals under the Endangered Species List despite overwhelming scientific evidence that such listings are warranted.

Polar BearThe U.S. Geological Survey predicts that loss of summer sea ice - crucial habitat for polar bears - could lead to the demise of two-thirds of the world's polar bears by mid-century, including all of Alaska's polar bears. The Bush administration has proposed listing the polar bears as threatened under the ESA to help protect polar bear habitat from threats such as oil and gas development.

Governor Palin has actively opposed the listing of the polar bear despite the fact that Alaska's top marine mammal biologists agreed with the federal scientists who believed the bear should be listed. She wrote the Secretary of Interior urging him not to list the bear on the ground it might hurt the state's oil- and gas-dependent economy. After the bear was listed, she recently filed suit seeking to overturn the listing of polar bears.

Beluga WhalesAlaska's Cook Inlet beluga whales are a unique group of white whales whose numbers have dramatically declined in the past two decades due to pressures ranging from pollution to increased ship traffic. Governor Palin opposes the listing of the Cook Inlet beluga whales, citing the listing as a threat to oil and gas development, despite their genetic uniqueness and the fact that their numbers have decreased from 1,300 in the 1980s to about 350 today.

DrillingPalin is a strong supporter of drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, a vital wilderness area. It is home to hundreds of thousands of caribou who use the refuge as a calving ground, more than one million migratory birds, and countless other wildlife. It's the most important onshore denning habitat for female polar bears. Senator McCain himself has repeatedly voted to protect this pristine wilderness area. Palin is also a supporter of drilling in Bristol Bay and other offshore sites despite the risks to sensitive marine wildlife in the area, including the endangered polar bear and Beluga whale.

Clean Water and Pebble MineGovernor Palin actively campaigned against a state ballot measure this summer aimed at protecting Alaska's Bristol Bay. The mining industry seeks to develop a gold and copper mine in the area that would pollute the Bay's headwaters and threaten the spawning grounds for the largest remaining wild salmon run. The initiative would have prevented large-scale mining operations from dumping waste materials into salmon watersheds.

default_no.gif
Mary-Lou, I think the toad comment was uncalled for. I don't approve of aerial hunting like this, but still.

I did find all this, though: http://www.ontheissues.org/Sarah_Palin.htm#Environment

* Opposed protections for salmon from mining contamination. (Aug 2008)

* Sue US government to stop listing polar bear as endangered. (Aug 2008)

* We must encourage timber, mining, drilling, & fishing. (Jan 2008)

* Wolf predator control is important for subsistence hunters. (Sep 2007)

* Feds shouldn't list beluga whales as endangered. (Aug 2007)

* Provide stability in regulations for developers. (Jan 2007)

* Convince the rest of the nation to open ANWR. (Jan 2007)

* Fish platform: "Resource First" philosophy. (Nov 2006)

* Rail provides critical link for business development. (Nov 2006)

* Supports "Roads to Resources": subsidized access to mines. (Oct 2006)

* Don't duplicate effort in monitoring cruise ship emissions. (Oct 2006)

* Don't amend AK constitution for rural subsistence fishing. (Oct 2006)

Barack Obama recognizes hunting and fishing as family activities. And it also says he wants agencies to encourage young men and women about hunting and fishing opprotunities and wild life management. Obama supports hunting.

Which is what Palin does with the wolves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obama's stance on the environment is pretty different from Palin's, though. There's a difference between tracking deer in the woods and shooting wolves from airplanes, IMO.

And for the record I am all for responsible hunting. My boyfriend's going to teach me to shoot pretty soon.
default_wub.png

Mary Lou in AZ it is called Gigging......

Where I live we have coyotes, BIG COYOTES, German Shephard size coyotes. The game wardens here basically turn their backs to the rules when it comes to the coyotos because of the damage they do, especially to those of us with live stock.

Coyotes come around, guns come out, period.

One of the old time farmers was telling us not to long ago that someone thought they had spotted a wolf. And if this is true, wolves are worse than coyotes. I'm sorry but I'll shoot a coyote/wolf to protect my herds and will have absolutely no trouble doing it. And if shooting coyotes/wolves from an airplane/helicopter is a way to protect live stock, so be it.

Yes LowriseMinis, the toad comment was a bit much... But I laughed at myself while typing it.. so it was all in fun.. really..
I'm still laughing, so is Steve
default_laugh.png

I will also kill any animal threatening my pets, livestock or kids...but I won't do it hanging out of the side of a helicopter
default_wink.png

There is a difference between killing a wolf for protection and killing for sporthunting.

Someone from my riding club just sent me an email about some BLM horses that are being rounded up and either being moved or caught and adopted out. She says they better do this or Palin might start having them hunted down too.
default_wink.png

I saw on tv the other day where a plane was flying low and they were shooting the wolves from the air. This has nothing to do with shooting wolves/coyotes to keep them from killing live stock. We'd all shoot a coyote that was threatening our animals. This was out in the wilderness, not by peoples farms. To shoot from the air is about the most unsportsman like act a hunter can do, the animal had no chance. And they have done this to wild horses already too, the people tried to stop it but couldn't.

Mary Lou, I think the world of you truly. I do not understand though what it is with you and Palin. I'm starting to think she snagged your parking space at the mall the Friday before Christmas.

Sorry, killing coyotoes/wolves via whatever means, fine by mean. If that is what takes to control them, then just do it.

I know that in a farming community, preditors need to be controlled and here, the DNR turned wolves loose without any vote from the farmer, they protected them until they reached a high number and now we can shoot them, big deal, the damge is done, our calves disappear and this is wrong, I'd shoot them in a heart beat if I have a chance to protect my animals BUT, This thread isn't actually about shooting coyotes or wolves, it's alot of other things too, it's showing what Palin stands for. This is stating the fact that she is allowing hunters to shoot from the air, in the wilderness which in Alaska is thousands of square miles, if someone doesn't feel wolves have a right to live, I feel sorry for you. This was for sport, not for "over crowedness" Isn't it odd the way people just twist things around to justify things, this must just be part of life in whole, not just politics. I never realized this before until now that I think about it, I probably twist things too. I won't be back on these political threads any more, I won't even open them to read them, I think people just reach for straws trying to justify their own partys beliefs and behavior, hoping things are going to be ok. I'll just watch the debates, cast my vote in NOV and hope the best man wins. So I'm bowing out of these threads so no one has to listen to me any more. Amen!

I am sorry but shooting wolves from helicopters and planes is not hunting. It is slaughtering.

And yes I am very pro hunting for sport or food. Aeriel wolf hunts are neither.

My educational background is Fish and Wildlife Management. Palin's views on conservation and management are BAD NEWS for wildlife.

Barack Obama recognizes hunting and fishing as family activities. And it also says he wants agencies to encourage young men and women about hunting and fishing opprotunities and wild life management. Obama supports hunting.Which is what Palin does with the wolves.

I do not know much about this, but will say this from what I understand. That aerial hunting of wolves in Alaska began to increase the population of huntable moose.

It always seems so cut and dry to non-hunters...it is cruel to hunt.... There are so many factors that come into play when hunting laws/rules are established. There are things that are researched extensively, for years to determine if there is overpopulation, how many animals NEED to be hunted so that others can thrive or starvation doesn't overcome a species.

Do I think aerial hunting of wolves is wrong?...I can't make that determination without seeing the above information, without seeing stats of wolves/moose/and other animals that are affected by aerial hunting or by the banning of aerial hunting of wolves.

There will be people who automatically dislike Palin because she is a hunter...The vast majority of hunters appreciate/honor/and have more respect/contribute for the animal that they hunt than non hunters...go ahead flame away.... Of course, there are always some bad apples, who do not follow the laws, but you have that in everything. Also hunters contribute more $ to conservation via fees/licenses/etc than any one organization.

Again, without seeing the stats on wolves/moose/etc...I can't make a determination if she is correct in her actions. I tried to find this info on line (DNR information, not political hype and emotions) , but could not, perhaps someone else can.

as I said in another thread when hunting got brought up...hunting is certainly not cruel (be it for sport or food) when you look at where our meat comes from in the supermarkets. I'd love to see some regulations put on some of our chicken farmers/cattle farmers. I would like to see all animals that we eat treated with respect. There are a few restaraunts out there following that lead, only getting their meats from local farms, where animals have pastures and more of a natural existance. If you are anti-hunter because you think it's cruel, then I hope you don't eat your meats from a supermarket! You would be totally disgusted if you look up how these animals spend their lives.

Marnie, I an so sad that you will no longer be submitting your thoughts on these subjects but I do understand why you no longer want to be a part of this. I feel the same way and to add to it there seems to be a few that have such narrow vision/thought that they can't understand why someone can't have a different point of view. To me, it is a real insult to think that I have to think the same as someone else in order to be understood....I see now that it is a waste of time to have anything to do with these threads.
default_no.gif
Mary

I won't be back on these political threads any more, I won't even open them to read them, I think people just reach for straws trying to justify their own partys beliefs and behavior, hoping things are going to be ok. I'll just watch the debates, cast my vote in NOV and hope the best man wins. So I'm bowing out of these threads so no one has to listen to me any more. Amen!

Barack Obama recognizes hunting and fishing as family activities. And it also says he wants agencies to encourage young men and women about hunting and fishing opprotunities and wild life management. Obama supports hunting.Which is what Palin does with the wolves.
Aerial hunting was banned years ago in Alaska, do a search and you will find it, but Palin thinks she is above the law. On top of one of the latest go aheads from her some wolves were shot and their cubs that remained behind were also shot. Disgusting. I could see if it was caribou or whatever for sustanance but killing the wolves and cubs, pure sport and I am not for that kind of killing. She opposed the "endagered species" to add the polar bear to it because it would stop drilling for oil in that area. Do a search as well to find exactly how much oil is really there and how much it would supply the U.S. It is pretty slim, something like 2% of your needs. I am sorry but it doesn't matter what you say about this woman she is no Hillary Clinton, couldn't come close to touching her intelligence in politics. I saw a wonderful picture of Palin with a gun in her arms, lifiting a caribou's head that she had shot with her daughter next to her. I hope she at least ate the caribou and didn't just want a "trophy". I don't like the woman, I find her patronizing, I find she speaks down to people like they are little children and don't understand and on top of that she has no idea about foreign policy and will cause more harm than good when she opens her mouth without thinking. Heaven help the U.S. if McCain/Palin get in but in the last couple of days and seeing what is going on I have a funny feeling that Obama/Biden will have an easier time of being elected now because of the things coming our of McCain/Palin. Their rhetoric and comments are coming home to haunt them and kick them in the behind. Their lies are also catching up with them and that's a good thing.

There has to be a better way....
default_no.gif

(warning, may disturb some)

Mary Lou, No, you're not driving me nuts. It's just something that makes me go "hmmmm....".
confused0006.gif

I just don't get it, but then I genuinely like Palin and McCain both so much
ok.gif

I'm 100% behind the ticket. (yeah... about time I let that cat out of the bag!)
meeting.gif

On top of one of the latest go aheads from her some wolves were shot and their cubs that remained behind were also shot. Disgusting. I could see if it was caribou or whatever for sustanance but killing the wolves and cubs, pure sport and I am not for that kind of killing.

I find it interesting that this is so bothersome to some, but we will support the killing of an unborn child.

Aerial hunting was banned years ago in Alaska, do a search and you will find it, but Palin thinks she is above the law
As did the majority of governers prior to Palin, not like she dreamed this up or something...from the info I found Aerial hunting of wolves has been going on and off in AK since the late 40's and has been an issue. I have yet to find any hard facts/stats regarding it (that aren't fueled by emotion). Yes, the videos you will find are gruesome, as is their intent. Many states have hunting laws that seem gruesome....some may be. In NC, you used to be able to hunt whitetail with coon dogs and hunt from a vehicle (don't know if that's the same anymore)....the dogs would run the deer into the ground and the hunter would follow in a vehicle until the deer would go down due to exhaustion, at which point the deer would be shot.

I'm not saying that she is right in her actions, I don't have enough info, but I will say when I vote for someone I look at the whole picture, and still as a whole, McCain/Palin are the obvious best choice. I didn't get a chance to look up the other issues brought up on this thread, but none would keep me from voting for McCain/Palin.
default_smile.png

I find it interesting that this is so bothersome to some, but we will support the killing of an unborn child.
That is an excellent point!

I also love all animals, but am a firm believer that yes, people do come first!

I for one am for a woman's right to choose in certain situations, so I do not agree with all of McCain/Palin's views, but as I said before, I still feel they are the best choice and will be good for this country.

Latest posts

Back