Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randon0115

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new here, but I was hoping someone could help me solve the problem I’m having with my driving pair.

They’re full brothers, typically very well behaved, who have always been driven together for years. Previously, they did so without issue, whatsoever- they were perfect. However, they’ve now begun leaning away from each other when we’re moving. They’re leaning as far as they can, to the point that they’ll start slipping from tilting themselves almost diagonally in opposite directions. Nothing has changed in their behaviors otherwise, nor with any of their tack.

What would cause them to suddenly start doing this every time? It gets to the point that I have to stop for fear they’ll injure themselves.

Thanks in advance for any help you might have!

Just bumping… we don’t drive but lots of people on here do. I’m guessing they haven’t seen your post. As a non driver my only probably wrong suggestion would be to maybe swap their positions? or try ground driving them together to see if there’s something in the connection to wagon that is causing this? Hope you can solve this mystery!

Just bumping… we don’t drive but lots of people on here do. I’m guessing they haven’t seen your post. As a non driver my only probably wrong suggestion would be to maybe swap their positions? or try ground driving them together to see if there’s something in the connection to wagon that is causing this? Hope you can solve this mystery!
That is what I was thinking. But I've never driven a pair, so it's an interesting situation. Don't our equines keep throwing us surprises!

There are several things that can cause this issue.

Rein adjustment is the first thing I would check. Sometimes if your cross check rein isn't right, it'll create tension between the horses. Our first thought is to tighten those reins to "bring" the horses together, but it just creates more of a fight.

Next would be the pole straps. Make sure that they are adjusted correctly. If they are pulling on the horses, that can cause the horses to pull against each other.

Make sure your traces are adjusted correctly. Sometimes, if they aren't, they'll creat pressure that the horses will fight against.

You can try switching sides with them. Sometimes this works wonders and sometimes it's like starting a new pair, especially if they've always worked one side.

Perhaps you could share a video or photos of them (hitched), to give us a better visual of what could be going on. Sometimes it's something so subtle you don't really see it, but feel it.

Experiment with your coupling rein lengths. Hardy Zantke says if you take one rein back a hole, you must move the other horse's rein forward, then the reins will be more effective. Try lengthening the pole straps. And remember that the outside rein on each horse should have some feel on it. Unfortunately, this problem requires some thoughtful trial and error!

Latest posts

Back