Pair and Multiple Hitch Driving - Wagon types?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't sell yourself short on your ablity to build one yourself. I'm not very handy myself and I made one from scratch that suits my needs prity well. It"s not show quaity by a long shot but I like it for what I do around here. I say give it a shot you may be surprised.

Well it is not as much about building ability as personalities and time
default_smile.png
I am kind of a clutz so power tools and saws don't go to well with me and well my husband and I have been married 12 years and we learned a long time ago that we can't work on projects very well together
default_smile.png
He is also not into the horses so I hate to have him use all his time for this.

I'm going to keep looking. I have others trying to help as well. It seems the big factors are size and weight. A lot of the actual "mini" size wagons seem to be for size A minis rather than my size B minis.

Thanks everyone for the help. Keep the info coming!

Have you ever attended the Mt Hope Auction? I've heard there are sometimes used wagons that go thru the sale at decent prices and in good shape.

We are still unpacking boxes and I think I " buried" my latest copy of the Rural Heritage magazine. That, or after spending all day out in the sun (farrier - 6 head, hauling feed from store, then hooking trailer and going to get a load of hay), I'm just to whipped to think straight and remember where I put it exactly... So, no new address(s)/contacts yet.

Have you thought about a wagon that has the seating (rahter than a hitch wagon)? Here is ours from Pioneer - it is on the 1/2 ton gear undercarriage. It does have some customization (blocks under the springs - raising the seats), Springs actually under the seats (not originally done that way), some wood cut out where the springs put under the rear seat... I know there was some other things done, but now can't remember exactly what...The mare on the right is 40" and the mare on the left is 43" at her high & knifey withers. I should be able to have both smaller "mini" sized ponies put it (our smallest mare is 35/36") and larger as well (largest is 1/2 shet that is 46") with it still looking OK, but I haven't actually tried that yet. For a 4-up, I still need to change the tongue "hook up" for the leader pair's double tree to attach...

14oct25church391.jpg

14oct25church394.jpg

Bsharp - I LOVE that 2nd wagon (ivory)...

I already have a wagon similar to yours. I don't like it for hooking more than a team. I am short and feel like I need to sit higher plus I really want a wagon similar to the look and function of a draft show hitch type. I have been to Mt hope several times. I have not seen the type of wagon I am looking for yet. I think I have the sizing worked out now from everyone's help. Seems like I need one similar in size to the ivory wagon BSHARP has to have it function and look like I want. Now the search is on.

For some reason I can't post pics on here but I have a hitch wagon myself and the one thing I don't like about mine is it top heavy so make sure you get yourself one that has plenty of width. Another suggestion I have is look for one that has a fifth wheel. That gives you the ability to have a full swing, and rubber wheels or wooden wheels more often then not you see wooden wheels but I know rubber wheels are acceptable.

If it's helpful, here's a couple photos of our wagons.

10417640_10152464425476883_3357722836673502699_n.jpg

247290_10151078514636883_499298449_n.jpg

1934572_125179996882_2694035_n.jpg
May I ask what size your minis are? Are you willing to share any wagon dimensions? BEAUTIFUL. Thanks for sharing.

For some reason I can't post pics on here but I have a hitch wagon myself and the one thing I don't like about mine is it top heavy so make sure you get yourself one that has plenty of width. Another suggestion I have is look for one that has a fifth wheel. That gives you the ability to have a full swing, and rubber wheels or wooden wheels more often then not you see wooden wheels but I know rubber wheels are acceptable.
This is a really good point. If you are willing to share any dimensions so I can avoid this that would be great. I'm still on the hunt
default_smile.png

Does anyone have any thoughts about this wagon size/style wise? I'm thinking hard about this one.

7'6" long, 3'6" wide, 4' to seat, rubber wheels but wooden wheels come with it too (but I think they are all the same size), springs, 5th wheel.

I think it is a little shorter than I would like but might do well enough for my little local show. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you

kentucky wagon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
May I ask what size your minis are? Are you willing to share any wagon dimensions? BEAUTIFUL. Thanks for sharing.
Our horses are all large A size - 33-34"

Willing to share dimensions, don't know what they are - let me know what you'd like to know and I can measure the black one for you. It's a titch smaller than the others, was cut down on the last rebuild and we like it better now.

I think from what folks have posted here and sent to me privately I may have enough dimensions for now but thank you.

Willing to share dimensions, don't know what they are - let me know what you'd like to know and I can measure the black one for you. It's a titch smaller than the others, was cut down on the last rebuild and we like it better now.

Kendra -

R U willing to share what you did during the re-build? I would love to know what and how you did it and the "whys". I guess making it a bit smaller would be a good "why" - but I'm curious.

How hard/easy was it to re-build? Did you/your family do the re-build or did you have it done by a company that specializes in that type of work?

Could start a new thread - so we don't "steal" this one...

Last edited by a moderator:
Kendra -

R U willing to share what you did during the re-build? I would love to know what and how you did it and the "whys". I guess making it a bit smaller would be a good "why" - but I'm curious.

How hard/easy was it to re-build? Did you/your family do the re-build or did you have it done by a company that specializes in that type of work?

Could start a new thread - so we don't "steal" this one...
My Grandad did the rebuild .... but he also did the original build. ;) The wood was rotting after 15 or 20 years of use and needed to be redone, so he made some changes while he was at it. He made the seat a little lower, and the whole wagon about 8" shorter, which mostly made it much easier to fit in the trailer. ;) I believe it's a little bit narrower as well.

The green wagon is metal - no rotting for it, but a little heavier. All of them have a full fifth wheel - you can swing the horses around right next to the wagon. I think that's a hugely important feature if you're wagon shopping, for safety as well as maneuverability. Watch as well, because that's going to be the weakest point - many years ago we were loading a wagon after a demo at Spruce Meadows and the front wheels fell off, which inspired a redesign and rebuild of all the fifth wheel wagons around here.

Latest posts

Back