Paint patterns, how do you get a grullo, information on blue eyes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanessa101

Reaction score
How do you tell a pattern on a paint miniature

how do you tell if he/she is tobiano, frame overo, splash, sabino and ext?

can tobianos have blue eyes?

and this question has caught my mind

how to get a grullo with both parents not being a grullo

like will a palomino to a black have a chance of producing grullo

as next tuesday coming up i am going to go look at purchasing a black and white pinto 34.5 inch mare that has a partial blue eye

so i do have questions on blue eyes

if a mare has a partial blue eye dose she have a 50/50 percent chance to produce a partial blue eye foal and what if the stud i breed her too dosent have doesnt have blue eyes willl there still be a chance?

and is there any beniftt/disbenafits of a horse having blue eye?

How do you tell a pattern on a paint miniature
The most reliable way is genetic color testing. You can also consult someone who is knowledgable about the PINTO patterns (Paint is a breed of horse).

how do you tell if he/she is tobiano, frame overo, splash, sabino and ext?
Genetic testing or consulting a knowledgable person.

can tobianos have blue eyes?
Blue eyes on a tobiano indicate that another pattern is present.

and this question has caught my mindhow to get a grullo with both parents not being a grullo
A grulla/o is a black horse with the dun dilution. To get a grulla a horse must be black based with no Agouti modifier and the dun dilution.

like will a palomino to a black have a chance of producing grullo
No because a palomino has the cream dilution and not the dun dilution so it cannot produce a grulla if bred to a black.

as next tuesday coming up i am going to go look at purchasing a black and white pinto 34.5 inch mare that has a partial blue eye

so i do have questions on blue eyes

if a mare has a partial blue eye dose she have a 50/50 percent chance to produce a partial blue eye foal and what if the stud i breed her too dosent have doesnt have blue eyes willl there still be a chance?

and is there any beniftt/disbenafits of a horse having blue eye?
The inheritance of blue eyes is completely unpredictable even when Splash and/or Frame which are known to produce blue eyes are present. Non-blue eyed individuals can produce blue eyes and blue eyed individuals can produce non-blue eyes.

Latest posts

Back