Painful foot/ankle after brace removed from broken leg.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
I'm trying not to complain because many people are suffering much more than this but it hurts so much.

I was recently given permission to remove my full length leg brace after a tibia plateau fracture (where the leg bone meets the knee). Great, thought I, now I can start to do stuff.

Not so. The pain in my ankle and foot has me hobbling in the worst way and in awful pain. The foot and leg swell up during the day and go down again over night. I'm wearing an ankle support and having physio for the leg. I've put the leg brace back on when I go outside to the horses and often use the crutches again.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and what you did about it.

I haven't experienced it, but depending on how long you were in the cast, its likely atrophied muscles from lack of use while in the cast and as you gain strength the discomfort will subside. [Also the tendons and ligaments are probably not as flexible as they were likely in a fixed position while in the cast, so also need to "learn" how to work again.] I would discuss it with your physical therapist to be sure its not something more serious.

Oh Honey, I am the Queen of broken bones and let me tell you, I always expected when the cast comes off, its a done deal. Not so. Every single time I have counted on that, it didn't happen. I think these Doctors think we are made of steel or something because we all don't bounce back like a younger kid would. I've had a broken leg, arms, wrist, ankle, collar bone, two screwed up knees now and the list goes on and so did the pain and nasty looking flesh covered up by the casts. I have an arm that I broke badly in a wreck, hand etc. and it hurts still even now and then and actually never got the full use of it and it still is weird looking and doesn't match my other arm if that makes any sense. My mistake was not complaining when I should have. There's usually exercises you can do to get strength back so try youtube for examples but do call your Doc first because now is the time to address it and boy I'd be wanting some of those good feeling little things that come in a bottle too. Good luck to feeling better soon.

If you have spent time indoors healing get your vitamin D checked. Easy blood test.

I had vitamin D deficiency and it was responsible for the worst chronic pain ever. They tested me for MS, thought I had fibromyalgia, told me I had arthritis or bursitis in my joints and I was going to neurological doctor and getting physical therapy. I had several joints almost locked totally up and my shoulder pain was so bad I could hardly comb my hair and my legs would get so bad I had trouble with stairs. Not complaining, just listing the endless issues that all turned out to be as a direct result of vitamin D deficiency. Over 50% of us will test low regardless of age or amount of time or lack of time spent in the sun. My doctor did the test along with lyme and I am so glad she added on that test. changed my life. Vitamin D deficiency can really slow up healing. I blamed my pain on a horse wreck I had, little did I know that it was coming from a simple vitamin deficiency. Best wishes. Hope you can find some relief.

I know exactly where you are coming from.

It hurts like heck.

For about 5 years I'd tear the ligaments in alternate ankles.

Doctor would wrap me for 6-8 weeks and I used crutches or hopped

on one leg (easier than crutches). Doctor said I'd be better off to just

have a break than to keep tearing ligaments.

The leg muscles would atrophy and trying to walk again was very painful.

Tears running down my face painful.

Only thing that worked for me was to go to the beach and walk in the sand.

My husband would carry me from the car to the sand.

The sand seemed to cushion the foot better and had give to it that the ground

did not. After a few days of doing that regularly during the day, I'd be able to

start putting weight on the leg again and the pain started disappearing.

If you've a sandy beach nearby that is the only thing I found that worked for me.

Good luck - hope you feel better soon.

Back