Paddock footing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharondoright

Reaction score
hey everyone. We have a nice fenced dry lot with heavy clay base. We have dealt with stall footing with deep compacted crushed stone Andre stall mats. During wet weather, our dirt / clay gets slick and sticky. Would like economical options to mitigate the slime for this year. Next year I am thinking to put railroad ties around edge of paddock, and throw crushed rock down, followed by arena sand. Area is about 50’x64’ including barn space. Thanks.

An economical solution that has worked for me is old carpet with the jute side up. The rain runs off the roof of my horse motel and makes a soggy area; that is the favorite spot for the hroses to stand so it is a trampled mess. The carpet lasts almost a year, with occasional rainfall. In soggy weather I replace it every few months. I asked the carpet store for some; they said dog kennels use it alot. Now I just stop by their dump trailer behind the store and pick out a piece that will work for me. This might work in some of the worst areas of the paddock until you can get your sand.

I have the same issue with clay. I add sand each year, but my fenced area is on a slope, so it gets washed away quickly. I like the carpet idea! I hate clay! Clay is hard on hooves,and coat. My little guy is a white/brown paint.He hates to get wet, but he loves to roll in wet clay.Not a pretty sight. I am going to try the carpet. Thank-you Marsha,you are a wealth of knowledge.

Back