Oxytocin

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyndiD

Reaction score
I have a mare that just delivered a really nice, healthy filly and doesn`t seem to have a full bag...not like my other mares did...so wondering if oxytocin will help it come in?? Any thoughts appreciated!

Congratulations on your new baby!
default_laugh.png

Is there milk there if you squeeze? Some mares just dont get a real full bag, but as long as there is milk there, i wouldnt be concerned
default_smile.png
It may or may not get bigger and fuller with the filly nursing, but as long as she is getting what she needs, she'll be fine
default_yes.gif

Congratulations on your new baby!
default_laugh.png

Is there milk there if you squeeze? Some mares just dont get a real full bag, but as long as there is milk there, i wouldnt be concerned
default_smile.png
It may or may not get bigger and fuller with the filly nursing, but as long as she is getting what she needs, she'll be fine
default_yes.gif

Thanks so much!!

Mare is being difficult as this is her first foal and I have had to tie her and twitch her..but baby seems to be getting something. I did get some when I tried to milk her, so there is some there...just scared me that maybe I would have a big problem!!

Oh, and yes, if there isnt milk there, then a shot of Oxytocin should help bring it in. But if she has some sort of udder, then id see if the foal can stimulate her to let down her milk first
default_smile.png

Sounds like she is getting what she needs then
default_smile.png
It isnt uncommon for a maiden mare to not bag up fully. Id say you have nothing to worry about. But just keep an eye on them, and enjoy your new filly!
default_aktion033.gif

If the milk is there & just hasn't come down yet the oxytocin will bring it down, but if the mare simply doesn't have a lot of milk, the oxytocin won't make her make more milk. So, if after a few days you discover that the foal isn't getting enough, the oxytocin isn't likely to be of benefit at that point.

Anyway, do watch the foal carefully. The mare may have a small bag & still have enough milk, but don't assume that such is the case. If the foal is nursing a lot, and often, it may be a sign that there isn't enough milk & the foal is hungry. She may be getting enough to survive, but not enough to thrive on--as long as she is lively and doing well/looking good, she probably has enough. If she isn't real active and/or looks kind of rough, not even rough, just not growing/filling out as a foal does in the first week, that is a sign that she's not getting enough milk.

Oxytocin will not cause milk to be produced. If you have an issue with fescue or other reasons for not having any milk, a drug called Domperidone (I think I spelled that right) is needed. Oxy will help release the milk that is already produced (head bumping causes the mare to release oxy which causes her to start dripping).

Thanks for the help everyone!! I really learned something on this one...she is finally allowing baby to nurse without intervention. Been down there off and on all day tieing her up and letting baby nurse.

Boy..am I glad Mother Nature finally kicked in!!!

But I have to say I have never seen a mare with such a small udder!! She just doesn`t even look like anything is "there" but after one nursing session I did see some dripping and I could milk some out...just not like anything else I have seen. Baby does nurse frequently.

Again, thanks for 'being there' when I needed help...and reassurance...
default_wub.png

Cyndi, I had a maiden mare this year who didnt get a big bag and I was freaking out about it. I had the vet out to check the foal's IGG levels and it was fine.Matter of fact my mare's nipples were still pointed inward. My vet said that next time I breed her she will probably milk normally. He just said that the foal probably wont get as fat as my others but it would be just fine.. I would get your foals Igg levels checked just to be sure but i really think you should be fine.. Congratulations on your new filly.. OK so where's the pictures?????

Thanks for the help everyone!! I really learned something on this one...she is finally allowing baby to nurse without intervention. Been down there off and on all day tieing her up and letting baby nurse.

Boy..am I glad Mother Nature finally kicked in!!!

But I have to say I have never seen a mare with such a small udder!! She just doesn`t even look like anything is "there" but after one nursing session I did see some dripping and I could milk some out...just not like anything else I have seen. Baby does nurse frequently.

Again, thanks for 'being there' when I needed help...and reassurance...
default_wub.png
I would sure consider getting an IgG done to make sure your foal has gotten the necessary immunities in the first critical hours after birth.

I feel an IgG is absolutely mandatory for any and every foal.
default_smile.png
Also a placenta exam, which you can do yourself once you learn what to look for. $50 can prevent thousands of dollars of expense and broken hearts.

Latest posts

Back