Oxibendazole users

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
I recently discovered that worms are now showing resistance to Panacur and was wondering if anyone uses

Oxibendazole.

I have itchy butted horses that zimecterin gold 6 weeks ago doesn't seem to be helping.

Can you give the oxibendazole in a 5 day double dose like panacur?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I have no information to answer your actual question but are you sure the horse is itchy because of worms? There are a number of other things that can lead a horse to itching. There is a thread on here from this morning that describes some of the causes.

Sorry I have no information to answer your actual question but are you sure the horse is itchy because of worms? There are a number of other things that can lead a horse to itching. There is a thread on here from this morning that describes some of the causes.
Yep I checked that thread. Alot of good ideas there. Unfortunately I've checked all those suggestions. And I will bath them all with Lime Sulfur this weekend.

Tail rubbing is caused from pinworms, you need to use pyrantel pamoate (Strongid brand name) to kill the pinworms, I don't think that fenbendazole, ivermectin (in Zimectrin Gold) or oxibendazole is as effective on pinworms.

The double dose of fenbendazole for 5 days is to kill encycsted strongyles and will not have anything to do with tail rubbing.

Sometimes insect bites or allergies cause it too. Have you talked with your vet about it?

The Ivermectin packaging says it gets rid of Pinworms (adults and fourth-stage larvae). Is this not the case?

Jill thats what my vet told me. I also talked with Dr. Barr at Rood and Riddle a large vet clinic in Kentucky and she said horses are now showing resistance to certain types of wormers. So I am looking for a wormer that I have never used on my horses before. And this one is the only one. I was hoping someone had used it and it cured the itchy butt. Panacur double dose didn't, zimecterin gold or zimectrin didn't and neither did the pamoate. I'm going to try it this weekend I'll post my results.

Here is my cheat sheet for dewormers as you can see some 'families/Drug Classes' are not rotating dewomer as they really are the same family. Also some of the same dewormer can come in different strengths.

This is by no means all inclusive list. Everyone should consult their vet and do their research on a deworming program that fits your horses/circumstances.

Drug Class – Macrocyclic lactone = IVERMECTIN 1.87%

Ineffective against TW & En LV stages of SS. Allows parasite infestation between dewormings

(Adult SS, LS, PW, A, THW, LW, HW, DH)

Rotectin 1 (Farnam)

Equimectrin (Merial)

Zimectrin

IverCare (Farnam)

Bimectin (Bimeda, Inc.)

Equelll (Pfizer)

Eqvalan

Equimectrin

IverEase (Farnam) on feed formula

PRAZIQUANTEL Ivermectin w/praziquantel

EquiMax (Pfizer)

1.87% Ivermectin

14.03% Praziquantel

Zimectrin Gold Controls 61 species and stages of equine parasites, including tapeworms.

1.55% Ivermectin

7.75% praziquantel

DRUG Class - BENZIMIDAZOLES

Infective against bots, allows reinfestation between worming. Increases resistance to Benzimadoles by some parasites

FENBENDAZOLE (En SS in h.d. L/S adult S, A, PW)

- Panacur (both are made by Intervet. Panacur is prescribed/Safe-Guard is OTC)

- Safe-Guard®

Safe-Guard® Cattle Drench Fenbendazole 10% solution is the same generic Dose at 2.3ml per 100 lbs.

Safe-Guard® Paste is 5 gm for 220 lbs (2.3 mg per lbs)

Safe Guard® Equine Dewormer Granules 22.2% Fenbenazole (daily)

Safe-Guard® Equi-Bits™0.5% Fenbendazole on feed 6-8 wks

OXIBENDANZOLE 22.7% (En SS in h.d., L/S adult S, A , PW)

- Anthelcide EQ Paste (Pfizer)

OXIFENDAZOLE (L/SS, PW, A)

- Benzelmin

DRUG CLASS - Pyrimidine

PYRANTE PAMOATE 43.9% Ineffective against bots, doesn’t kill migrating larvae, allows reinfestation between deworming. (L/SS, A, PW, kills TW in h.d. (used in humans for pinworms?)

Rotectin P (formerly Rotation 2)

Strongid (Pfizer)

Exodus Paste (Bimeda, Inc.)

Liqui-Care (Farnam) liquid

PYRANTEL TARTRATE 1.06- 2.11% Ineffective against bots. (L/SS, A, PW, D.P.C)

Continuex™ Daily Dewormer (Farnam)

Equi Aid CW® (Equi Aid)

Strongid C 1.06% (Pfizer)

Strongid C 2X 2.11% (Pfizer)

Strongyle Wormer 1.06% (Equi Aid)

Equine Wormer Pellets 1.25% (Kaeco)

Purina Colt & Horse Wormer (pellet every 6-8 wks) (L/SS, A, PW) ineffective against bots.

Allows reinfestation between deworming)

Drug class Macrocyclic lactone - MILBEMYCIN/MOXIDECTIN 2%

Ineffective against TW. Allows reinfestion between deworming. (B, L/SS, En SS, Lrv, PW, A, HW, SW)

Quest® Gel(Ft. Dodge)

ComboCare Gel

2% Moxidectin/12.5% Praziquantel

KEY:

D.P.C=Decreases Pasture Contamination

h.d.= high doses

En=encrysted

TW=Tapeworms

THW=Threadworms

LW=Lungworms

HW=Hairworms

DH=Draschia Habronema Lrv=Larva