Owner transfer questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheyAut

Reaction score
I sold a mini, and at this point in time, the new owner doesn't really want to join AMHA or AMHR due to the cost, as for right now she's not going to be doing anything that would require membership, except the owner transfer. If I gave her a work order with my name and membership numbers, can she transfer the mini to her name withouth having to pay a membership fee?

They may be cracking down on things, but in the past I did just what you described for new people and there wasn't a problem. Not sure if things are changing, though.

I think it would be more proper (for lack of a better word) for you to send them in and sign all the papers yourself. There is some rule about knowingly submitting paperwork that is false. This could be construed as false since she is pretending to be you?? I wouldnt take any chances and just do it myself
default_smile.png

Kay

I don't know the answer to your question so I would suggest calling the Registry offices and ask there...get the info 'from the horse's mouth' so to speak.
default_smile.png

But your question got me to thinking so I went and checked the AMHA Stud Book and found 9 horses our farm has produced since 1991 which have never been transferred out of our name. I didn't look at any we have sold which were not of our breeding but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are still in our name.

to not transfer a horse seems to me to be a disservice to the horse since it is likely he may eventually get seperated from his papers and become unregistered. I know registration doesn't guarantee a good life for the horse, but maybe it helps a little. I hear from 'horse auction' workers about the 'grade' minis going to not good places or passing through in horrible condition.

I am thinking I will start doing the transfers for buyers. At least the horse will leave here on the right foot. It will make me feel like I did everything I could anyway.

Sorry, I got off topic there. Email the registries with your question. I've found both to be quite helpful.

Charlotte

When I sell a Mini I collect the monies for transfer fees , have all paperwork properly signed and send it in under my work order.You can even request that papers be sent to new owner,This has worked in the past and many Newbies don't understand how to do the paperwork.It helps them and assures that the horse is transfered.However if the horse is young and needs to be brought permanent later the new owner must join the registry.I reaaly wish there was a Non-member fee again,.I think this would eliminate some paper issues.

Ditto on bringing back the "non-member" fees. I have sold 2 horses that are still in my name because the new owners didn't want to join the registry.
default_sad.png

I did this once, long time a go, with AMHR, on one of the first horses we bought. They allowed it--the work order had the seller's name & address & membership number and I wrote the check to send with it. No problems there at that time.

With AMHA the same thing did not work--said the non-member fee applied. If I'd given the money to the seller & she sent it in it would have been fine, but because the name on the check didn't match the name on the membership, it didn't work for them. Their reasoning was they couldn't let "just anybody" use their membership, or they'd get no money, everyone would use one person to do all the registry work..... honestly, that was the most foolish reasoning I'd ever heard....it wasn't "just anybody" it was one of the parties directly involved in the transaction, which isn't quite the same as if A were using his membership to pay for a transfer from B to C.... In view of that I would have to guess that what you're wanting to do in this case will not be allowed. If you want to use your membership for the transfer with AMHA you need to have your buyer give you the transfer fee and then you send it all in.

default_saludando.gif
Hello I have done it the way they have said above with AMHA, but I send in the transfer with my payment and the new owners signature/address on the transfer paper. AMHA send them back the transferred horse registration papers in their name and to their address. I did it that way early this year on a gelding I sold and every thing went just fine with my name and address on the AMHA Customer Work Order from them a long with my payment. The customer pays me the transfer fee and then I send it in with my personal check to AMHA with NO PROBLEM at all.

default_aktion033.gif
Darwin

Last edited by a moderator:
default_saludando.gif
Ditto Darwin
default_rolleyes.gif
I too send in and pay for folks that are new to the mini world as a courtesy to them. I do the photos (I give them copies of everthing and explain the process) and do the work order and send the check in with my membership. I feel it gets it done proper and do not worry about the horse being stuck in my name .
default_laugh.png

Back