overpopulation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUOTE(Katiean @ Dec 4 2007, 03:50 PM)
If all classes of buyers are not given access to stud ownership then the breed is for the elite only.

Only if the only reason to own them is to breed.

This is the only breed I have ever been involved in where I have seen opinions like this, and it boggles my mind. I really do not understand it. In quarter horses or arabians or anything else no one would suggest that if someone can't have a stallion than that breed is only for the elite. BREEDING may only be for the "elite" in that case but that does not mean that it makes the entire breed only for the elite just because not everyone could have a stallion in their barn.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif

Why does everyone think that they HAVE to breed the horses they have? I think all new owners should start with geldings. Figure things out...go to shows....LEARN. Then maybe people wouldn't be so adament about breeding everything. More likely than not a high quality stallion isn't going to be offered for dirt cheap. If they were then...well... where would our breed be? Where would any breed be?

I swear... Are some of you reading these posts with decoder rings or something??? Some of the responses I am reading are out of left field. No one has even implied some of the things certain ones of you want to pretend have been said.

Tagalong, you obviously have no idea what it takes to make a good driving horse. The sport of driving is not meant for the "rest" (those not good enough for halter classes, as you insinuate) it takes a lot of athleticism to be a great driving horse and some of the best world champion halter horses don't have it.

Your one example of a driving horse who isn't reproducing is not enough to prove the point your trying to make.

A top driving horse has just as much a chance to reproduce his driving qualities as a halter horse has at reproducing their halter qualities.

The best halter conformation doesnt make the best performance conformation. For example, perfectly straight hind legs is actually a disadvantage in the jumper ring, as the angles of cow hocks gives the horse more of a foundation and better use of its hind end power. Reiners prefer sickle hocked horses because they are better able to get those sliding stops and quick pivots. It works the same way for the various sports involved in miniatures(driving and performance).

And though there will always be ignorant people, there are plenty of experienced people who DO know the difference between cute and quality. Not being a show prospect, doesnt make a horse poor quality.

Breeding shouldn't be for EVERYONE, but it shouldn't just be for those of you who have top show horses either. There is a middle ground. There are experienced, and informed people who dont show, dont have top show horses, and do want to breed. And I think that is a great experience for those people, who can do it with the horses best health and safety interest in mind.

And luckily, many of those people are not intimidated and they have their minds of their own, so they will continue to enjoy their horses and their hobby, and breed if they choose, while those who think they are too good for "pet quality" whine about it.

I swear... Are some of you reading these posts with decoder rings or something??? Some of the responses I am reading are out of left field. No one has even implied some of the things certain ones of you want to pretend have been said.
I have to agree......I don't see where some are really reading what others are saying. It's like the Forum on crack.
default_wacko.png

So Lisa, YOU have the right to breed miniature Horses and I Don't because I am on a fixed income? Very interesting...
I would have to second Carol and third Jill and say HUH? gues I must need one of those decoder rings for the forum. I must have bought the wrong box of cereal this week
default_wacko.png

Boy, I have to agree with Vertial Limits.... This is like reading a novel that just keeps going in circles..... It is making me dizzy going round and round and round and round and round....anyone else getting vertigo?

Lisa, You said only a few people should be able to breed. I was assuming you would consider yourself one of those. But things you said made me think that since I do not have a lot of money you felt I should not breed my horses as surly they would not be of quality since I did not pay thousands for them.

Katiean said:

Lisa, You said only a few people should be able to breed. I was assuming you would consider yourself one of those
Lisa said:

And before anyone gets panties in a bunch I am including myself in that and due to that have decieded to no longer breed at least not any time in the near future.
What the heck? People are making too many "assumptions" here. This is turning into a comedy......If you can't bother really reading what someone else has to say then you shouldn't bother posting....especially if you are directing your post at them.

Yep, crack...............
default_laugh.png

I don't know anyone on this forum and am not a breeder nor do I want to be. Actually, I wish everyone would lay off breeding so much. What I think is ticking people off in this discussion is a certain few that seem to think they are the only ones capable of breeding "properly". I don't really even think breeding is the topic anymore, it's just people ticked at the attitudes.

I'm sure the elite few have some very nice horses but get off your "high horse" and realize that others may have nice horses too. You don't have the monopoly on them. GEEEZ!!!

People don't always realize that when someone's happy with what they have, it does not mean they look down on what another has. Hand in hand with that thought is you shouldn't let anyone else's success take away from your own. I think some people take their own jealousy and twist it outward at others.

I have not been reading this thread much.. BUT... I had our LB Technicians come up with this LB Forum Decoder Ring... He promises if you come to a message thread that gets a bit goofy on the forum, you just slip this ring on your middle finger, go outside and YELL to the top of your lungs, come back to the LB Forum and everything should make sense again..

We are selling these SPECIAL Decoder Rings for a small price of $99.95 per ring + $19.95 shipping. All profits go to ME.

BUT wait, if you order your ring today and pay by PayPal, you get it at half price of $49.95 and we will ship FREE!

diversions_funcode.jpg

How many you want??

LOL!! Good one Mary Lou!!
default_thumbup.gif

ML no wonder I couldnt find the magic ring.. I was looking on the back of cereal boxes now I know where I can get one and SUCH A BARGIN TO
default_wink.png

Last edited:
Mary Lou..you are the best!
default_aktion033.gif
Excellent post..love the ring...I'd be happy to carry an unlimited supply on the Path...heaven knows we all could use this splendid ring. :DOH!

(seriously ML..that was GREAT!
default_thumbup.gif
)

Tagalong, you obviously have no idea what it takes to make a good driving horse. The sport of driving is not meant for the "rest" (those not good enough for halter classes, as you insinuate) it takes a lot of athleticism to be a great driving horse and some of the best world champion halter horses don't have it.
Well - you are wrong and making such obvious (and inaccurate) assumptions about me - and my experience - that I can only smile and shake my head....
default_biggrin.png
... so I'll do my best to forget all those CDE weekends, dressage jobs etc.

Breed the best to the best and drive the rest simply means that if your horse is not a halter specimen - you can still enjoy them and have fun and be successful - why did you choose to see it as a slam? It isn't. I did not insinuate anything. You only seem to want to find fault...

Your one example of a driving horse who isn't reproducing is not enough to prove the point your trying to make.
It was just an example - I was not trying to prove anything. Yeeeeesh.
default_unsure.png

A top driving horse has just as much a chance to reproduce his driving qualities as a halter horse has at reproducing their halter qualities.
Of course - but that one horse never has - not to his level of success. Just as some halter horses have never produced anything that equals or surpasses them.

The best halter conformation doesnt make the best performance conformation. For example, perfectly straight hind legs is actually a disadvantage in the jumper ring, as the angles of cow hocks gives the horse more of a foundation and better use of its hind end power. Reiners prefer sickle hocked horses because they are better able to get those sliding stops and quick pivots. It works the same way for the various sports involved in miniatures(driving and performance).
Actually - a slightly steep croup is more desireable in jumpers than cow hocks - as countless Warmblood breeders have stated. But then, different breeders look for different things. I was only suggesting that we should try to aim for the best of all qualities in our horses - the all-around type... form to function. Performance and conformation. The perfect horse does not exist... and never will. But we can try to find him. We have been fortunate enough to have horses achieve both halter and driving championships - as have many others. Who knew that was a bad thing to aim for....
default_wink.png

And though there will always be ignorant people, there are plenty of experienced people who DO know the difference between cute and quality. Not being a show prospect, doesnt make a horse poor quality.
As I said in previous posts - there are excellent horses out there who will never see a show. But that is not always the case - and a tour around assorted farm websites will show you that. A show prospect does not have to show - but he/she can still be put together in the right way... yep - have to say it again - form to function. Good conformation has a purpose. It is not just cosmetic.

Breeding shouldn't be for EVERYONE, but it shouldn't just be for those of you who have top show horses either. There is a middle ground. There are experienced, and informed people who dont show, dont have top show horses, and do want to breed. And I think that is a great experience for those people, who can do it with the horses best health and safety interest in mind.
Bolding mine. No one ever said that and yet that is thrown out over and over and over again. One last time... quality counts. And just any old "herd sire" who should have been a gelding and any old badly put together mare should not be bred - for fun... for profit... for pets... for show... for any reason. Start with the odds in your favour - not already against you.

I wish that minis had evaluations the way that other breeds - especially in Eurupe - do. There are very few "middle-ground" and no poor quality breeding stock allowed in the stud books and everyone truly has a goal of bettering the breed... at every level.

And luckily, many of those people are not intimidated and they have their minds of their own, so they will continue to enjoy their horses and their hobby, and breed if they choose, while those who think they are too good for "pet quality" whine about it.
Seriously? Wow. No one was "intimidating" anyone. Where??!!

IMO any perceived "whining" is coming from those who say anyone can breed anything and should do so and Not Just The Elite (whoever they have decided the Elite to be - it certainly is not us) and that the Elite are only in it for $$$$$$$$$$ and no other reason and Don't You Forget It!!
default_biggrin.png
And obviously you do not actually READ any posts but your own in detail - or you would have noted that I and others have said that we have had pet quality horses - very nice ones - even ex-show horses - and found them excellent homes... but never mind.... round and round it goes...
default_wacko.png
... and everyone will do as they please... and some will keep pointing fingers... and so on and so on...

But when some of us are actually SNEERED at for wanting to better the breed... in all aspects....
default_no.gif

I'm sure the elite few have some very nice horses but get off your "high horse" and realize that others may have nice horses too. You don't have the monopoly on them. GEEEZ!!!
I saw no one on any High Horse. And No One said that others did not have nice horses.... oy.
default_wacko.png

[SIZE=8pt]My head hurts. [/SIZE]

And who exactly are these Elite Few, anyway??
default_unsure.png
:

What the heck? People are making too many "assumptions" here. This is turning into a comedy......If you can't bother really reading what someone else has to say then you shouldn't bother posting....especially if you are directing your post at them.
Well said, Carol.

Mary Lou - you accept PayPal? Great - I'll take a decoder ring for each finger. And toe.
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Dad gum! Yalls are good!

I took off for the past 24 hours Christmasin the house up, and looky here, yalls are up to page 12 already.

Just can't seem to figure out what the heck anyone is talking about
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif

Can anyone say "TROLL?"

Actually, I wish that were the case...

After slogging my way through this entire thread (blurry eyes and all), I've gone from wonder to total incredulity to shrieking with hysterical laughter.

Mary Lou, I was going to order one of your Decoder Rings, but your post led me to believe that you are an elitist and think that your Decoder Rings are better than the rest. I'm going to buy one from my neighbor who sells them for $19.95. Hers don't work, don't fit, and don't look very nice, but they're just as worthy as yours!

Looking at the decoder ring, do they come with purple centers? Either the kind that Mary Lou sells, or the kind that Susanne's neighbor sells that don't really work or fit well. I really like purple.

Latest posts

Back