Overos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joylee123

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I was just curious. If a person wanted to start an Overo (say frame Overo) breeding program where would you start? What to what has the highest percentage of producing overo? I know about checking to make sure two horses being bred together aren't both carrying LWO. But that's really about all I know :DOH! [/SIZE]

Just curious
default_smile.png

Thanks,

Joy

I don't think it much matter how loud or how minimally marked they are. I think they either carry the gene or don't, and if they do carry it, they are just as apt to produce it no matter how minimum or maximum they are marked. That said however, I would prefer to breed a nice loud visual frame. I also really like breeding LWO(frame) to wild sabino, as then you have a higher percentage of getting some wild markings.
default_yes.gif
A loud sabino is soooooo pretty!
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The more patterns you throw into the mix, the more chance you have of loud pattern.

Overo as a name is a total nonsense as it means nothing at all, none of the patterns is in any way genetically linked to one another.

I would go with Mona's suggestion and start with a well marked LWO+ Stallion, whose bloodlines and pattern please your eye, and then buy some nice mares with as many visual patterns as possible- you can get Splash/Tobiano/ Sabino all rolled into together and have NO chances of Lethal White foals , so long as all you mare test negative I would go for what you like, and then you can't go wrong!!

JFYI I bred my Silver Bay minimal Tobiano stallion to four mares last year, all visually solid, although one carries very, very minimal Splash.

So far I have three very wild Tobiano foals, all Red base (one Red Dun), and one black mare left to go....there is NO rhyme or reason to pattern, and NO guarantees, so I stick to what I like and then I am never disappointed.
default_wink.png

As Rabbit pointed out, breeding a variety of patterns tends to give you the most color. I've found that in my limited experience, breeding frame to sabino seems to 'pull' the color out.

I do like mixing the patterns and have my loudest colored, wildly patterned foals from crossing tobiano/splash/frame and sabino.

Any suggestions the best cross for a maxium sabino mare? She has given me 3 maxium babies by a black/white toby pinto, a blaze face bay with one partial blue eye and a loud blue eyed splash buckskin All the babies look just like her. I don't have a solid stud.

Latest posts

Back