Overo Testing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy

Reaction score
I have a very minimal pinto -- when you clip him , his color all disappears except his mottling around eyes, mouth etc & the inside of his ears .

He is a stallion so want to know what he will pass to his pffspring.

Wondering if there is any way to find out if he will throw a lot of color??

I think he will - but that is my own thought, but seems like the wild ones often throw minimal & the minimal often throw wild?? Am I correct in thinking this is true & can it be tested for??

I want to test him to see if he carries the lethal white gene since his dam is a wildly marked overo -- going to test him for Lethal White -- wondering what else maybe I should test for??

Thanks for your help.

Can you post photos of him? Will be easier for people to help with what tests if they can see him

Pattern and Colour are two completely different things.

At present the patterns you can test for are Tobiano and LWO...there is a test for Sabino but it will only tell you if your horse has Sab1, which is not, IMO , much use!

Do you know what his base colour is, or do you need to know that to?

If so, knowing the base colour of the sire and dam would help.

And pictures, of course, we always like pictures!!
default_smile.png

Yes, I have pictures-- he was Reserve Canadian Champion All Star in owned trained & shown by in 2009.

His sire's picture is on our website www.murraysminis.com

Sire is our Black & White stallion Filipowicz Entertaining The Foulks

His dam is Pearl Creeks Ribbons & Lace -- wild overo -- out of Miller's Impressive.

This 2 year old stallion is AJ MURRAY"S ENTERTAINS PRETTY WOMEN

I will see if my friend can post his picture for me. Thanks all.

Picture added for Amelia

This is one picture of AJ MURRAY'S ENTERTAINS PRETTY WOMEN

If you look carefully you can see soft grey on his back hip.

picmurray2.jpg

Its all a crap shoot. The best way to aim for some type of color every time is to have a stallion (or mare) that is homozygous for toby. They can also carry LWO but NEVER breed LWO postitive to LWO positive. Splash is alway good to mix in too. Even a minimal pinto can be homozygous (if it has parents that carry toby). The more patterns mixed in the more chances of a foal with visible pinto markings.

Beyond that, there are never any gaurantees how loud or minimal a foal will be,

Last edited by a moderator:
Testing for Sab1 does not indicate whether or not your horse has Sabino.

It only indicates if your horse has Sab1
default_wink.png

Really just wondering if Lethal White is all I need to test him for??

Pictures for Amelia added

This is the Sire, she would like to know what kind of pattern he is?

picmurray4.gif

picmurray3.jpg

I already know he is not homozagous (sp?) for pinto as we have had solid colored babies from him.

Latest posts

Back