Overo Splash Tobiano

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

app crazy

Reaction score
Can someone explain in simple terms what these mean? I've looked at the pictures here on the subject and can't figure out what the difference is between them.

Those are 3 different pinto genes. Overo also called frame Overo, is LWO positive. It can show or not. It can be in combination with any other pinto pattern also. Splash is is a gene that produces white starting at the legs and going upward. It has a very solid line between the color and the white. I think it is also associated with the bald faces. Tobiano has white on the legs and is usually recognized by the chest shield. It also has solid lines between the white and color.

Sabino has jagged lines. Overo tends to have jagged markings when it is shown, but it can be hidden in Overo.

This is just a very short version and not at all a complete description of any of them. Horses can carry one or more or even all of them. Minis tend to have more than just one.

I forgot to add that Overos can sometimes be recognized by an offset blaze or facial markings. The blaze can be very crooked and run down through the lower lip. They sometimes have a jagged white patch just on the belly.

One more thing. In Overo the white does not cross over the back. It shows on the sides and up the neck. That is why they call it frame. If other genes are present like Tobiano you can have white on the back. Still just a short versoin and stiil incomplete descriptions though.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.mustangs4us.com/

This website has a lot of information on horse color genetics with a lot of pictures. You will love it, and learn a lot. My other computer died, I am on my new one a Xmas present and lost all of my bookmarks or I could give you more links. There are types or pattern genes and they don't yet have a test for all of them but Tobiano is one pattern group, Overo is another pattern group. Overo's include frame, splash, and sabino. Some think Sabino is another type of patterning that should be considered separate from the Overo group. There is more than one sabino. Tobiano patterns, there is only one, can be mixed with another like sabino. www.pacificpintos.com has wonderful information on pinto patterns, the best. Search the terms here or Pacific Pintos and you will drag up a lot of information too. We think Splash causes the blue eyes, frame may also. LWO is a frame pattern and you have LWO + or they carry it, and LWO - meaning they don't carry it. You must test for these to ensure you don't breed two frame pintos or you end up with a 50% chance I think it is of producing a Lethal White Overo foal (or LWO homozygous) and the foal is white and they die. Any horse can carry these patterns and express them visibly or not. Many solid *looking* horses can be carrying a pinto pattern gene and pass it on. This is a huge subject with so many variables and mixture's. The basics are that every horse is either red e or black E. Pinto genes paint white on their basic color.

Then you have dilute genes that dilute a base color, ie chestnut to palomino or bay to buckskin. Or a double dilute pattern like creamello dilute with two genes from chestnut or perlino dilute with two genes from bay.

Modifier genes modify or change a base color, dun acts on body color and has primitive markings some horses have all of the markings some only a few.

One horse can have a mixture of many or few or none of these genes that act on the base color making it very interesting. There are a lot more but I am too pooped to keep writing
default_smile.png

"Overo" means nothing at all, I wish people would stop using it. It is a hangover form the days before genetics when all the patterns not Tobiano, were lumped together under this heading because people could not tell them apart, for some reason!

Splash/ Sabino/LWO are somewhat similar but quite easy to tell apart. LWO should be tested for at all times, especially if the horse has Rowdy in the pedigree, before breeding. It is the only fatal in H/Z pattern. In h/Z form it is harmless.

The real problem comes with the fact that Splash and Sabino are very rarely seen separately so they tend to get lumped together.

Tobiano is quite often seen on it's own- it does not have face white or blue eyes- but, in Minis, all bets are off as all the patterns are mixed indiscriminately.

If we could also ditch "Tovero" , which as far as I can see is only used either in ignorance or to bump the price, as in "rare Tovero" my world would be complete!!

I agree with part of your post Jane, but it is a little too complicated for someone wanting a little info to clear up confusion on the basics. Just as, for someone just figuring it out (me still) Lethal White Overo is another term indicating the frame pinto/pattern gene. The tested horse is either + carrying it or - not carrying it. Anyone breeding pintos should test since it can hide/ not show so easily.

Sorry, can't see what is complicated (genuine question, not sarcasm!)

Latest posts

Back