(Overo) color experts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slv

Reaction score
I recently had my stallion tested for LWO. I was most impressed with Equine Genetics in Florida as I sent the hair off on Monday and got my results via e-mail on Friday. It can't get much better than that. Anyway, the result for LWO is (nn) meaning that he is negative for LWO.

I am wondering then, can I safely breed him to mares with bald faces, blue eyes and belly spots? The reason I tested him in the first place is that he displays some overo characteristics such as very odd (bold) facial white and blue eyes, as well as all of his foals this year had blue eyes, high white sox, bald (or nearly bald) faces as well as belly spots. These foals were produced even when breeding to solid color mares that didn't appear to carry any overo.

I have tried to study up on the overo, but am not too wise as to what is what. Could my horse possibly carry splash? Could that be the gene that is producing all of the color. I am going to try and upload a head shot of him. I have a full body shot but for some reason I cannot get it to upload to this site. I really appreciate any input on this. I have some mares that are definately overo that I would like to cross with him.

firehead.jpg

Wish we could see his whole body. With the nose white at the end I would suspect hes carrying splash. And hes Tobiano. Since hes negative for LW he can breed LW positive mares.

Trying to post the full body shot and hoping it comes up:

fire%206%20(3).jpg

If he is negative for LWO, then you can safely breed him to any color mini mare, including mares that are LWO positive. My guess is that he carries splash along with tobiano, but that really doesn't matter in terms of the risk of a lethal foal. Very nice stallion, and a lovely position to be in!

He is a really pretty boy...lucky you!!

Ignore the term "overo" completely and concentrate of the facts of the matter...he is tested negative, therefore he is not Frame, therefore the blue eyes come from Splash.

Now, since he is just over minimal markings anyway, and has four white legs, I would have opted for Splash anyway, as Frame disappears form the legs first, this "minimally" marked and animal, if there was Frame, I would expect to have dark legs.

I think you may also have Tobiano in there as something is trying to limit the the white, and pushing it out to the extremities, and Tobiano is usually the culprit for that.

So, as said, you are safe to breed him to any pattern mare at all, well done having him tested, I wish all breeders were as responsible, and show us his pretty babies when they start arriving!!

How is he bred????

Thanks to you all for all of the nice comments. Rabbit, thank you for explaining it so well. Very nice to know that I can breed him to ANY mare and not worry about a LWO foal. Rabbit, his sire is NFC'S Fire & Ice and his dam is D Bar DS April Love. His dam is where he got his overo characteristics from. His sire, of course is a tobiano. His first foal crop for us was this year, and they far exceeded our expectations. We are truly blessed to have him.

Thanks again for all of the replys. This forum is a great place to learn.

If he is negative for LWO, then you can safely breed him to any color mini mare, including mares that are LWO positive. My guess is that he carries splash along with tobiano, but that really doesn't matter in terms of the risk of a lethal foal. Very nice stallion, and a lovely position to be in!

default_yes.gif
I'd say he carries Splash!

Latest posts

Back