Overdue 6 month puppy update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anoki

Reaction score
Can you believe these brats are 6 months already?????

Jane and Delilah made their show debut last weekend! Jane was such a good girl....Delilah, well, proved we need a bit more work!! lol
default_rolleyes.gif
I only entered them one day each....Delilah spent most of her time in the ring fighting the leash and then trying to grab it. Jane, who some may remember, was the one with the MAJOR leash/collar issues, but she was an absolute star in the ring!! Even jumped up and kissed the judge on the nose when he bent over to get expression from her!! :DOH!
default_biggrin.png
Thankfully he laughed about it!!!

All 3 are entered in a 3 day show the end of the month here in Ontario....should be interesting!!!

Here they are showing that they did inherit some of their Daddy's traits.....his name isn't Shredder for no reason!!!!

Lainey

IMG_5652.jpg

Jane

IMG_5654.jpg

IMG_5653.jpg

And the always innocent (whatever
default_wink.png
) Delilah

IMG_5650.jpg

On a sadder note, Moxie's 1/2 sister (she was a month younger than Moxie) died earlier in the week trying to whelp a litter of puppies. The breeder had her xrayed to show 9 puppies......there were 17 puppies total!!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
They were able to save 15 of the pups, but the mother passed away during the c-section. Moxie and I will sure miss her....she was on most of our US show trips, and was at all but one of our Canadian shows.

If you have any extra prayers, those 15 puppies could sure use them.

All 15 made it through the first 48 hours......but they still have a longggg way to go. Thankfully he had a female with a couple of 4 week old pups, and she is playing foster mom to the 15 (who are all being hand fed obviously)....but at least they have a mom to clean them and help out a little bit.

~kathryn

Congratulations on a great show, and it sounds like you had fun. I will be adding

those precious puppies to my prayers. How sad to loose the mommy.

Prayers

Vicky

I always love seeing pictures of these little ones! What cute, CUTE faces!!! In that one pic where Jane is looking back at what she shredded, it's almost a posture of "I'm sorry, Mom"....!!!
default_biggrin.png

I'm so sorry about Moxie's sister....that has to be heartbreaking! Here's hoping and praying that those pups get a good start to their lives.

My Mom and I went up to see the orphaned pups yesterday. They are doing really well, all things considered. One passed away a couple of days ago, and there are a few that are starting to look thin and weak.....

The foster Mom is nursing them (though they are being supplemented as well), and is taking care of them like they were hers all along! They are sooo tiny though....sure hope they pull through ok

~kathryn

What a very sad event
default_no.gif
She had to have been incredibly drained growing that many pups to term. My best wishes and prayers go to the pups and their humans. I sometimes think that the "regular" person don't really know the emotional aspects of breeding...

OMG Kathryn! That's crazy! 17 puppies?!
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
What a very sad event
default_no.gif
She had to have been incredibly drained growing that many pups to term. My best wishes and prayers go to the pups and their humans. I sometimes think that the "regular" person don't really know the emotional aspects of breeding...
Yes, gimp...a little too close to home with me and how things turned out with Moxie....only I got lucky and Moxie pulled through. But it really made me realize HOW lucky I was with Mox and ALL of my puppies! I was very upset when I heard about her 1/2 sister...made me realize how much I had kinda down played all that went on with Moxie's delivery.....

OMG Kathryn! That's crazy! 17 puppies?!
default_no.gif
I know....all I can think of is poor Mable....
default_sad.png
default_no.gif
I just don't understand how you can miss almost HALF the litter on an xray....

BUT I just got an email saying that ALL 14 are still holding their own!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png
I also found out that they were a week premature....which really isn't surprising with that many in the litter.

While we were visiting with the pups, there was a phone call to say that the other girl that was due was on her way back from the vet clinic.....she had 8 puppies (well 9 total, one didn't make it) via c-section.
default_wacko.png
Man does he ever have a lot of puppies now!!!!!!

Keep those prayers and good thoughts coming!!
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

~kathryn

Are cesarians fairly common in Cardigans, Kathryn? (They certainly have large litters.)

The odd thing is, I have been told cesarians aren't common in Cardis. Moxie's breeder (who has been breeding for 30 years and had I don't know how many litters) has had maybe 2 cesarians until now....and has had a litter of 11 whelp naturally with no problems. He hasn't successfully bred a litter in 2 years though...had some really weird things happening where the females looked like they were carrying, acted like they were carrying, but nothing.... And now, he's had 3 litters in 2 months, lost a female, had 2 cesarians, and has a total of 24 puppies under the age of 6 weeks
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
sure glad it's not me
default_wacko.png

I have never heard of a cardi having 17 before.....normally their litter sizes are around 6 pups.

~kathryn

I saw similar things when I had scotties. A breeder friend had no trouble for 20 some years, then the odds caught up with her and she had some real ugly things happen. Another friend who has Dandie Dinmonts was telling me that it was perhaps time to do some outbreeding as the gene pool is getting too slim. The whole thing is tragic. I adore having good quality pure breds, but must admit I do worry about the host of ailments
default_no.gif
. For now I sit quiet with my rescue pemmie, but the show bug is nibbling at me
default_wacko.png

-Nancy

For now I sit quiet with my rescue pemmie, but the show bug is nibbling at me
default_wacko.png
default_biggrin.png

I can't believe how nervous I was taking the pups in the ring!!!! Then when I took Moxie in, no problems, relaxed, no big deal....but oh those puppies...I forgot what it's like to show puppies!!!!
default_wacko.png
default_rolleyes.gif

Delilah was by far the worst in the ring....I've been working with her, but the last few days, she has had a tummy ache, so I haven't been able to do any work with her
default_sad.png
Hopefully she's feeling better in the next couple of days so I can get back at it....only a week until our next show
default_new_shocked.gif

~kathryn

Latest posts

Back