Over in the knee

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace67

Reaction score
I have a B gelding who was shown in hand and driviNG extensively before I purchased him a little over a year ago. He is slightly over in one knee but has never shown any signs of soreness or lameness. My vet has palpated it but can't find any sensitivity with it. Any issues with this type of conformation fault if I wanted to pursue something like CDE type work with him?

I would advise you to discuss this with the vet who knows him and has a more complete picture of the situation. It is possible he will be fine to do the more demanding work of CDE driving but it is also possible that the opposite is true and he would be crippled by the hard turns and speed required. Any one here would be only guessing based on incomplete information, if you are going to get a guess at least make it an educated guess by an informed person. Good luck.

Thanks Reignmaker yes I always work closely with my vet and have a solid relationship with him with regards to my horses well being. Just was curious if others had similar issues and how their horses may have fared with it. Should have been more detailed in my opening post, thanks for your thoughts.

Good to hear Grace67, I was in no way meaning that as an attack, I just don't think anyone should be guessing about something that could be so important. On the other hand if you and your vet feel the horse is functional then you could take it a step at a time and see how he stands up. As you fit the horse for CDE he should show if with his conformation he is capable of the work.

'Over at the knee' is not considered as serious relative to soundness-in-use as 'calf-kneed', AKA 'back at the knee'. There are MANY variables....how much deviation from the vertical, whether or not other 'straightness' issues exist within the limb, whether the limb has good solid bone and ligament/tendon structures and attachments....you see what I mean....to say definitively whether or not an animal can/will stay sound in use.As with any athletic endeavor, sound nutrition, allowing the animal to become sufficiently mature in mind AND body before asking for hard physical work, and a proper physical conditioning program to 'fit' the animal for the intended use, will all play a part.

Latest posts

Back