over 100 starving minatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes my heart break to see those miniatures in such need of feed. Does anybody know the farm or the perosn responsible ????? I'm glad that the authorities are on top of things. I just don't get it ... If you can't take care your animals ... find homes for them !!!! Why let the poor animals waste away to nothing !!!!
default_sad.png

Debby

The linked story states that neighbors had been filing complaints with animal control since 2001---that's seven years! It also says that the woman who was SUPPOSED to be responsible for them was 'shocked' by the action of the authorities! Doesn't speak very well for either the animal control laws OR the people involved, IMO...the woman is clearly a hoarder--these people apparently find it impossible to SEE the condition of the animals under their "care", and the animals suffer MORE with them, not LESS....sick and sad.

Margo

Hi

I read the article too. This is sad............I hope they will all be fine.

Yes, I was thinking 7 years, heck - O!

Beth

* Funny, we have spell check........lololololo......I just noticed this!

Last edited by a moderator:
default_no.gif

I agree that this woman was a horder. I think her intentions were well placed but she wasn't in touch with reality. I have seen these cases so often where animal control has ignored the outcry from the public.

I talked a woman and man into letting me have their starving horses so I could get them to a rescue. The horse all have a happy ending but that is because the gov wasn't involved. In fact the man that owned the horses worked for the Sheriff's dept.

I believe we are going to see a rise in neglect with the price of feed going up every week.

But we the people HAVE to be the eyes and ears for these horses.

If you think that animal control will step in your wrong.

At least public awareness will help....I hope.

Anyone know if they still need foster help? I have another 8 acre field open that I can use. I am 2 hrs north of them.
default_no.gif
I can haul about 8-10 in my trailer.

You may want to contact the Marion Counrty Animal Shelter and give them your information.

I know that the people of Ocala are outraged about the whole ordeal but 100 horses is alot of horses to place, even if they are minatures. I belive there are some donkeys too.

For people who are close enough to help here is the number listed in one of the many articles. This is so sad!

People wishing to volunteer to care for any of the horses can call Animal Program Coordinator Christy L. Jergens at 352-671-8707. If that voice mail box is full, people can call the Animal Center main line at 671-8700.

The horse situaiton here in Marion Co. is pretty horrible. We have a friend in the sheriff's dept. here that says there are volunteers going there to take care of the horses. It just makes me want to cry.

Okay, I need to hijack the thread for a moment on the same topic.

I have a friend that has 39 acres and about 40 minis. Her husband's truck was broken down and the husband has just said, no more hay as there was no truck. I buy hay by the ton and so I was able to take her hay to help out. I've been doing this for about three mos now. The truck is fixed, but her husband seems to think she doesn't need to use hay. Here in Marion CO. we have a drought situation as it hasn't rained much at all, it was over 30 days of no rain, then one or two days, but not much rain in all. I have a small patch of grass I am trying to keep alive, but it seems such a loosing battle.

Anyway, the woman would pay me for the hay per bale, and on occassion she would give me $1.00 or $2.00s for gas. Need I say how far that will get anyone these days, let alone in a diesel pick up truck? I have often used my car to take two bales just to tide her over, (which has turned the car into a hugh disaster area with no signs of getting better).

Anyway, now she says she has no money to pay me for hay. She wants to give me her Walmart gift card that she uses for gas for me to use it for exactly how much the hay cost in order to reinburse me.

I believe the situation is going to get much worse. Now granted she has lovely horses, one is for sale for $10K a buckskin with a great pedigree, I'm in love with her palamino mare (she wants $5K) and so on and so forth.

However, I can see a day comming that she's not gonna have money for feed, let alone hay. I personallly don't even want to get involved with this gift card idea of hers. When I take the hay over, I usually end up helping her with fence repairs, herding the horses, etc...

My husband is going to get fed up with this situation very fast, but he is on his boat headed east... you can guess which east...

Any suggestions?? If I say I can't bring the hay, she tells me, if it wasn't for me, her horses would starve. I'm beginning to feel very manipulated, and if I didn't care about the horses I wouldn't even do this. She has told me things about her income where I know in a few mos. there will be not enough income to care for her family let alone the horses.

Help!

God Bless You All,

Lynn W

There is a group called Marion Co. horse owners.. I'm gonna go to one of their meetings comming up. I headed back to school full time and with everything going on, barely have time for anything.

Black Magic, sorry your in this situation. I would nicely say how much extra you do and have spent in time and gas and aske for that nice lil mare.
default_yes.gif
You truly deserve her for all you have done. Maybe work out a deal that way???? If not I would severe ties and try to ignore the HUGE mess these people have gotten themselves into. MANY MANY horse people are not feeding their horses here and I have been offered 34 this month. ITs out of control! Fuel prices,feed and gas... But we plan and our animals would never be without. We are watching countless animals starve and with no ACO in our county its deplorable.
default_no.gif

I went to take her hay this morning. I told her, no, don't give me any gift cards. She gave me cash for one bale. I promptly told her, I'm going to round bales and sorry, I'm not gonna have money to buy bales to bring to you. She decided she'd have to break down and buy her own herself. I will still use smaller bales, but are going to try and buy less then a ton. (A ton is more difficult to store and dries up in the hot Fl. sun.. a ton works great in the winter though). Anyway... Progress...

I just cringe when I go to the farm, because the hooves haven't been done in ages. No curling yet, but you know that's coming.

I tried to say, I'll give you all the hay you want and we'll just take it off the price of that filly, and she said NO.. my husband wouldn't accept anything but cash! With so many horses going without, you'd think that she'd accept less then five grand for this horse.

We have one of her mares, who is 18 and has had 16 foals. From what I can tell she was bred on her second birthdate. She is a happy horse here now and used to ignore me when she saw a carrot, but now I go out and she greets me like the kids seeing an ice cream truck. Lol..

I just worry about all the horses... her as well as the 100 in Ft. McCoy. Anyone get any info from Animal Control ... please pass it on. I'll call on Mon.

God Bless,

Lynn W

I called the numbers listed and Christy's mailbox is full, so I tried the other number and the lady took my name and phone number and said that someone will call me Tuesday. I live in the Tampa area and could possibly help in some way if need be. If I hear anything I'll pass it along.

Jenn from Hairicane was here today and told Gary and I about the situation in Ocala. I had not heard about it since this is a very busy time of year for a high school guidance counselor. Anyway I emailed animal control in Ocala and left our info.

Ruth Owen

Stardust Acres

It is so sad to see horses done this way. Give them away if you have to, but do not make them suffer. We have all had hard times, but even in the worst, I have found homes for some, and sold cheap, to lessen the load. Luckily, we are nit in a drought, and hay is plentiful here...but the price of feed, Sheesh...

I don't mean to be a downer here ...but...

last month at our local donkey club meeting we had the owner of a horse rescue operation come in as guest speaker. She was saying that she has never EVER seen horses being brought in in such huge numbers. People are letting them free on BLM and State forest lands and just opening gates and letting them go because they can't feed them. Now you'd say...gosh give them away...but people can't. Very few people are buying (and I'm talking full sized horses here...no minis) horses at the moment or even taking on free ones because they still have to be fed. As we all know...the purchase price no matter how much is nothing compared with daily care. You can't even sell them for $50 at a sale - NO ONE is buying. This talk was 2 month ago when gas was over a dollar less than now.

When we hit $6.00 a gallon, when hay this year comes in with deisel at over $5 I hate to think what's going to happen.

I'm glad I have mini's and enough grass but there are so many people literally forced to choose between feeding their animals and paying increased prices for gas and food and sad to say the animals go without.

I don't think, from what the rescue group was saying, that we've even seen the real start of what is going to happen.

If someone were willing to drive them up here... (pretty much no one now a days with gas prices...) Then I would take on a few. I would love to. But, I'm so far away!
default_no.gif

Now granted she has lovely horses, one is for sale for $10K a buckskin with a great pedigree, I'm in love with her palamino mare (she wants $5K) and so on and so forth.
So she can ask outrageous prices in this market, and YOU are giving her hay????

You're a better person than I am. If she's sold even a couple at that price, she can afford her own hay.
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back