Outside feeders with a roof?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I'd like something like that with a roof which will hold hay and also grain for my girls in the run in. I often feed them on the fence line instead of in their stalls as long as its not raining but I'm looking for more options.

I would like it to be portable but heavy enough where they can't tip it over if they start rubbing themselves on it or anything like that and nothing they can get themseves stuck in. They don't fight over feed or anything so something like this could work if I can find the right product.

The local farm supply has nothing. Any ideas?

Marty-

I'd try looking online for calf, goat, or even pig feeders; you might find something suitable.

You could even add a roof if you could find the right product; however, I'd be prepared for it to be fairly heavy if it is big enough for multiples to eat from.

Years ago, when I was going down to Anthony, NM/TX and buying my first miniatures, the fellow I got them from had a bunch of long, composite feeders, on a sort of 'skid' type, wide-set 'legs'. They were just the right height for minis, and seemed both sturdy, reasonably light in weight, and 'tip-resistant'....I'm pretty sure they were calf feeders?

Good luck in your search! I have a WONDERFUL, homemade feeder, about 6-6 1/2 feet long, welded of rebar and two old metal water heater tanks cut in half, that was built for goats-and very well built! I saw the ad one day, drove down to the valley, bought it for $50! Best money I ever spent! I had my son who could weld, raise it up a bit in height, and it has served me well for about 18-20 years now!

Margo

try doing a google on '"feeder panels". I know Balhen makes them, I have some through a regional company. They come in two foot increments, starting at 4 feet, the bottom 18 -20inches is solid, then slat bars above that (you can get 54 in, 60 in, and 65 in hights, I think). Anyhow, they have drop down 1/2 inch pins that hold them together on the corners.

I made a rectangle that was 4 foot by 8 foot, then I took some 4 foot 4x4s with a sheet of 1/2 plywood and made an elevated floor. Built a pavilion style roof over it, and voila, a weather proof hay feeder, made to withstand the elements ant the horses bulling eachother away from the hay. The slant bars keep them from stretching too far into the other horses space.

Carolyn

Oops, realize you wanted for in the run in, in that case, you use one panel of the desired length and attach it about a foot or two out from a wall, basically making a feeding station.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 10' feed bunks. Of course, they don't have a roof over them. I'm not sure I've seen a covered feeder that would be safe for horses?

I think this website has some neat ideasl

http://swedishhoofschool.com/Hay_feeder/if..._LillaHuset.htm

Emma

My hubby starts this one for me tomorrow
default_aktion033.gif

http://swedishhoofschool.com/Hay_feeder/iframe_Norrhult.htm

Marty,

I just saw this last night and it looks really neat. It's called the Duplessis Horse Feeder for round & square bales. www.duplessishorsefeeder.com or email [email protected]

It's made out of polypromium which looks to be some sort of heavy duty plastic.

Good luck!
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back