Outragous prices!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyL

Reaction score
Ok, I am sick of this.

I need to get my female cat spayed. NEED TO. I have two toms and her, and she needs to be fixed. I am not going to have kittens running around. I cannot afford to get them all fixed yet, so I am starting with her.

I call the vet, made the appt. and left it at that, forgetting to ask prices. I thought, "oh yeah, won't be over 100 dollars." I was horribly wrong. I called back, asking for prices because I have forgotten too the first time.

She put the numbers in the computer. It is the spay with rabies and distemper shots included, because my vet won't do a spay without the shots. That is understandable.

default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
[SIZE=18pt]$220.00[/SIZE]
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

I had no idea it would be that much!! I cannot afford that.

So now, I have no idea what to do...I need to figure out a way to raise the money.

This is one of those times when I wish I could find a stupid job... :arg!
default_frusty.gif

Call a local humane society and see if they have spay/neuter clinics or give credit for spaying or neutering. Or ask if they have a vet that does low cost spay/neuters. If they are inside cats only, have the males neutered first, should be lower cost for that.

But I do agree, but this is probably the bread and butter for most vets. So they do have high prices.

Be proactive; contact EVERY nearby Humane Society or animal welfare organization you can come up with! Nowadays, there are LOTS of groups who manage to help with the costs of spaying/neutering, because they KNOW that in the long run, that is the 'least costly' way to help animals and reduce having to destroy unwanted ones!

Keep at it--I feel sure you can find some help to get this done at a cost you can tolerate! You took the first step to do the right thing; now just keep on!

Margo

Well, it is surgery...
default_wink.png
Call your local humane society. Ours has a spay and neuter program for dogs and cats that costs $5.-15. You should also search for clinics and price check other vets in your area.

Call your local humane society. Ours has a spay and neuter program for dogs and cats that costs $5.-15.
WOW!!!! That is so cheap. we have a spay/neuter clinic here and it is nearly as much there as the vets. Only difference is they DON"T insist on shots so a few $ can be saved that way or at least the expense is spread out.

When we had Tinker (our boxer pup) neutered my regular vet wanted 185.00 without shots and in a small town that was closer that vet did it for 81.00 and with all shots and rabies shots and check for worms it was 150.00 most definetly check around.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I have cooled down since I wrote the last post. And am in the process of figuring this out.

All three cats are outdoors. I thought about having the toms neutered first, as it is so much cheaper, but then I thought that even with them neutered, other toms would come around, and she would end up pregnant anyway. People dump their cats around here, that is how we accquired my orange tom, Gallaghar. He never left either. Apparently has a good thing going here.
default_wink.png

I have two shelters near me. I shall give them a call and ask.

And I do realize that that is how vets make a living...I should know..I am going to be one!

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to work at a vet clinic - they require the cats have vaccinations, etc... so that the animals are healthy before undergoing surgery. Also, $220 is pretty darn reasonable for an invasive surgery. Animals cost money to maintain. That's just the reality of it. You could try your local vet school to see if you could "donate" your cat to their surgery classes - some of the veterinary students may be able to utilize your cat as a practice case under the supervision of their instructor for a cheaper rate.

I hope you can find a better price for what you want done. It's a shame that the vet's themselves are contributing, even if in a round-about way, to the over population problem.

I also hope that when you become a vet you remember this experience.

One other suggestion - try for a bulk price - all three done at once. Vets sometimes will lower prices because there are multiples involved.

On the outset - make pretty kitty an indoor kitty for a little bit and get the boys fixed.

It's a shame that the vet's themselves are contributing, even if in a round-about way, to the over population problem.
WOW....that's quite the statement. I don't know of anyone in this room that isn't trying to make money to support themselves or their families (animals or otherwise). I certainly wouldn't expect my veterinarian to donate her time or supplies simply because I couldn't find the means to pay for the animals I have. If that's the case, we should also maybe have the farmers' and grocers' give away food so that no one goes hungry. Ask gas stations to give away fuel so that everyone who drives can go further without affecting their pocket books. I'm sorry. The vet did not make anyone have an animal - they are there to provide care for responsible owners'. There are homes there for animals of all sizes that are able to provide adequate care (food, veterinary services, etc...) for animals that are given into foster care and up for adoption.

Animals cost money to maintain. That's just the reality of it.
I know...And usually everything is fine money wise with the animals. Good food, vet care..etc..I take better care of them then I do myself! But truth be told, my family is having money problems right now. But won't go into it. I just want everyone to know that I do love and take care of my animals...
default_smile.png
And I will figure out a way to do this.

I also hope that when you become a vet you remember this experience.
Oh, I will.
default_smile.png
I always joke with my mother that I am going to accept food for me, things like that, like the old family doctors used to do!
default_laugh.png

Here is the lucky little girl who needs it done:

Pictures339.jpg

QUOTE (AppyLover2 @ Aug 21 2008, 04:24 PM) It's a shame that the vet's themselves are contributing, even if in a round-about way, to the over population problem.

WOW....that's quite the statement. I don't know of anyone in this room that isn't trying to make money to support themselves or their families (animals or otherwise). I certainly wouldn't expect my veterinarian to donate her time or supplies simply because I couldn't find the means to pay for the animals I have. If that's the case, we should also maybe have the farmers' and grocers' give away food so that no one goes hungry. Ask gas stations to give away fuel so that everyone who drives can go further without affecting their pocket books. I'm sorry. The vet did not make anyone have an animal - they are there to provide care for responsible owners'. There are homes there for animals of all sizes that are able to provide adequate care (food, veterinary services, etc...) for animals that are given into foster care and up for adoption.
Please, please, don't turn this. I was just in a bind and needed suggestions. I am not faulting the vet, or anyone else. If anything, I fault me for not being able to get a job and pay for all this.

Sammy - I do admire you for seeing that this needs to be done and that you're working to pay for the services you are needing. I admire you for not EXPECTING someone else to do it.......

Sammy - I do admire you for seeing that this needs to be done and that you're working to pay for the services you are needing. I admire you for not EXPECTING someone else to do it.......
Thank you.

It means a lot.

I am doing the best I can, and one way or another, this will get done.

I am going to argue with Adam a bit.

Its one thing to have to pay high prices for an animal I CHOOSE to have. That I dont have a problem with, cant afford it then get rid of it.

However to pay high prices for an animal I didnt chose to have, or dont even want, but want to cut down on the numbers isnt fair. They constantly talk and preach spay and neuter well its not so affordable. In the last 4 months we have had 5 strays make this place home. Between all of them, and hte kittens that came with them that is 10 cats that are still here that need to be fixed. I have found homes for 8 of them, and would have had 6 more had the dogs not killed them.

Do I want these cats???? NO, I personally hate cats. HOwever I dont want a huge population of them, so need to get them fixed, if I cant get them into homes that will fix them.

I agree with you Ashley, but again it goes back to responsible pet owners - you are paying the price for someone else NOT doing their part. It is NOT the vets' responsibility to be donating surgery time, supplies, etc... in order to stop this. It is the job of EVERYONE who has an animal to get them spayed/neutered if they are not breeding animals.

Sammy - you might want to call your vet and ask if there is a discount for barn cats. I know our vet up in Forest Lake does discounts for barn cats and multiple cats. It's worth a shot!

I'm one who also believes in responsible rescue. If you can't afford to take in a rescue and take care of it as needed, DON'T. There are other options.

I will say that there are NOT other options for cats/dogs dropped off here. We have one humane society and they make you pay to bring something to them. They do not care if it was dropped off on your door step or not they charge a fee and give you an awful hard time. They want you to advertise it a least 2 weeks in the paper and show proof before they will take the animal and your money. There are no rescues anywhere near here.

Latest posts

Back