Outragous prices!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=36pt]MEOW!!![/SIZE] Ladies (and Adam), lets retract the claws!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
default_wink.png

$220 for a cat spay is a little high. Especially when you know how much it actually costs and how much time it actually takes. There are cheaper alternatives, keep looking!

MEOW!!! Ladies (and Adam), lets retract the claws!
Haha. That made me smile.

I still haven't heard back from either of the shelters.

I figure that I have about 2-3 more months before she starts her heat cycles. That is, if she doesn't start early!
default_wacko.png

So if nothing else, I will have the money, somehow, before she hits nine months. I talked to the vet about it, and nine months is when the average cat starts cycling.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I appreciate them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our (equine) vet is big on barn cat and dog neutering/spaying. He does any cats for 20(neuter) and a little more for spay.

Good Luck, Sammy, you get it done.

If you get her shots up to date now that will get some of the cost out of the way. I think what you are feeling is the cost of shots, tests, and spaying all at once.

If you have a larger city near you, try to find out if they have any programs for spaying. We don't have any in the local area but an hour away is the big city and they do have programs there. Here, you do need to qualify for low income also to get your animal done.

WOW! I live in Southern California, and I'd say that we are a pretty expensive state in almost every way dealing with housing, gas, goods and services. But I am actually glad that our vets are reasonable, when nothing else seems to be. We pay $35 to neuter and $60 to spay cats. $220, is just crazy to me. I'm sitting here thinking about all the services they could do to my cat for that amount of money. Maybe it's because there's two vets in town, and like 30 in the next town over, so they all have to keep prices down for competition. I don't know. But for that amount...you all can send your cats here to me, I can take them in and have the deed done, and ship them back to you...and you'd still save money!

We have lots of strays around here too, and unfortunately, even $35/60 adds up quickly when you're talking big numbers. But I could get 3 1/2 females fixed for what you pay for one to be done. I feel bad for you guys!
default_sad.png

I'd say $220 is very high. Here there are a couple clinics that are very high priced, but the other two are more reasonable--I use the "more reasonable" ones and the neuters are up to $80 now, and I think $125 for a spay. Vaccines, if you want them, are $10 per vaccine on top of that. If you just take the animal in for its vaccines, there is a $40 office call +$10 per vaccine. But, when you vaccinate at time of spaying then that $40 office fee is waived. If I take in 3 at once then I get 10% off the spay/neuter price.

Neuters and spays both come home the same day, provided the animal comes out of the anesthetic okay. Drop off between 8 and 9 am & pick up after 4.

I always think our prices here are plenty high, but compared to $220 for a spay, our $125 sounds quite reasonable! I do wish there were some neuter/spay programs here, for th eprices some are naming on this thread!

I am the manager of a non profit Vet Clinic/Shelter. We do a lot of low cost spay neuter. We do not get money from the public in anyway other than the few dollars we make off our clinic & boarding & donations, which are way down thanks to the economy. We have been lucky to offer grants, which cover the spay/neuter with a small co-pay, but it does not cover vaccs. Grants take months to write & wait on & you compete with all the other rescues around the US for them, so they too are far between, Rabies is required by law here if the pet is over 12 weeks, but the other vaccs although highly recommended are not. We are a lot cheaper than the other vets in our area & we are not very popular with them. The other Humane Society here also has a certificate program with local vets but they have a huge amount of donations coming in & they also have a huge thrift shop to help with funding. Between us both you would think we do an excellent job of helping with the overpopulation, but as I go to the Pound each week & get pets right before they are euthanized to add to our shelter, even with all we do the numbers of strays or surrenders & feral cat colonies here are still huge.

If you want an pet , it usually always cheaper to adopt one from your local shelter than a free one from your friend/neighbor/feed store. We provide over $200 services on our cats alone in spay/neuter, all vaccs for a year, dewormed, feleuk-FIV testing, free starter flea prevention & food for cats & kittens that are adopted for $35-$50. And we have a strict adoption application, we dont just give a pet to anyone with the money. We try our best to make sure it is going to a good stable home that will keep it as a furr-ever friend.

I also applaud anyone that tries to rescue an animal. It is sticker shock to find out what it costs to "fix" them. Here the barn cats & hoarders are the biggest problem. The barn cats people dont think about fixing & soon they end up with a huge amount of semi feral kittens. The hoarders, well there are a lot of people that have 20-80 cats running around their place because they didnt fix the first few they got. Soon the cat colony starts branching out to the neighbors or just get dumped & they end up everywhere. If your current pet has offspring, consider what happens to the puppies & kittens you find homes for, if you dont know for sure that they will be fixed when you give them away, they do just add to the population overgrowth.

Most shelters are overcrowded & forced to euthanize. My trips to our local pound to bring pets from our shelter leaves me in tears & mad a humans. I have made the trip hundreds of times, each time I dont think of the 7-10 I save, I think of the 20-50 I leave being left behind to die. And I go home tossing & turning thinking of ways to try to fix it.

Wish I had a solution. We are a throwaway society, simple as that. Some people try to help, but it is hard to keep up with the people that just dont care. If you can help out your local spay/neuter clinic or shelter please do. Some take volunteers, all take donations. It is the only way we all will make a difference.

This is something that your sooo not alone on! Try your local pet store too! We have one in town that is owned by a vet tec and she can give vaccines for super cheep. That should drop your cost down some and anything is better then the price you were quoted! It's all legal and she gives you a record to take to your vet.

When we bought our home the previous ladys daughter was a horder. We started with over 90 cats in our barn!
default_new_shocked.gif
It was sick! I LOVE animals but these poor animals were inbred and ill and not to mention all the other things that were attracted to the barn because of the food she was feeding them! Well now we have 9 barn cats and all except one is from that original group. All of them are fixed. But man was it a chore to get where we are today. Oh did I mention the daughter lives accross the street from me! She now has 25 of her own cats out side and 22 in her house!!!!!!! All are fixed!!!

Good luck and exhaust every avenue to get this girl fixed!

Leya

Latest posts

Back