Outragous prices!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd rather see an animal euthanized than left intact and creating more unwanted animals because the "rescuer" can't afford to vet it properly. I've known way too many people who take in an intact pet with the best of intentions, plan for but never follow through on getting the thing altered and inevitably... oops! A few months later they have a whole LITTER of unwanted, intact critters instead of just one.
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you, Sammy!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!! And good for you other folks that try to do right by the animals that find you!

I don't understand why there are not more programs out there for people to affordably spay/nueter. Local shelters cost us taxpayers a LOT of money, and myself, I'd MUCH rather it go for spay/nueter programs than to house some poor dog/cat in a shelter and hope they will be adopted. Prevention is so much better than a need for a cure!!

A town about an hour from me has been very blessed to have a local veterinarian who does incredibly cheap spay/neuter to help keep the cat population down. The shelter I volunteer with utilizes her and it allows us to save our donated funds so that we can help even more stray/unwanted animals.

Now Sammy you remember this when you become a vet!
default_wink.png

You have every right in the world to make a great living for yourself but don't forget us that maybe don't make that much money but still want to help as many animals as we can!!

I'm one who also believes in responsible rescue. If you can't afford to take in a rescue and take care of it as needed, DON'T. There are other options.
I dont consider strays "rescue". I did not take them in, they came here and dont seem to leave.

ONly one of the strays is even friendly, I am still working on trying to pic him up with out him clawing me to crap.

The neighbors had two strays show up(I think they were drop offs as they are very very friendly). They tried taking them to the humane society, they wont take them. They are also both very good with guns and have taken out a few of the cats.

So again, because something strays into my place doesnt mean I rescued it.

I did take in a unwanted Great Pyrenees, she is fine, I have the means to take care of her until I can find her a new home. Any animal I take in or owne, is perfectly fine and healthy, thank you.

Sorry If I dont have an extra 2,000 dollers laying around to trap and fix all the cats on this property.

Oh come on Ashley - what's an extra 30-40 cats loaded up in your car on the way to the vet. I always did think you were maybe one of those crazy cat ladies....
default_smile.png

I HATE cats with a passion. Trust me, I wouldnt be one of them "crazy cat ladies" maybe a crazy horse lady, after all I did add one to the herd today.

Doing ultrasounding tommorow, and I have way to many horses here, brought some in to get checked that are not mine.

By the way watch it Adam as you might have a few of them cats loaded in your car!

I don't think cats on my leather would work that well......... thanks for the offer though
default_smile.png

Sure could find out. Just remember when you go somewhere, dont leave your windows open...........you never know where I might pop up!

I have contacted the two humane societies to see if they have programs and we shall see what happens.

If they don't, well, I am just going to have to go into town and sell lemonade on the side of the street!
default_laugh.png

You may need to add cookies to the stand if you are going to make money faster than kittens........I've seen how those cats reproduce. Maybe your local veterinarian would work out a payment plan with you or allow you to clean kennels or something to cover some of the expenses.

Not every area has anything at all close to a low cost clinic or humane society that will spay or neuter for a low cost. I think $220.00 is just plain stupid and not a reasonable cost in any way shape or form period! However that is about the price it is here as well. Heck a toy dog less then 5 lbs being neutered is $150 bucks minimum again just plain stupid I can get a horse done for less then that.

I understand your dilemma and am sure you will do the best you can as you can. It is easy to be pompous and say just get them euthanised if you do not have hundreds to throw into them. However the reality is that is not always the case nor something people can afford to do for animals they did not choose to go out and purchase. By the way for the record euthanasia for a 8 week old kitten here is about $125.00 and that does not include the disposal fee.
default_rolleyes.gif

I have helped rehome MANY homeless animals, and am never above helping another if I can. The rescues rarely have openings. I will pay to drop strays off at the overfilled shelter if I have to just to get them off of the streets. I will NOT, however, keep an animal if I cannot afford to do so. Keeping in my books includes not only food and water, but vaccinations, alteration and other veterinary care as needed. The fact that we have a low cost speuter program here really isn't the point as most in this area have NO CLUE it even exists. I haven't even used it yet, though I will for my rescue kitten once she's old enough to have the procedure. If the program wasn't available, I would pay full price for the area like most everyone else and if I couldn't, I wouldn't have the kitten. Of course there are also countless other feral cats and kittens everywhere I go, but I won't be claiming them too, as even at low cost I cannot afford to do so RESPONSIBLY. So no, I'm not about to pick up a bunch of stray cats or take in the ones who just show up, shelter them, feed them, allow them to remain intact on my property and whine about not being able to afford to have them spayed and neutered.

PS. If you "hate" cats, (understandably) don't have enough money to get all the strays on your property speutered, and the shelters/rescues in your area can't help for whatever reason: .22 bullets are cheap. You could trap them first if you are worried about missing.

You can either take care of this generation, or all the ones to come:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/148/3522111...77449d6.jpg?v=0 *graphic picture* Truly pompous people can ignore this, but bins like those are filled every day across America and it's all preventable.

So no, I'm not about to pick up a bunch of stray cats or take in the ones who just show up, shelter them, feed them, allow them to remain intact on my property and whine about not being able to afford to have them spayed and neutered.
Well, I guess all I can say is I am sorry if it came across that way.

I just wanted suggestions. I never meant for it to turn tense.

I don't want to ask my parents for the money...things are tight. I am trying to spare them the burden, and figure out ways to pay for it. She is my cat, so I deal with the problem.

I am doing the best I can.

I just don't want people thinking I am a bad animal person...I really, really love them...and if you see how we interact, they love me...

When I took Pearl into my home I thought that money would be fine when it came time to spay her. But life has thrown a loop again, and I am trying. I really am.

No need to feel sorry or defend yourself. Best wishes...

WOW! I think she just wanted to vent more than anything. Maybe now she needs to vent even more. Vent my way I will listen. And as far as help, move to our area. I can get my little Teddie neutered for about $60.00. Heck I paid that much to get Koda gelded. We have a vet here who does the 3 sessions of puppy shots and dewormings 3 different visits for $95.00. This is his normal charge so things must be cheaper in Oregon. And hey we could use a new vet so pack it up and move on over.

Adam I certainly don't intend to get into a wizzing contest with you. You're entitled to your opinion; but there is no place in my post where I suggested that vets should donate their time or supplies for anything. Please don't twist my words. I was simply making a personal observation.

Animals are expensive to properly take care of....my two dogs - lab and mix in avatar cost around $250 a month and that does not include any shots. The lab is on prescrip science diet food that just went up by 30% (30lb bag almost $60) rimadyl ($3.00/day), glucosomine, add in frontline and heartworm meds for both...couple boxes of treats for the month and they are pricey. $220 for the surgery sounds just a little high, but you are getting shots and a full exam too, so it's not really that bad.

I was just at the vet on Monday for Brutus' shots and my vet (wonderful wonderful man) has had to take on a second job to make ends meat...he works at the zoo now too, treating animals. The economy in my state is just terrible and it shows....he said the first thing people cut out when times get tough, is their animals vet care, and he is a very very reasonably priced vet, who does take payments if people can't afford things.

We currently do not have any cats, I'm not much a cat person either, but they are great for rodent control. I will not have an outdoor cat unless they are spayed/neutered....I don't need/nor want 50 cats! I do not feed strays either. Just the other day a cat came into our yard and it was young and very very skinny....although I don't care for cats much, my heart was just breaking, it was meowing so loud/crying. I resisted though and I did not feed it (I know that sounds cruel), it left after a few minutes and I haven't seen it since. When I did have an outdoor cat, my cat was the only critter that could get to her food (as to not attract other cats/critters)...I kept her food in the garage that had a cat door, the cat door would only open by magnets, which were attached to her collar. I don't like outdoor cats to wear collars, but it kept other animals from getting at her food and other cats from sticking around.

It is important to get your cat neutered/spayed, maybe your vet will take payments?

We have a place that does it for free around our place.
default_wacko.png

Thats an outrageous price. When we got our inside female done she was only about $90. But that was 10 years ago...

It cost me $150.00 to get each of my two young cats fixed.. and this is what I would call a poor town. If you go into Hillsboro, I am sure you would have to pay more.

In some areas the human society and animal shelters, will have specials on spays.

Just keep looking and I am sure you will find a low cost spay.. they normally run about $55.00 from what I have seen.

Sammy, I am pretty certian she was responding to me.

I dont fee the cats. You want me to go out and leave them a note " sorry cats you cant live in my barn, you cant eat my birds, because if you do then I am a irresponsible person. Please leave asap".
default_rolleyes.gif

I dont do guns, but what part of "neighbors have taken out a few" didnt you get?

I also agree that $220.00 is outrageous!! At our local Animal Control you can purchase a spay or neuter certificate for $5.00 which is donated to the Animal Shelter and you can take that certificate to a vet that is a participating vet and you pay only $30.00 to the vet and he gets the certificate. (Dogs are higher I think)

Last year I had 5 kittens droppped off at my barn that were just off there mother and could eat solid food. 4 of them were Calico females......
default_new_shocked.gif
. We found a home for the male and I purchased 4 certificates for teh girls. They are all spayed now and it cost $20.00 for the cert. and $120.00 for the spaying so all 4 DONE for $140.00!!

Most of our vets are outrageous down here and it probably would have ran $800-$1000.00 to have the girls spayed. Did I need 4 more cats, NO but did I want them to go to Animal Control and get put down....NO! Thank god for those certificates and the girls are thankful for them too!!!

SammyL...look around and I dont blame you a bit for trying to do the right thing AND to try and get it done at an affordable price!! Good Luck
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back