outraged

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crossbuck Farms

Reaction score
I went to the fair, its big around here. There was a showmanship class and this lady horse was trained so well. She took her foot and put it behind the horses front foot and the horse would place its feet perfectly. She won the class. Later saw the same lady with different horse kicking the horses legs with spurrs on. She told me thats how trains them.

no.gif
Well can we kick her with the spurs
stupid.gif
nono.gif
new_argue.gif
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
crybaby.gif
deadhorse2.gif
frusty.gif
mad2.gif
torch.gif
xbud.gif
xkngt.gif

think that coves it!!!

Oh my god....What a horrrrible person. I can't even imagine doing that to an animal. I would gladly do that and more to that lady though. *fumes* Actually I don't think what I would've done to her had I seen her doing that woould be appropriate for this board! Grrr.

Last edited by a moderator:
dazzler79 said:
I went to the fair, its big around here. There was a showmanship class and this lady horse was trained so well. She took her foot and put it behind the horses front foot and the horse would place its feet perfectly. She won the class. Later saw the same lady with different horse kicking the horses legs with spurrs on. She told me thats how trains them.
419223[/snapback]

Kicking with spurs on?? So backwards?? I guess I am havng trouble figuring this out and getting the picture. To use the spurs she would have to kick backwards - not with her toes. *confused*

If the spurs were attached to her boots - but not being used on the horse - then - they do not enter in the picture except as a sound cue if they are the big rowelled western ones that jingle.

Many people teach halter horses to set up by tapping their toes on the hoof that needs be moved... and then stopping when the hoof gives to the signal, Eventually, they just have to tap the ground with their foot - or point it at the hoof in question - and the horse will adjust - but none of that is kicking. And for some horses it is often a better choice than getting down there and setting feet...

I am just curious as to what she was actually doing....
no.gif

Some mini people would shudder if they knew some of the methods trainers have used over the years to place in shows. Most minis are lucky enough to have owners who treat them more as members of the family rather than livestock. People who have been around horses for a number of years could probably relate stories of things they have heard or seen that in some cases might rate a cruelty charge by todays standards. Mini horse just do not know how well they have it with most owners.

tagalong said:
dazzler79 said:
419223[/snapback]

Kicking with spurs on?? So backwards?? I guess I am havng trouble figuring this out and getting the picture. To use the spurs she would have to kick backwards - not with her toes. *confused*

If the spurs were attached to her boots - but not being used on the horse -

419260[/snapback]

Agreed. Confusing.......and this is how things get blown out of proportion. Sorry, not going to jump on this bandwagon.

Vertical Limit Minis said:
[Agreed.  Confusing.......and this is how things get blown out of proportion.  Sorry, not going to jump on this bandwagon.

419266[/snapback]

Agree with you on this one as well-

justaboutgeese said:
Some mini people would shudder if they knew some of the methods trainers have used over the years to place in shows.  Most minis are lucky enough to have owners who treat them more as members of the family rather than livestock.  People who have been around horses for a number of years could probably relate stories of things they have heard or seen that in some cases might rate a cruelty charge by todays standards.  Mini horse just do not know how well they have it with most owners.
419263[/snapback]

Geese,

Isn't that the truth. Luckily, I have not witnessed personally the things that I have heard about (realiable sources) that go on behind the scenes and at home preparing big horses for showing. I have shown APHA and Arab breed shows.

To clarify: She had the spurs on backwards. She was kicking the horse with the pointed little wheels. The spurs would be on the front part of your ankle around the boot. Hope this clarifies. Also wanted to add they were long spurrs.

I guess I better add to that horse had marks on its legs and I don't think its being blown outta proportion for being cruel.

It just bothered me. Not trying to start anything.

OK now I know whatcha mean.

Did anyone say anything to her about this?

Yes a passerby said something to the committee. I'm not sure what actions were taken. I wish I'd of said something.

dazzler79 said:
To clarify: She had the spurs on backwards. She was kicking the horse with the point little wheels. The spurs would be on the front part of your ankle around the boot. Hope this clarifies. Also wanted to add they were long spurrs.
I guess I better add to that horse had marks on its legs and I don't think its being blown outta proportion for being cruel.

419291[/snapback]

But often many things are on this forum... so you must excuse some of us if we seem a bit cautious - or want things clarified. A halter horse with marks on its legs from spurs as you saw would get the gate anyway - so that technique would serve no purpose.

KICKING with the spurs (and they must have been really long ones to reach past her toes!! wow)???!!

I am not doubting you - but too many times on this forum I have seen minor things blown out of proportion and turned into cases of incredible "abuse".. hence my caution - and wanting to get the complete picture.

In an earlier version of this board - I was flamed royally

for suggesting that an aggressive, biting, kicking stallion needed to be popped in the teeth and get his butt cracked with a driving whip when he was on the attack... HORRORS!! Or need a chain over his nose. And spun around to get his attention.

Or not be a stallion at all... *sigh* ...and I was not the only one who said so.

When you have worked in all aspects of the horse industry for many years - you learn to not jump on a bandwagon - but investigate. Of course there are harsh training methods out there.... and they are not appropriate no matter what discipline you are showing in...

To clarify: She had the spurs on backwards. She was kicking the horse with the pointed little wheels. The spurs would be on the front part of your ankle around the boot. Hope this clarifies. Also wanted to add they were long spurrs.
Have any of you commenting ever really actually worn a pair of spurs? If you have you would know that if they were on the front of your shin.....above your ankle.......they would not be tight. If they are not tightly in place there is no way the spur would remain still enough to make contact without twisting around your leg. Not to even mention the fact that it is such an unnatural position to try to "kick" something. Try it. Sorry........it isn't going to to work. You would be better to kick with the toe of your boot.

The whole thing makes absolutely no sense..............

I'm am not saying you did not see this horse being kicked..........but what I am saying is this person would have been better off holding the spur in her hand to accomplish what you are saying you saw.

There are people here that think razoring is abuse..........don't even want to go on from there.

But often many things are on this forum... so you must excuse some of us if we seem a bit cautious - or want things clarified. A halter horse with marks on its legs from spurs as you saw would get the gate anyway - so that technique would serve no purpose.
KICKING with the spurs (and they must have been really long ones to reach past her toes!! wow)???!!
Edited to say that I just read the above comment...........EXACTLY!

I agree I don't see how those spurs could have hit the horse but actually kicking the horses legs to move them what is that lady thinking
wacko.gif

For one thing you don't even want to touch the horse in a showmanship class, I would have thought she would get the gate for that
rolleyes.gif

I'm not really sure why people think it's hard to kick with spurs facing that way. It's totally possible and not a hard way to kick at all. I just went out and tried this. If she was just kicking with her ankle with the spur not her toes then it makes perfect sense.

Go out and strap on some spurs...I didnt have any trouble kicking out at a table leg and gettin it.

If you saw what you say you saw, and really were that disgusted, why didn't you go straight to a steward and make a complaint?

What you're describing doesn't sound quite right. I'm not sure if you saw what you saw. And if you DID see her do exactly what you say you saw, equal shame on you for not marching yourself to a steward.

And if you're NOT sure enough about what you saw to tell a steward, you shouldn't tell hundreds (maybe thousands) of people online who might potentially know who you're talking about.

Sorry I'm not in your face type. I saw a man beat a lady and stayed out of it because people are crazy these days. Someone did take action if you read the earlier post. I posted it because it bothered me. I doubt anyone would know whom I'm talking about because I don't know who they were either.

Enough said.

This was not a mini show.

dazzler79 said:
Someone did take action if you read the earlier post. I posted it because it bothered me.
419333[/snapback]

And you should have gone and backed up the story. "I saw it too, I'm another witness" makes it a LOT more credible it will be dealt with appropriatly and agressivly.

dazzler79 said:
I saw a man beat a lady and stayed out of it.
You should be ashamed of yourself.
mad2.gif

Latest posts

Back