Our Very First Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering if anyone mentioned to you that you should remove your pregnant mare from grass ?

I used to take mine off grass 60-90 days before foaling

Marty, thank you so much. And thanks to this forum and the information I read, I was able to take our pregnant mare off of the fescue as soon as I discovered she was pregnant. I would have never known about the fescue problem. At least I assumed it was fescue in our bottom acres. We then planted a safe horse pasture endophyte free fescue horse pasture mix in a tiny little pen we have reserved for mare and baby. That has now grown enough to be carefully grazed a bit but it is mostly clover. For most of the time we have had the horses; they have been in a dry dirt bare lot. Resent weeds have been popping up in there as well but it is mostly bermuda grass. We live in a very weedy part of the country where there are all sorts of terrible toxic weeds. Having goats has helped this problem in an enormous way. We have everything poisonous growing all around our acres but the goats have kept it under control. I am going to once again spray for poison oak, and poison hemlock that is growing right on the outside borders of our 6 acres. The goats have completely eliminated the poison oak and starthistle and what they can't eat, they have stomped to death. For most of our horses lives, it just maybe that they will never be able to forage safely on our bottom hill acres but we hope to keep them in a dry safer area up close. I still think that most do not even know about the fescue problem. It can even effect goats to a degree also.

Welcome here from Virgina, congratulations on your new horses, and how awesome that you get to share this adventure together as a couple
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png
default_yes.gif

Ok. so we now have a beautiful filly from Jewel and are wondering if Sparkles is pregnant also. It is hard to tell as I think she has gained weight. If Sparkles is in foal; I did find out that she was exposed to this stallion: "Southridge Destined To Be" and that she has had some beautiful little foals in the past. Does anyone know how to look up the offspring of this stallion as I believe Sparkles (evidently not her real name) has foals from this stallion! I am now hoping that she is pregnant after finding out that she was with a fine stallion.

Back