Our Very First Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparklingjewelacres

Reaction score
We bought our first miniature horses in Oct of 2012 so we havent had them very long at all. We have been trying to learn as much as we can. We have always wanted horses but with having only 6 acres and living busy lives.. time would not make it all practical. The time for us to own our own horses with me home now and upon having grandkids.. has happened.

We decided upon mini's mostly because... they are fun for our grandkids and because we just don't have large property or a large barn area for larger horses. My husband and I have looked forward to this for so long.

Right before Christmas, my husband had a very bad fall in which he had broken his arm badly in numerous places (compound fracture as well) It was discovered during surgery that he also had a possibly serious heart condition. I was so happy to be able to get him home from hospital just in time for Christmas and we are so thankful that he is doing so well.. Many helped us so much.. our sons brought firewood, hay and daughternlaws and their parents also helped too.

I just got out of hospital after 3 days with a complicated heart issue I think related to an weird food allergy- I have no idea but it made my troponin blood levels elevated. I thankfully passed all the tests eventually and got out of there free from any real troubles. We have never had health issues of this sort and our now trying so hard to recover. We werent even sure we could keep the horses if our health got worse ...but... then... I discover that our beautiful chestnut has a belly moving and is indeed pregnant. Oh... I just have bonded so well with these horses... things have been hectic and tirering but we are hopefully on the mend to help care for our little minis. People are starting to realize that these are very helpful in relieving stress and not making it. These little horses bring so much joy. I think our friends are starting to understand that my husband and I both need these right now.

Below are some photos. The pictures of the horses when we first brought them home and a picture of my husband and I with him home for Christmas. I am so happy to have him home with me in that photo. They both needed a little care and had eye issues that have cleared up... they have had vet checks and we are onto another vet visit for our chestnut whom I think is possibly about 8-9 months or even more along with foal.

DSC_0070.jpg

Minihorse2.jpg

DMChristmas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
These little ones for sure can brighten even the toughest times...so glad you are both home and returning to good health with the help of your new "therapists"
default_yes.gif
How exciting to have a little one on the way too....for sure that baby will steal your heart!

Also glad to hear you are returning to good health. Your miniatures are too cute. I'm in love with the rich colour of the chestnut. I'll be waiting to see pictures when the new foal arrives!
default_thumbup.gif

Beautiful mini horses! Congrats on owning them and I'm glad you're doing well =) Good luck with them in the future!

Thank you. We will get some more photos as time allows. I have to reschedule a vet visit for Jewel Chestnut. I know she needs to have vaccinations. So hard to know how far along she is in her pregnancy. My husband and I were at least able to take them for a little walk today. I may will add to the previous thread for Jewel on the Mare/Foal forum.

Welcome to the mini world.

I do suggest a great book called "Getting Your First Horse" by Judith Dutson. The book is for adults and is full of great information.

Again, my very best wishes to you and your hubby - and do please keep us updated with Jewel's progress on the Mare and Foal forum.
default_yes.gif

What a lovely couple you are and your minis are sweet! I know what you mean, minis, they bring so much joy! I hope you have many many years of happiness with yours!

What a heartwarming story. Your minis will bring you joy for years to come. They are lovely, and you are such an attractive couple. You will find that horses of any size will get you through life difficulties. I know there were time when I wouldn't have survived without them. I recently purchased my first mini after having and still have big horses for most of my life. He makes me giggle and laugh.

Karen

I totally understand your joy
default_smile.png
My Mother couldn't understand why on earth I would choose to give myself "more trouble" when I am already so busy and stressed with my own business and two young kids. Only another animal lover would understand the love and happiness they bring us -- which far outweighs the time and effort it takes to look after them. The best way I can describe it is that they are REAL LIFE -- so much of the rest is just garbage.

Enjoy your special time together looking after your minis
default_smile.png

You will find that horses of any size will get you through life difficulties. I know there were time when I wouldn't have survived without them.
I agree ksoomekh! They get you out of bed when you might not otherwise, make you exercise when you don't feel like it, listen to your troubles without judgment and cheer you with their unique personalities and crazy antics!
default_xbud.gif
Others may call us "horse crazy," but I'd venture it is those without any love for animals that are the "crazy" ones!
default_whistling.gif

My little mare is the best physical therapist I have ever had. I have a lot of trouble walking so I use riding horses as therapy but am only able to do this once a week, but with my little girl I can walk a little every day. She doesn't mind all the stops or if I need to hold on to her so I don't fall. I find I can walk further with her and longer than by my self. These little horses are amazing for giving us just what we need, an unconditional friend .

Our Grandson was so excited to be able to come out and walk our little fluffy Mini, Sparkles. Her winter hair has made her look so fluffy and also makes her look heavier than she actually is. This little horse is so gentle. I wasnt sure how she would do with our 2 1/2 grandson but she did wonderful. She has not once shown any aggression towards our dog and our dog loves her too but is so trusting of her. This was such a wonderful day to have our grandson be able to have such a good experience with 'his' first real horse. We are into the miniatures for this reason. The chestnut, Jewel, I am not as trusting with her around kids as of yet - I still not sure how much these horses have had experience with so everything is careful, cautious and slow. Little Sparkles walked so very slowly and was so careful with her feet around our grandson. She tried so very hard and I kept giving her 'good girl' talks to help her relax. Oh what a fun day this was. Here are some pictures below.

Elisha.Sprkles4.jpg

Elisha sparkels 2.jpg

Love the pictures with your grandson.

Miniatures are so special when kids are involved. Hoping they do some wonderful therapy for you and your husband. They certainly can bring a different kind of joy to your heart. Especially watching your grandkids loving them.
default_smile.png

Welcome indeed! So sorry to hear you've had health issues and hope you are both on the mend now.

Your horses looks very happy and healthy and well groomed! You are on the right track. Good luck

I'm sending you both healing thoughts and prayers! I agree that my horses are a huge source of stress relief for me. I cannot imagine life without them. I'm so glad you family pitched in to help you with them! What a great family
default_smile.png

Thank you everyone. It is wonderful news to report that after 2 Echocardiograms that revealed abnormal blood flow with a possible blockage on the left bundle branch area of my husband's heart; the Dr decided to do an angiagram. This test revealed that there was clean clear arteries and no blockage. The fall off the roof had evidently temporarily caused a heart abnormality from falling so hard on that left side. I was dealing with more than 'shock' with him that day when he fell... it was like his heart had done something weird. Through the various tests and rest and recovery.. it appears that his heart has repaired itself to the point that he even has a normal Echo. We are very thankful. His arm is in good recovery as well.

So we have really had such a wonderful time to enjoy our place here at home together and our horses. We have actually been able to spend more time with grandkids and our newest baby grandboy so it has been good. The horses have needed this time to bond to us as well as we havent had them long.

Now.. fast forward. Jewel is due to foal out at any day now. Sparkles... well just yesterday.. I am thinking that .. her belly is growing.. and there is a possibility that she also came to our home bred... time will tell. If we see movement in Sparkles.. we will start a thread in the Marestare section.

Husband goes back to work tomorrow! We sure have enjoyed this time together. We are both doing well now. Garden is started, lots of family has visited and more this weekend. We have had lots of time with all the grandchildren. Today, I was up to trotting with Sparkles. She has been getting quite jealous of all the attention prego jewel has been receiving. I was able to trot and even canter(run) with her a bit. Oh she sure loved that and did very well keeping at my stride and not going too fast. She was even able to learn a new trick. She learned to spin around just like the dog. It is so funny. I could tell that her previous owners had given her treats because she has expected it. I decided that I would not do that as she is always expecting it from me. She gets her reward at the end.. She has a good spirit to please and I think is very workable for me. She sure can test things tho. Over all.. I do not know anything about how to train a horse to do anything they are supposed to do. People say.. oh.. just train them like a big horse.. ok.. so I watch videos and read books for now. We definitely will be needing some help to train these little horses .. especially a new foal and will find someone to help us. For these past few months with both my husband rather off 'hard work' duty, we have thankfully had lots of time to develop a good trusting relationship and bond with these little 'people pleaser' horses. So very thankful.

Back