Our renovation Project...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camelotcavs

Reaction score
Several months ago I posted about the foreclosed property we had purchased and I thought I would post an update.

My Husband is an OTR truck driver so most of the gutting has been done by my 19 yr old daughter and myself. Hubby helps on weekends.

This is a side view of the house:

house1.jpg

The green section to the left is a garage and will be removed. The brown section's roof is being torn off and re-trussed so it will be level with the roofline to the right of it.

Here is a set of "before and after" pics to give you an idea of how extensive the gutting is:

View from kitchen through dining room to den BEFORE:

dr1.jpg

and AFTER:

P3200001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You have taken on a HUGE job!

I'm anxious to see the 'after' pics.

You have taken on a HUGE job!

I have done smaller houses in the past but this one is a monster! So far we have taken out a 30 yard dumpster of "stuff". Most of the old lath we are burning as it frees up dumpster space.

The house has five bedrooms (which we are changing to four with mine being a master suite) a den (family room), living room, huge kitchen, dining room, and laundry room. The bedrooms are all huge for an old farmhouse - the smallest is 11 x 15. I am trying to convince my Hubby to leave the one at the top of the stairs open so we can put a half bath and exercise/tanning bed/craft area up there. We only have one daughter still at home so really do not need a four bedroom house.

We are opening up most of the downstairs so the kitchen, dining room and family room will all flow together. The original dining room will become part of the family room. Hubby had an 18 x 20 kitchen planned out and I said NO WAY! I would rather have a separate dining room that you do not walk through - I have that now and it is a pain going around the table all the time.

I have just ordered the windows and now I know why the majority of the new ones are white - color is almost double the price!
default_new_shocked.gif

We have decide to go with the geo thermal heating system - expensive to put in but when we are old and poor our heating/air conditioning bills will be very low.

Unfortunately we could not save any of the original barns. The structural engineer said there is too much damage.
default_sad.png

You've been very BUSY!!!!

I look forward to seeing more of your progress and the end result
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how you guys were coming along on it... Keep us posted...

What a project. It sounds like it will be awesome!

We have decide to go with the geo thermal heating system - expensive to put in but when we are old and poor our heating/air conditioning bills will be very low.
We put a Geo thermal in our house and love it, very efficent. The way I was told is that if you were thinking about selling the house in the first 10 years the unit would not pay for itself but as we don't plan on going anywhere we installed it and never regretted it.

Will love to see the "after" pictures. Funny how all old farm houses have the same wood work.
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back