Our pasture management has been too good...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
When we seeded our pasture in the fall of 2009, my husband was really concerned about allowing the horses on to it too soon the following spring/summer for fear they'd kill it. That's when I also learned that spring grass is really rich and best avoided for extended grazing until it gets past the spring growth. So it was late June of 2010 before we let them on the pasture for short periods of time and usually with muzzles.

Well, it seems we did a *really* good job of protecting our pasture because it's very well established and abundant in growth. Parts of it I would go so far as to say is lush, in spots. There are low spots around the perimeter of the 1.25 acre field where the hard keeper has chewed it down fairly well. In the corners and in the middle it's tall, about 8-10" right now. When we seeded it, we used an orchard grass pasture mixture from our mill.

My question is this: at what point is the period of the fall "rich in sugar" over and I can safely allow my easy keepers out there more often, especially over the winter? I'd like to allow my younger three girls more time out there to give them that grazing benefit (both in terms of movement and mental stimulation) AND to maybe knock the pasture back a bit so it's not quite so nice next year. I know, crazy right? The fact is that its so well established and in good shape that even if I could let all 4 horsed graze on it 24/7, I don't think they could overgraze it.

My 4 year old has to be kept off of it nearly 100% of the time, even with a muzzle, because she started developing a cresty neck. I pulled everyone off any form of grain late last spring....they simply didn't need it. I'd like to be able to conserve my hay supply a bit too though I have no problem giving them as much as they need.

I have google myself silly trying to find some information on when pastures go "dormant" for lack of a better term. And if it helps you form an answer, I live in the mid-Atlantic area, Maryland specifically.

I am in Nova Scotia, and have one of my mares in a muzzle now because of having foundered a month ago...and the lab informed my Vet to not bother with blood testing for IR, or cushings, until November because of the high sugar content in the grasses.

Glad it helped you find some useful info.
default_yes.gif

Can you have someone come mow it down a little so it's not quite so long ?

I know I'm not in the USA but over here I always waited until mid December before letting my herd move to the long grass fields that I have been allowing to grow up for their winter grazing. I always understood that grass could do a 'spurt' in sugary growth at some time in September, October or November, made worse if you had late Autumn sunny days, so I wait for mid December to arrive and it has always worked for me.

Think I will look at the site given above to check if I have been doing the right thing!

I wouldn't suggest mowing it if you are wanting it for winter grazing - plenty of bulk in longer grass once the danger time is past, plus mine just love digging through any snow that we have, to get the reward of a decent bite of grass - keeps them warm with the extra work/exercise!

My husband can mow it but it will only mow it down so far. Its just a shame that we built this beautiful pasture and it's too good for our horses to just graze on it as we hoped. I guess if I were to do a better job of working them in some capacity (as I swear I want to do and say I plan to do!), then it wouldn't be as big an issue.

Back