Our New puppy!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misty'smom

Reaction score
We picked up our new little wire hair dachshund puppy this past week!!!!! LuLu is just so cute and so sweet!! She went for her vet check today and weighs 2.4 lbs and is doing well, although she cried when she got her shot poor baby! My almost 3 year old granddaughter LOVES her and is so gentle with her too! Sometimes I think she is the animal whisperer, she loves all animals and they love her!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Awwwwwwwww
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png
What an adorable new family member!!! Congratulations
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

awwww. I love wire hair dachunds. My favorite of the coat types of the breed. very cute. Keep the photos coming.

trainer tip of the day... handle the feet, get puppy used to handling ears, mouth and especially feet while she is very young. You can train early and even use a dremmel tool for buffing off the sharp nail tips. My new boston pup now stands quiet while I touch a dremmel to her nail tips to keep them round. It helps keep those sharp nail points from scratching little kids, when I used to trim with traditional nail nippers my kids complained that they kept getting scratches. I love the dremmel. Use the slow speed if you try it. have a second person doing belly rubs during the training sessions... .

She will make a great addition to your family. take care. Ps, your grandaughters expressions are priceless. You can tell she loves dogs.

AWWWW! A little long haired hound dog! ♥♥♥ Aren't the just the cutest! Congratulations and have fun with her!

Carol

OMG!!!! Another Lulu!!!! Named my new pup Lulu too!
default_biggrin.png

I was looking around the dog show I was at today and made the comment that I love the wire haired doxies!!! Cool 'little' dogs!

~kathryn

Thanks for the replies!! I am so in love with my little LuLu!!
default_smile.png
She is doing well and beginning to settle in. Her crate training is getting better each day and she is using her pee pad too!! Once the weather turns warm again and the ground dries up we will begin the outdoor house breaking. She is the first puppy we have gotten this time of year, usually we get them in the summer. I wanted a Blk/Tan wire and they are hard to find here in Va so winter it is! Wires are very common in Europe but a good wire is hard to find here.

Shorthorsemom, Thanks for the tip!! Yes we do play with her feet, dachshunds are known for being particular about anyone handling their feet. We have learned over the years this is an impotent part of puppy training!! We have tried the dremmel on our Lab and it does keep her nails smooth!!

Yep, feet can be tricky on lots of dogs. Something I evaluate on temperament testing. When I worked for a vet I lost count of how many dogs were terrific for shots, ear exams and then went ballistic when the owner casually asked for a toe nail trim. I have seen dogs scream and bite and fight and express their anal glands during a toe nail trim. I disagree with fighting and "getting the job done" and muzzling the dog for toe nail trims. This just reinforces the dogs belief that nail trims are "bad". I do extensive training on feet. If the dog is ticklish you can hold the leg and support the foot rather than grab the foot.

I do an exercise I call "touch the feet"... I touch and food reward, tickle and food reward...eventually work up to hold and put slight pressure, and giving food reward. You want the dog excited and happy when you grab a foot. That is what you work toward. Old dogs can benefit from these foot exercises. They actually learn to enjoy the game. Go slow and back up and start from the beginning if you get stress or resistance. I use the dremmel rather than nippers because most of my dogs prefer it. It does provide a issue with coated breeds for obvious reasons.

I trim the hair on the bottoms of my dogs feet too. Eliminate "slipper feet"... that takes time and training too. Always find a "tummy rub" person and do not let the tummy person get their face near the dogs face. Often you think you are doing great and the dog will take a swipe at the holder. Prevent the bite and use caution during nail trims.

On the muzzle comment I just made... I always teach my dogs to wear a muzzle on command. I slip on a muzzle or tie the mouth closed.. then I take it off with a "good" comment and give a treat right away. You can work up to your dog getting happy and excited when you get out the muzzle and a dog grinning at you with the muzzle on because the treat is coming and they know it. Teaching a dog to accept restraint and love to be held for vet exams will make your pup your vets favorite client. Folks train horses to stand for the vet and farrier but don't think about training their pups and dogs to stand quiet for exams. If your dog is ever hurt badly you might need a muzzle in an emergency. The time to introduce the muzzle is not when your dog is already stressed out or hurt. I have one dog that I know will bite at the vet when stressed. I bring his "own" muzzle, put it on myself, the vet does the shot or exam and when finished I remove the muzzle myself and give a treat. No stress. It really works. My dogs love going to the vets office because they are prepared and trained for it.

Think of all the things your vet does and do it at home and with treats. Lift the tail and look at the butt. Haha. That one will make your dog say "what the?" .... give a treat right away and praise. I could go on and on of all the interesting things you can do to train your puppy to enjoy handling. Now is the time.

ps, love the name, my daughters nick name is Lu Lu

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, feet can be tricky on lots of dogs. Something I evaluate on temperament testing.
I have a puppy who was PERFECT for having toenails done, handled frequently from birth (singleton), nails trimmed frequently--no issues, never trimmed too short, etc, etc. suddenly at 4 months old, she FLIPPED out when I went to do nails one day….and I mean F-L-I-P-P-E-D! Nothing was done out of the ordinary….. I have never had a dog react like this when having toe nails trimmed. I can do EVERYTHING else to her feet, but she flips when I try to do nails….trim the hair between her pads (which I did for the first time this past week) without a flinch….but God forbid I try to trim her toe nails…..

I work hard at handling my pups from very early on, trimming nails frequently without fuss, so that when they go to their new homes, they will not have issues…not one that has come back for a visit have I been able to do as easily as when they left…..

~kathryn

Hi Kathryn, I have seen what you describe many times. A couple of times on dogs I have already trained. It happens. I start all over again from the beginning and retrain. Many folks have their vet do the nails. Thats where the hold and "get the job done" treatment starts. I consider the feet and nails one of the hardest things to get a dog comfortable with. I remember working hard on a pup of mine and letting the vet take the pup to the back for the vaccination only to discover in horror that the technicians trimmed the nails when they were back there. Took me weeks to rebuild the confidence in the pup and I never go to my vets any more with my dogs needing a nail trim for that reason. they don't have to nick the quick to get the dogs confidence shaken. Even holding the paw stresses many dogs.

If I have a dog that suddenly does the FLIP OUT I "up the ante" on the treat going with a super treat and restart with the touch the paw exercise. If dog flips when you reach for the paw you have to go back one step to "reach for the paw... give a treat". It is counter conditioning and cannot be rushed. You do a great job with your dogs and I know you do all what I am describing here... just adding information for those reading that are not as experienced as you. I admire your postings and I love your choice of breeds. They are in my "future dogs" list of admiration.

PS.. just re read your post. Can you manipulate the toes without trimming or do you get the spaz with toe manipulation without the actual trimming? Do you use nippers or dremmel? just curious. I had one dog that had split a nail and it did not show. Dog was agitated with nail trim. I clued in when I examined further. When I first adopted our bassett he was good with his nails. His nails were overly long and he let me trim all of them right away, I was thrilled. Then one day months later he got extreemly agitated with his nail trim. I had to work for months to win back his confidence. He was not nicked, I had no incident that I could blame the change of attitude on... he just one day flipped out. He is great now and I use a dremmel and a tummy and chest rub person at all times on him. Try to do by myself without the tummy rub distractor and he shows teeth and gets very upset. He is my only dog I cannot do without a helper.

ps added note... Not knocking the vet for their get the job done nail trim... hope it didn't sound that way. for a vet that is what they have to do because they have clients to see and it takes a very long time to condition for nail trims. . It is the helpful for the vet if folks do the feet handling exercises. If I have the vet or assistants help me with nail trims I go armed with super treats and try to make it a happy experience. I respect my vets and their assistants.

by the way... there are many folks that do not feel comfortable with trimming dogs nails their selves. They bleed horribly if nicked and it is very alarming to see for manydog owners. Nothing wrong with foot handling training and letting the vet do all the nail trims if you are not confident with knowing how far back to clip the nails.

Last edited by a moderator:
How ADORABLE!!!!

My guys are great for nails. Finn gets his looked at almost every night before we go to bed. If I see a longish one, I bring out the trimmers and do that one. No issues at all. Poor Toby grows talons and needs his done all at once. He gets cuddled as I trim. He doesn't like it but does sit pretty well....

Back