Our New Driver...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeaks

Reaction score
The driving bug struck when I was struggling to find a purpose for the mini's. Especially since Remy hit the ground.

Friend of mine let me know a decent harness was sitting on consignment for a great price. So I snatched that up. It needed some adjustments, but a quick visit to an Amish Harness shop put us on the right track! Shortly after the harness became available the same friend (chuckle) told me about a mini cart on Craigslist... Another trip home with bounty! The cart is in great need of restoration, but that'll come after we are adjusted to pulling it.

Sierra took to driving like a fish to water.

We planned on pushing her until she was uncomfortable, well, this was the end of a 45 minute session...

11247710_10154558441277228_5223264427541728614_n.jpg

It was like she had been driven before, but I know for a fact she hadn't. I did do a fair about of ground driving and ground work as a youngster (She's now 4).

11836745_10154558442727228_8148566217988940271_n.jpg

^ Can you tell I was proud of her?
default_smile.png

This was from our first day with the blinders on, she was great, the bridle was a bit long and considering it was her 4th time with a bit in her mouth... She was brilliant!

11800443_10154542523547228_7645936876419438944_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! She's been absolutely wonderful this whole experience.

She has started running up from the pasture as if wondering when her next adventure begins so I have worked pretty consistently with her since Monday on it. An "old soul" in the driving world
default_smile.png
I sat in the cart today for a brief time with my Mom alongside with a lead as we walked a straight line to see how she faired. Unphased! Steering and brakes need fine-tuning, but she has only just had a bit in her mouth since the purchase of the harness. (Last week). I never had a bridle that fit her so when I did ground drive in the past it was via halter.

Completely happy with her and her intellect!

What a beautiful mare!

I'm so glad that your training/driving experiences have gone so smoothly! Good for you giving her a job.

Why don't you come join us over in the Driving Mini Horses forum section? We'd love to share more of your driving adventures.

Back