Our mini was attacked

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RahRah SC

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
All of a sudden, our little mare’s personality has changed. She’s become head shy and skittish instead of the happy and eager horse she was a few days ago.

We examined Bubbles closely and found a couple of tiny punctures on her ears. We were afraid something had attacked her so we brought her into town for the night. She is boarded in the country about 15 minutes from our house. She has freedom to go into her fenced pasture anytime. Several other horses are on the property too, but they don’t seem to be bothered. No one lives oE291E46C-2E84-4CA1-A16D-247F407A650C.jpegn the property.

When we brought her home, we found wounds under her belly. They are not deep, but naturally she’s sensitive. I have a suspicion that it’s a fox. Several have been sighted and we’ve found foxholes on our trails. I’m guessing it went after Bubbles because she’s little and an easier target.

We will install a deer camera, but that won’t tell us anything until the next day. There’s no internet at the stable so that lets out anything in real time.

How do we protect our mini? If we shut her in her stall at night she won’t have a way to escape. I’m at a loss as to what to do. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it?

Thank you for any advice!

All of a sudden, our little mare’s personality has changed. She’s become head shy and skittish instead of the happy and eager horse she was a few days ago.

We examined Bubbles closely and found a couple of tiny punctures on her ears. We were afraid something had attacked her so we brought her into town for the night. She is boarded in the country about 15 minutes from our house. She has freedom to go into her fenced pasture anytime. Several other horses are on the property too, but they don’t seem to be bothered. No one lives oView attachment 43196n the property.

When we brought her home, we found wounds under her belly. They are not deep, but naturally she’s sensitive. I have a suspicion that it’s a fox. Several have been sighted and we’ve found foxholes on our trails. I’m guessing it went after Bubbles because she’s little and an easier target.

We will install a deer camera, but that won’t tell us anything until the next day. There’s no internet at the stable so that lets out anything in real time.

How do we protect our mini? If we shut her in her stall at night she won’t have a way to escape. I’m at a loss as to what to do. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it?

Thank you for any advice!
Do not know why the photo posted in the middle of the post. Sorry!

I think it would be super unlikely for a fox to go after any horse, even a tiny mini. Foxes are LITTLE! Could it have been dogs? Or a coyote? Is she vaccinated for rabies?

What type of fencing does the pasture have? I would think a stall would protect her pretty well against predators. Is it possible she got entangled in something, and it wasn't a critter at all? I hope she recovers well and is OK!

I think it would be super unlikely for a fox to go after any horse, even a tiny mini. Foxes are LITTLE! Could it have been dogs? Or a coyote? Is she vaccinated for rabies?

What type of fencing does the pasture have? I would think a stall would protect her pretty well against predators. Is it possible she got entangled in something, and it wasn't a critter at all? I hope she recovers well and is OK!
Thank you. The pasture is clear of everything but grass. Everything. Wooden fences surround each pasture. We don’t have coyotes here in the midlands of SC that anyone has heard of. A dog was here today visiting and she was fine with it. I just can’t imagine.
She got her shots last week so I hope she’s protected by now. We just got her in December and the vet treated her along with the rest of the horses.

Thank you. The pasture is clear of everything but grass. Everything. Wooden fences surround each pasture. We don’t have coyotes here in the midlands of SC that anyone has heard of. A dog was here today visiting and she was fine with it. I just can’t imagine.
She got her shots last week so I hope she’s protected by now. We just got her in December and the vet treated her along with the rest of the horses.
I don't know if it would be an option since it sounds like you board your mini, but when we had a neighbor with some dogs that kept getting loose we put chicken wire along the bottom part of our fences, and it worked pretty well to keep unwanted critters out of our paddocks. We just had to be really careful about maintaining it and replacing sections if the wire got at all damaged to make sure none of the horses could get tangled or otherwise hurt on it.

I don't know if it would be an option since it sounds like you board your mini, but when we had a neighbor with some dogs that kept getting loose we put chicken wire along the bottom part of our fences, and it worked pretty well to keep unwanted critters out of our paddocks. We just had to be really careful about maintaining it and replacing sections if the wire got at all damaged to make sure none of the horses could get tangled or otherwise hurt on it.
That could be an option. This is an old family friend who loves horses and would want to keep them safe. Your minis don’t get their legs caught in the wire?

That could be an option. This is an old family friend who loves horses and would want to keep them safe. Your minis don’t get their legs caught in the wire?
No one ever got caught, and we used it for a few years until those neighbors moved! :) We did try to monitor things closely and replace sections as they got rusted or damaged to prevent that from happening.

Okay, this is gonna sound really strange, and I've never tried it with a donkey, but it's the same thing. We were having huge problems with predation a couple years ago, and we had at least one sheep die every night, sometimes more. This went on for a couple weeks. They were in 5 foot page wire fence, we had 3 Great Pyrenees Dogs to protect them, we ran a string of electric around the bottom to keep things like foxes from digging under, and we strung a strand of electric on top of the posts for bears that were climbing over.
None of it helped. Eventually, dad found Predator Lights (google them and they are the first link that come up), and they stopped all predation. The Predator Lights are mounted on the fence just by being screwed onto a fence post, or fence board, or mounted onto a stake driven into the ground. The lights then flash red lights at different intervals. The predators think that there is something there watching them, and they stay away.
The lights are solar powered, so you don't have to deal with having to buy batteries for them or anything, and they worked really well! We were super happy with them!!! We're still using them, and we were able to change the whole path of the predators. They now go up to the neighbours, rather than through our fields.
Sorry to hear about your donkey!! Hopefully she feels better soon and gets back to normal!!

Poor girl. The predator lights sound great. I have 4ft 4x2inch no climb wire fencing where my horses are at night and still see tracks in the paddocks. I'd try the lights or electric between the wood boards and especially under the bottom one. Make sure you use a strong fencer, the ones for bulls are great. If you want to get her a companion a standard, not mini, friendly donkey would probably help. A lot of people use minis to guard and they will but they can get very badly hurt if there are a lot of coyotes.

Poor girl! I'm so sorry this happened.

One of our mini's got attacked by a dog while he was in his stall, right after we got them. This injury looks really similar to me.
(Pic is after it had healed some)
20200624_121030.jpg

Both of our mini's managed to escape from their stalls when that dog got in. We installed dutch style doors afterwards, (was previously gate style) so dogs or other animals can't get inside again.

Also, our mini has never shown any animosity or fear of any other dog, besides the dog that attacked him. He tries to play with our old dog every time he's out with them lol. Our other mini is a different story, although he didn't get bit, he dislikes all dogs since.

Regardless of the species of animal that attacked your mare, I hope she heals quickly and you find a good solution to keep them safe 🙏

Okay, this is gonna sound really strange, and I've never tried it with a donkey, but it's the same thing. We were having huge problems with predation a couple years ago, and we had at least one sheep die every night, sometimes more. This went on for a couple weeks. They were in 5 foot page wire fence, we had 3 Great Pyrenees Dogs to protect them, we ran a string of electric around the bottom to keep things like foxes from digging under, and we strung a strand of electric on top of the posts for bears that were climbing over.
None of it helped. Eventually, dad found Predator Lights (google them and they are the first link that come up), and they stopped all predation. The Predator Lights are mounted on the fence just by being screwed onto a fence post, or fence board, or mounted onto a stake driven into the ground. The lights then flash red lights at different intervals. The predators think that there is something there watching them, and they stay away.
The lights are solar powered, so you don't have to deal with having to buy batteries for them or anything, and they worked really well! We were super happy with them!!! We're still using them, and we were able to change the whole path of the predators. They now go up to the neighbours, rather than through our fields.
Sorry to hear about your donkey!! Hopefully she feels better soon and gets back to normal!!
This sounds like a great idea. My post may have been confusing because we have a miniature horse and I was thinking a donkey may help. Now that you mention it, I’ve heard of these lights! Will definitely investigate them. Thank you!

Poor girl! I'm so sorry this happened.

One of our mini's got attacked by a dog while he was in his stall, right after we got them. This injury looks really similar to me.
(Pic is after it had healed some)
View attachment 43200

Both of our mini's managed to escape from their stalls when that dog got in. We installed dutch style doors afterwards, (was previously gate style) so dogs or other animals can't get inside again.

Also, our mini has never shown any animosity or fear of any other dog, besides the dog that attacked him. He tries to play with our old dog every time he's out with them lol. Our other mini is a different story, although he didn't get bit, he dislikes all dogs since.

Regardless of the species of animal that attacked your mare, I hope she heals quickly and you find a good solution to keep them safe 🙏
That DOES look just like Bubbles’ wounds! Thank you.

While I was out walking today a saw a small herd of cows with some calves. All were grazing peacefully as a coyote was near them. The coyote meandered around them and they never even looked up. Never say never, but I don't think a coyote would attack a miniature horse. Dogs I fear.
My new neighbor asked me if his dog was coming over. The answer was no, but what I didn't say was if the dog did show up I would shoot it.
I'm sorry for your horse's injuries. Hopefully the predator lights will be effective.

Poor Bubbles! I hope she gave the predator two back feet! We have coyotes here and so far no problems, but just recently there were coyote attacks on people in our county reported but all 5 attacks were attributed to the same coyote which was put down. That is really unusual.

We are in a bad drought so I've been seeing some of them scouting around in the daylight hours. I thought they were nocturnal.

Poor Bubbles! I hope she gave the predator two back feet! We have coyotes here and so far no problems, but just recently there were coyote attacks on people in our county reported but all 5 attacks were attributed to the same coyote which was put down. That is really unusual.

We are in a bad drought so I've been seeing some of them scouting around in the daylight hours. I thought they were nocturnal.
I hope that coyote was checked for rabies. I have seen coyotes many times in daylight. I've never heard of one threatening a human. That is spooky.

Latest posts

Back