Our Mini is in the Hospital

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JewelsOK

Reaction score
This morning when we went out to the barn to play with the horses, we noticed that image was breathing rapidly/shallowly (also had a bit of slightly loose stool and hadn't finished his breakfast). I took his temp which was 106.1!!!! Called my vet and she was on her way out of town and said all she could do is give him some banamine and said we needed to get him into OSU (Oklahoma). So that is where he is now. They think it is likely something bacterial (salmonella?) and will keep him in isolation for a couple days and run some more test and make sure he stays hydrated, etc. Said we likely caught whatever it is early. His blood work was a bit off, but not horribly so. None of the big horses are sick and he hasn't been anywhere....so strange.

U/S showed a bit of inflamation in the cecum and a part of the intestine. That is about all I can remember right now. All in all, he didn't seem too sick. He was his sweet, curious self. Very well behaved for the vets. I love this guy!

He just has to be okay!!! Please if you pray, say a prayer that he will get well quickly and completely!

I will be praying for your little guy. Hopefully it's something simple
default_yes.gif

Sending prayers!! I had a mare get salmonella and she did recover as we caught it early.

To give you some good news.........We had a little yearling colt who was at the Oregon State Vet Hospital for colic surgery and contracted salmonella THERE. It extended his stay, of course.......But he came through it ALL with flying colors!!!

Julie, I'm sending prayers and good thoughts that your boy gets better soon.

I just spoke with the vet and he said Image's temp. is normal, he is eating hay and drinking on his own. He has had a couple piles of manure that are semi-formed so he is not getting worse and maybe getting better. I'm sure it feels good for him to have air conditioning as it is so hot hear in Oklahoma. They will draw more blood at 8:00 tonight and see how that is doing.

Thanks for the prayers!!

Prayers coming for your sweet Image, he is in good hands and will be well taken care of. Try not to worry. Please keep us updated on his progress.

God bless Image

I too wanted to tell you I will be sending good thoughts and prayers your way. It sounds like you took immediate action and that will be in your favor. Good luck Image.

Just got another update and my little guy is doing well. He's playing (even threw a little buck when they were listening to his heart and abdomen). He is drinking well. His evening blood work was great (I forgot what the exact test was, but it was normal). He will still stay until at least Monday as they still seem to think it could be salmonella (if it is he could be there for quite some time). He will be checked every hour through the night and have his temp taken every few hours.

Besides worrying about Image, I worry that my human kiddos could contact it as it can be transmitted to humans and two of my kiddos have Ulcerative Colitis. Both are in remission, but on immunosuppressives. I have been diligent about sanitizing Images buckets, bins, muck rake, etc. When the test results come back and if necessary, I will strip and sanitize his stall as well. I don't know how I can sanitize his outdoor turnout area - any ideas? I have removed as much of the manure as I can (as I do daily, anyway). We always kick our shoes/boots off at the door and wash our hands as soon as we get home, so hopefully we'll be okay. Anyone ever catch salmonella from a horse? We will be extra careful from now on. For the most part, I am the only one that handles his manure.

Thanks so much for your alls thoughts and prayers.

I am happy to read he was doing so well yesterday evening and last night! Hoping you get another good report this morning
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back