Our foaling season is over and it was bittersweet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parmela,

Sorry to hear about your recent losses. Thats always a bummer. Good to hear about 2 healthy ones though.

Brenda

Parmela, I am so very truly sorry for your loss. It really is heartbreaking..... I lost my only foal for the year last month, so I more than understand.

Hugs to you,

Joy

Parmela, so sorry for your losses.....been there done that too, and it just flat takes the wind out of your sails. Glad you have two nice fillies to enjoy.
default_smile.png

Jan

PArmala,

It is always so heart renching to loose a foal, but even more so when it is one you were waiting so long for. But it always seems to be the case that the one you are really waiting for and excited about is the one you loose.
default_no.gif
My heart goes out to you.

Oh, Parmela, I'm so sorry to read of your losses. It's just a tough game we're in. Thankfully, the good usually outweighs the bad.

Rita

I'm so sorry, Parmela, for your losses.
default_sad.png

We had a horrible foaling year too, this year - I also have not posted about it. When we have a year like this one, it makes me think twice about whether or not I want to continue breeding. It's just heart-breaking. So I do understand how you are feeling -- it's so, so hard. I am blessed with one healthy little filly - she is very down in her pasterns and hopefully with time she will improve. I'm just happy she made it, though - it was a horrible dystocia and I thought I was going to lose both mom and baby.

Liz R.

The vet just left. She examined Prize (the MM daughter) internally, examined the placenta and the foal. I hadn't looked at the foal since Sunday night when we found it. My recollection was that it was probably premature even though it had a lot of hair. Well, after looking at him again today and with the vet pointing different things out to me it is obvious now that he was full-term. He wasn't overly healthy looking - he was underweight and very narrow across the hip - I mean really narrow. He was starting to get his molars and his legs were very long - probably would have matured around 32-33". If we had known she was anywhere close to foaling we may have been able to save him. She probably had placentitus and he was probably weak, but if we had been there we may have been able to get him up and either nursing on his own or to the hospital.

This now means that both of these colts may have survived if we had known more. As many of you have mentioned, this really makes me wonder why I do this.

Do Not blame yourself, Parmela. It is sad but sometimes it happens no matter how well we watch over them...it just happens. I am glad your mare is o.k.

Latest posts

Back