Our First Little One Due

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
I have been keeping a sharp eye on one of my mares that is going to foal. By her progression I am thinking she is due in about 2 weeks. Last time she foaled a month to the day after we got her. When her bag was about the stage it is at now, she had about 2 weeks left. Sorry no pics. I would be interested though on how much you would clip on her belly so the foal can nurse. It is REAL cold here now. The days are having a hard time getting out of the 20's. I have a run in with a gate that I am going to confine her in when she does foal.

Personally I would only clip about 8-10 inches around her bag and maybe 2-4 inches down her back legs so it doesn't get too messy at delivery. GOOD LUCK and SAFE FOALING!!!!

Wow that is an early foal!

I would also just clip the minimum hair in the belly area so that the foal has a target to head for and will not have so much hair in its eyes.

Watch her carefully and we will be thinking about you!

Wow, you might win the prize for having the first foal for 2010 here! That is an early baby! I agree too with just clipping minimal hair at this time of year, if any. Keep us posted! Guess you will be starting off the foaling season this year!! Oh boy- I get so excited about everyone's new babies!!
default_risa8.gif

Hi

I too would just do a minimal clip. You could brush her really well though and get any lose hair from under her belly and legs.

Good luck!

Vermilyea Farms used to plan their breedings/foalings for January - they used lights etc. to bring their mares in. Other farms may do it also, I just specifically remember them as there were many forum topics about how to do that.

B

[SIZE=10pt]It is a good idea to really brush, and clip, if possible to remove as much of the long winter hair around the udder area. During the weeks preceding foaling, it is good to get the mare used to washing and gentle[/SIZE]

handling of these hind end areas. The foals can run into problems with "hairballs" if the mare has a lot of wooly hair.

Hope all goes well, and congratulations!

Am I reading right that this mare will be foaling in an outside run? If so plan on being there with blankets for the baby and heat lamps to get thru the first 24 hrs or so. Also if temps get down in the teens I would not shave her bag, you could be looking at frostbite and a very tender udder if you use clippers. Just trim the long hair away with scissors.

It is a run in shed with a gate. There is the hay shed, her run in, another run in and behind the second run in is another run in that is in a second pen. All of the windows are covered with plastic. In the summer the plastic comes off and they have ventalation. I didn't plan this foal. She came in heat all on her own. Last year I wintered my stud with the girls. I won't do that again. I think I will use a #4 blade to do the clipping. That way she won't be so close. I am judging her due date by what she did when she had her last foal. To be honest she doesn't even look pregnant. However, I saw the foal myself and she was very advanced in her pregnancy. She still has the clipped area that the vet had to clip when she did the u.s. I think the #4 blade will blend into the clipped spot. I will try to get a pic of her and I will post it later.

Ha, one of my mares last year NEVER looked pregnant! And she had carried a couple of foals before and did get fat. I didnt think she settled until one week before she foaled when she flipped her tail and I saw her huge udder!!!! Looks can be very deceiving, LOL

Latest posts

Back