Our First Foal A Buckskin Pinto Filly!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubyviewminis

Reaction score
I want to thank all of you on this forum that have posted pictures, video, and stories of how handle foaling a mini. All of your experiences have helped so many and now us. So for any new mini owners, or those who haven't foaled out any minis, I will add my little tale that had a happy ending/beginning.

First I want to introduce Rubyview Hotrods Miss Jewel, a surprise, since a buckskin was the last color I expected. Lets see if I can post is from the gallery.

tn_gallery_22149_54_1607212.jpg
tn_gallery_22149_54_670096.jpg
modedit.gif
to add your pics.
smile.gif

First, yes, don't ever get complacent. I knew my Missy was FINALLY close, and all night she just ate, stared at the stars over her door, and ate. She tested 85% on both test kits, after some 9 weeks of wondering when, and no changes at all after bagging up and most of the other physical signs. At 3:30am I got up to make coffee for my husband who was getting up for work at 3:45am. I saw the clock as I turned to go get dressed, and thought as soon as it was light enough I needed to give Missy another bath and braid her long mane since baby was finally coming soon. As I was putting my leg in my sweat pants and walking through the bedroom door I could see the monitor across the living room, now remember, only 3 minutes had passed since I saw her looking over her stall door! She was down and pushing, and a head and leg was out! I skipped and hopped across the house setting a land speed record, and somehow grabbing my slippers and getting those sweat pants on all the way. Thank goodness I had put my shirt on first! At her stall door now, and she got up so immediately I saw there was only one foot and leg out, and the leg was out too far. Down went Missy, and I pulled the sack off the head, pushed the leg in a little and went in search of the other leg. I couldn't find it. My husband showed up fully dressed and later I wondered where he came from! He had heard me running, and threw on his clothes and boots and ran too. He stroked Missy's head while I tried twice more to find the leg, I started to panic because she kept pushing and the foal had a huge head and appeared stuck. The foal had opened her eyes briefly but now she looked stressed so I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and pictured anatomy, said a prayer and felt on all sides for the leg using landmarks on that little body. Nothing. Missy wanted up so we let her up and she just kinda sat up and pushed, then I felt a shoulder point. She heaved a big push again as I grabbed around the shoulder neck and head all at once and POP, out poured baby in my lap!

After about 5 minutes Missy suddenly lunged up before we could grab and broke the umbilical cord and pulled the placenta out all at once. So immediately my husband called the vet who had her flushed in the next hour. Nothing was retained and she was intact, baby and momma were fine. The FILLY
smile.gif
was jumping up and standing as soon as momma had stood up. She went right to the milk bar, and is all legs it seems. 20" high and a 7.25 cannon, we measured twice. Her right front leg was the one pinned back, I still don't know where, and was weak the first day and bent in. She wouldn't lay down to rest it all day. The vet said she would be fine, but I called my other vet because it looked terrible and she was limping that afternoon. Well, she was normal today! She is a pistol too. I reread all my books, and printed topics from here, and found what I did right, and what I did wrong. So they can change and foal with the snap of a finger!

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't work, and I used instructions from a couple of people. Anyway she is the new gallery image for today. You cant' miss her!

Congratulations! And well done on your first baby, and delivering her safely.
default_aktion033.gif

Brilliant news!! Congratulations!! Well done you!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Anna

I am so glad there was a happy ending for you and your mare. Congratulations!
default_aktion033.gif

Congrats on your new baby. Perhaps you can email the photo to a forum member and they can post it for you? Would love to see here.

Beth

Congratulations on your new baby. I enjoyed reading your story. Made me chuckle a few times, and smile for you other times.

So happy to hear mama and baby are doing well. You are going to have fun with your new filly!

This forum is loaded with info and advice...you chose a good place to start
default_wink.png

I could'nt see the pic in the Gallery, but I don't know how to find a particular pic
default_wacko.png

LOVED your story! I got the adrenaline rush along with you and hopped along the floor pulling on my sweatpants. Try that with answering phone calls from Mare Stare people as you hop out the door!!

Too funny!

Yes, sometimes you cannot find that second leg and just have to deliver with one foot back. Been there!

Looking forward to photos!

I found her. If you guys look at her profile there is a sction called gallery that her pics are on, not the main photo gallery. Cute filly, congratulations!
default_aktion033.gif

Congratulations on a successful first delivery and a cute filly!! And you may not know how to post pictures yet, but I wonder how many others of us had no idea there was a gallery in our profiles that we could add photos to?? So you are teaching us - thanks!

Congratulations!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah We've delivered 2 now with one leg back like that. It's always soooo scarey until you get them out!! Glad you had a happy ending and a pretty filly!

Thank you. I am finally recovered, sore from the waist down. Can't figure that. Now that I can think straight, anyone that wants me to email pictures to post for me I would appreciate it. Soooo relieved to hear that some of you have delivered with one leg back still. I kept thinking, I did it wrong. But reflecting back, I knew that big baby wasn't coming out on her own like that.

Mama went out in her pen this morning and is walking with her back legs kinda high and funny. When I get off here I will go watch. From what I have read here, it does happen and will resolve. But my vet (I am so lucky to have him up here) left a check up call, so if she continues with no improvement will take her in.

I did want to add for anyone new to this like me, at one point I felt around Missy's lower pelvic bone with my hand in the sack next to the foal. I was feeling to make sure that wasn't part of a leg, but worried about pinching mamma's nerves, the thought flew threw my head during the panic. And I was surprised at the room in her, her contractions were strong but didn't hurt my arm.

Most of all, the birth videos everyone has posted over the last 3 years here and on their sites, gave me the experience I needed to help my Missy and Jewel. Words cannot express how grateful I am. Even with my book,"The Complete Book of Foaling," your videos helped the most because the images were there to draw upon.

100_2071.jpg

100_2070.jpg

Congratulations. She's beautiful. Ill be sure and let the kids know, Summer will be thrilled.

Thank you Heather. I posted a video on the other forum for anyone who wants to see. I forgot to add that my husband was an IEMT/Firerighter years ago and he helped me so much and kept me calm and thinking, grabbing and throwing per my instructions from my two foaling kits. He is my hero. Grandkids have a package of foal surprise on the way Heather.

She's adorable! Congratulations and thank you for sharing the story!

Back