Our first Christmas Parade!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilli's Mum

Reaction score
Last night Chilli and I went in our local Christmas Parade. I was very nervous as this was the first real test of all the training we have done and I hoped everything would go well.

I left work early (thanks boss!) and Chilli had a quick bath as she was, predictably filthy when I got home. Then I plaited ribbons into her mane and dressed her roller up with tinsel and bells and completed her ensemble with a santa hat. She was very good apart from trying to eat the tinsel. Then we walked down into town, nearly caused two traffic accidents as passing motorists craned their necks to catch a glimpse of her as they drove past!

I relented and let her graze a little on the oval while we waited for the start and she was quickly surrounded by children who were desperate for a pat. Then we were on! I followed santa who was in a vintage car. The parade included the country fire service vehicles and police cars with their sirens and lights going, some farm implements and hot rods and a big group of primary school children with banners and balloons.

Chilli made a little friend who insisted on walking with us. The little girl admitted to me that she was too scared to go up to santa so I suggested that she tell Chilli what she wanted for Christmas and Chilli would pass on the message to Santa. She thought about this and then very seriously addressed Chilli and told her what she wanted.

The parade went well and Chilli was great except for a minor heartattack when she spotted the giant jumping castle. Afterwards she was inundated by children wanting to have their photo taken with her - it makes you feel pretty good to know that my little princess will feature in a lot of people's photo album's!

Overall I was very pleased with her as she has probably never seen so many people at once before and it was very noisy. Hopefully next year we will be able to do the parade in harness!

Well how fun is that!!!??? Chilli sounds like she was a great ambassador for the miniature horse breed! And assistant to Santa, well what greater job could there be!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story.
default_biggrin.png

Chilli made a little friend who insisted on walking with us. The little girl admitted to me that she was too scared to go up to santa so I suggested that she tell Chilli what she wanted for Christmas and Chilli would pass on the message to Santa. She thought about this and then very seriously addressed Chilli and told her what she wanted.
Oh that is just too precious!! Sounds like you and Chilli were a hit
default_yes.gif
Parades are so much fun, especially the ones at this time of year. Enchantress and I did our tiny one Wednesday night and had a ball. Glad it went so well for you both
default_wub.png

How wonderful! It sounds like Chilli was quite the little trooper and a perfect helper for Santa. I love the mental image of her trying to eat the tinsel! So cute.

Leia

Oh, thats wonderful
default_biggrin.png
Sounds like you and Chili had a great time. What an experience
default_aktion033.gif
Please post some pics, we love pics
default_wink.png

It sounds like Chili was such a good girl for the parade. Glad you and she made so many new friends!!!

sounds like a great time the minis are always a great hit with kids and adults alike

such a great way to promote the breed . sounds like chilli really enjoyed it too

and to be a santas helper how cool

Lori

I hope you got pics!!!!!! We love parades for the same reasons.

Can't wait to see pics!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Thanks everyone! I was so proud of Chilli and I hope she is a good ambassador for the breed too. Now everytime I go into town people are asking about her and I seem to have become "the lady with the pony". I'm going to have a try to load some pics....

293564060.jpg

293564063.jpg

293564067.jpg

Phew! It worked!

I loved reading about your parade experience!!! Just think how many people who saw Chilli and got to meet her who are still thinking and talking about "that little horse"
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I love the pictures, too! She looks so pretty
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Aww, thanks guys! I am really amazed at the response she has received in my town but I guess I shouldn't be surprised - she won my heart the first second I saw her and she delights me everyday. I just ran outside to pop her top rug on as I heard it start raining. I must have looked like a crazy lady, running across the paddock with her rug over my head and a torch in one hand LOL! Still, a soon as she heard me she started neighing and trotted up as fast as her little legs could carry her to get her rug on and a cuddle.

Minis are just the best cure for a case of the blues!

Latest posts

Back