Our 21 year old stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy sigh....
default_smile.png

Isnt he great!! What a nice story. I liked all of his kids in the picture. He is a beauty.
default_wub.png

Congratulations him and to you.

What a happy looking boy! I'm glad he enjoyed himself, maybe he will still be up for it next time the show is near you. What a photo opportunity though, you'll treasure that in years to come. And quite a few of his kids/grandkids at one show, but I can see why his foals would be popular!

Wow - I can't think of a better testament to a stallion's greatness! That picture of him with his descendants is priceless.

Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing. I was impressed with your boy and the photo of his get.
smile.gif

That group shot is really really nice Kendra..l didn't even realize all those minis were related to your guy.

What a wonderful story!!! That is awesome and he looks so great!!! What terrific pics and a handsome boy and a great family pic too!!! It all really made me smile!! Congrats to you and Valdez! What a guy!!

What a fabulous story and the pictures are great too, you should be proud of yourself for looking after him so well. Thanks for sharing your story, I too think it should be sent to a magazine.

Yvonne

I loved this story, and your guy is gorgeous! The picture with all his get and grandget is really cool.

Kendra, how COOL!

I have long admired the quality of 'all-around' horses that have come from your family's breeding operation...not sure how many of them are his, but some must surely be! I've also always liked him from the pics I've seen of him--and I assure you, I don't say that very often about stallions! The proof is in the pudding, as they say...and Valdez Y Basan has surely proven himself!

Now, I have a question...I've also long been curious about his name? Can you tell us the story behind that? I am not familiar w/ the 'North Star' prefix, am *guessing* it is someone up your way, though??

Isn't there a 'Valdez'(pronounced w/ a long E, unlike the Spanish, where it is usually a surname, and the E is pronounced 'eh')in Alaska? The word 'basan' is totally unfamiliar to me...but I'd be very interested in the 'story behind the name', if you know it!

Congrats on your fine senior gentleman's accomplishments!!

Margo

Thanks everyone for your nice comments about Valdez!! We are very lucky to have him as a member of our family, and hopefully we'll have him for many years to come! As I say, he's as sound as he's been in a long time right now, so that's a good sign! We had 3 foals from him in 2010, and expect 4 (fingers crossed) in 2011.

Margo - Valdez was born in Alaska. North Star is the prefix used by Alton & Rene Blahuta. Valdez was born at the same time as the Exxon Valdez oil spill (March, 1989) and he's named after the explorer who discovered the Port of Valdez - Valdez Y Basan . The Blahutas stopped at our place for a layover on their way to Texas to put Valdez (and some other horses) in training for a few shows. When they stopped on their way back home (Valdez showed in one show as a two year old in Texas, won 4 Grands, 3 Supremes and enough points for a ROM) Valdez stayed. They called him 'Vale-deez' and shortened it to 'Vale', but us Canadians pronounce it like it's spelled.

As a fan of Valdez I really enjoyed this story!
default_wub.png

What an inspiring story of such a GORGEOUS horse! I just LOVED the way that you cared for him in his time of need. You should be so very PROUD of yourself & of such a BEAUTIFUL Bay Pinto Stallion. I have alway's LOVED the bay's & bay pinto's!!! The picture of him with his get and grandget is one to be framed. Just LOVED it!!

CONGRATULATIONS on your winning's!!! He sure doesn't look like any 21 yr old. Just GORGEOUS!!!!!!! Love the Picture's of him!!!

Thanks for the 'backstory', Kendra...very interesting! Seems my instincts were on the right track about where he was 'from'...!

Now I am curious about what really IS considered the proper Spanish pronunciation for 'Valdez'. In NM, I've only ever heard 'val-DEHZ'('eh'sound of the e), and recall always wondering about the pronunciation I heard when the EXXON VALDEZ disaster was being reported, because of the difference in the pronunciation I heard, and what I was used to hearing here. Time for some research, I guess!

No matter HOW you say his name, your little man is a good one!

Margo

Latest posts

Back