Our 21 year old stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kendra

Reaction score
Ever since we bought him in 1991, North Stars Valdez Y Basan has been our #1 stallion. We showed him lots as a young horse, in halter and driving, with his biggest win being a Reserve National Champion at the 1992 AMHA National Show. At the age of 11, a good friend talked us into bringing him out of retirement and he won Reserve Canadian National Senior Stallion with her (extremely!) skilled handling. Later that year, Valdez got his head caught underneath a gate and was badly injured. His facial nerves were cut on both sides of his head and he had great difficulty eating as his lips wouldn't close. His spinal cord was damaged and initially he could stand, but to move from place to place he needed support on both sides to stay upright. There was a time when we thought we might lose him, but with a lot of veterinary care, he pulled through. That was 10 years ago.

This year our club show was close to home (as it is every other year) and they once again offered a "Geriatric Horse" halter class, for horses 20 years and older. It's just for fun, but this spring I started thinking about taking Valdez. He's as sound as he's been in 10 years this year, and while there are many of his foals and grand-foals out showing at all our local shows, there was people who had never seen him, and I thought it would be nice to get him out there.

We literally pulled him out of the pasture with his mares and took him to town. One bath later, he was ready to show! He didn't show til Sunday, and arrived at the show mid-day Friday. Valdez isn't used to being in a stall, and even with frequent walks, by Sunday he was pretty stiff. Luckily, with lots of walking and massaging of his hind legs, he loosened right up. Valdez was so excited to be at the show, which is funny, because he wasn't really a big fan of being a show horse when it was his primary occupation. He mooched treats from everyone in the hitching ring while waiting for his classes, and watched the show with great interest.

Valdez was Grand Champion Senior Stallion under both judges! It was very exciting for me to get the chance to show him, as I never have before (I was too young to show a stallion when he was first showing) and for him to do so well. The judges were very surprised when Valdez came into the Geriatric Horse class, which is a great compliment to him! He won first under both judges. Then he finished the show with a Judges Choice, an award given to the horse the judge would most like to take home with them.

Valdez at 21 years young: (thanks to my friend Christine Tilleman for the photos of Val!)

39901_457837785662_607170662_6614242_3590852_n.jpg

Valdez and Christine's stallion, Ivan's Chief, the Reserve Champion - pair of pretty bay pintos!

33492_457837335662_607170662_6614234_3884475_n.jpg

After the show finished, we asked everyone who was showing Valdez get or grand-get to bring them to the arena for a photo. We're so grateful to everyone for the chance to get this picture!

40031_457841000662_607170662_6614342_1278438_n.jpg

Sunday evening we went home, and turned Val back out with his girls, but it was a great little adventure!

valdezrun.jpg

What a wonderful story!!! I loved it!
default_aktion033.gif

He looks like he is happy to be back home with the girls!

It is so good to hear happy stories like this!

Congratulations he looks wonderful.

Hugs

Bonnie

Oh my gosh Kendra that story is enough to bring tears! How wonderful it is to see a senior in such glorious condition. Take a bow. And I love how his off spring showed off their genes. He surely is quite the sperm donor! Big hugs to you and Val and another for Christine! She's great.
default_aktion033.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_worshippy.gif

Nice story..................I have an older boy that loves the shows too.

Your fellow is a really good looking boy...congrats
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

That is a wonderful story and Valdez looks fantastic! Kudos to you for doing such a fantastic job loving him and bringing him back from his injury to look as great as he does. I love that picture of his get - what a legacy!

Barbara

default_aktion033.gif
Congrats that is just awesome!!
default_aktion033.gif
The pictures are wonderful but the picture of all his get is priceless!

What a beautiful story! And Val looks just awesome! Thanks so much for sharing.

What a great story! That is something that should be in a magazine! I loved reading it and what a fabulous horse you have. Thank you for sharing.
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

What an absolutley awesome story! and the picture of his get and grand get
default_new_shocked.gif
WOW! You must just be beside yourself! Really impressive!

Congrats to you and your beautiful boy
default_wub.png

Joy

That is soooooo cool!!! He looks awesome for 21 yrs young. Thanks for sharing you wonderful story.

Gina

That is a fantastic story and wonderful pics. He is a beautiful man. If he were a person he would still be foxy!!!!

What a great story. I hope you will send it to the miniature horse magazines.

I totally agree...it is awesome for an older equine to come out of so long a retirement and look as great as he does! Definately would be good reading in the magazines!

thats a great story and a really nice boy. lol that is so funny because we are taking our 20 year old stallion to a local show this coming weekend just for fun, this will be his first show I think since he was at worlds in 1994.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always admired Valdez's get and grand get. I was so happy that I finally got to meet him in person. He is gorgeous!

What a heart warming and very moving story. The pictures are brilliant - loved the one of all his get and g/get, and all at one show as well!! He is a very beautiful horse and he looks amazing.
default_wub.png

Many congratulations and thanks for posting.

Anna

What a great story. I hope you will send it to the miniature horse magazines.

I totally agree...it is awesome for an older equine to come out of so long a retirement and look as great as he does! Definately would be good reading in the magazines!

fantastic heartwarming story ! he looks wonderful for his years , you should pat yourself on the back
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back