Orphaned Work Legislation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, my teacher this semester has been discussing this legislation and what it might mean for artists... what the changing face of freelance art might mean if it does pass...

Andrea

It is so incredibly wrong - I'm a very minor artist, all just my own goof-off nothing work- but I don't know what can be done against this... and I've barely heard anything about it

Why aren't sanctions being put on since this violates the International copy right laws? I would think this could be taken to court and overturned if it does pass if it violates international laws. It's so rediculous and very wrong.

Well, it is on the Congress floor and they have passed it through to the next step. I agree it is very wrong but it will go through, sadly.

Short of someone becoming a Lobbyist and being able to state your case on the congress floor in person and have the power and money to get the Gov, Bill gates and the big companies to back down..........

First NAIS,, now this... is like the Gov doesn't want to small business around and to put us out of business. Sigh ~~

And....

Problem is, the US, thinks it is above any other Gov in the world, it doesn't have to play by the same rules..By what I see happening lately.

What makes me so mad is,, they did not tell the Art folks out there.. like when the NAIS first started,, it was kept quiet.

I did not even know about this until a couple of months ago...and it just floored me. Because my Art is my only chance...of some time in the future to help put food on the table. I can no longer work normal jobs.

Right now... I will have to pull all my shops and web sites down once I know this bill is final because as they have it written now.. I could not afford to pay their Sugar money. Do not make enough at this point to cover their costs.

Knew a couple of Artist that are more handicapped than I, and their only income is their art. They are not rich..both living in single wide trailers because that is all they can affort. This bill could put them on the street.

My art, I spend a lot of time and pour my heart into each piece, no one else should have any right into my work.

But too many big Businesses and the Gov..want things for free..so what better way, than making a law that makes it so. And takes away our legal rights to the things we make.

This country is no longer, for the people by the people. :Cold-Scared

Last edited by a moderator:
We are not truly a democratic country and i see more and more of our rights taken away every day and slowly slowy more and more restrictions added. it's sad and the worst part is they have brainwashed people into allowing them to take our rights by saying stuff such as "well it's for your own good against terrorism" or some such excuse. We will not have many rights as individuals soon enough. It's frustrating but unfortunatley i think that's the way it's going.... we are run by the Ghestapo .

I agree with you. Is sad America is becoming what it says it hates in other countries. We are fast becoming no better tha Cuba or any other cold war Countries, in how they treated their people.

They already get 1/2 our pay check because of the Gov/State taxes, plus property tax and all the other taxes they make us pay.

Now they seem to want to take away..any way.... for us to make a honest living. Sigh ~~

I would really hate to move to another country but we might have to, if I want to be able to continue my Art and to be able to afford to do so.

It looks like it could be a nightmare for ANYONE. Here's a excerpt from the article:

"You could see photos you take of your family and kids, or of a family vacation, used in a magazine or newspaper without your permission or payment to you. You would have to pay to register your photos, all of them, in every new registry in order to protect them. Say the average person takes 300 photos per year (I take a lot more than that). If a registry only charges $5 per image, that is a whopping $1,500 to protect your photos that are protected automatically under the current laws. If there are three registries, protecting your images could cost an amazing $4,500. Not to mention the time it would take to register every photo you take. Plus, you will also have to place your copyright sign on every photo. "

I think we all should protest this, artists or not!!!

Another quote from the article:

"That's not including all your art, sketches, paintings, 3D models, animations, etc. Do you really have all that extra time and money? Plus, even if you do register, the people stealing your work can still claim it was orphaned and, unless you fight them, they win. Even if you win, you may not make back your legal fees.

It gets even better. Anyone can submit images, including your images. They would then be excused from any liability for infringement (also known as THEFT) unless the legitimate rights owner (you) responds within a certain period of time to grant or deny permission to use your work.

That means you will also have to look through every image in every registry all the time to make sure someone is not stealing and registering your art. You could actually end up illegally using your own artwork if someone else registers it. DOES ANYONE SEE A PROBLEM WITH THIS? "

unfortunatly that's the way it's working. they pick apart at different "types" of people (artists, farmers, ect ect). No one else but that "type" of person is likely to be upset... so then you take their right away you go for the next type.. again that type is the only one likely to care.. And even if others did, the farmer isnt likely to help those that turned their back on them. Unfortunatly it's a vicious cycle and a slow gruadual way of taking away everyones rights sneakily. it's sad. Everyone needs to be concerned about their brother/sisters/neighbors ect rights because everyone is going to be needed to fight against it. The minority will never win.

This is why I wanted all of you to know about it. Doesn't just harm the Artists, harms all the normal everyday people,too.

And most people have no clue this is even going on. Wonder why the Gov and big business...feels the need to hide what they are doing?!!?!!

They are not even letting us Vote on it. They should be fair..put it on a ballet and have the nation Vote on this bill.

But then,, they know it would not pass that way.
default_torch.gif

This is terrible...

I need to read more, but I'm gathering that it means doom to any artist, or anyone creating anything for a living or supplemental income.

Liz

Latest posts

Back