Orphaned mini filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahk2021

Reaction score
It's kinda a long story. Our miniature filly is now 3 weeks old. She lost her mom just 15 hours after she was born. We have been feeding her milk from a bowl because she never would takeva bottle. She is doing really good but is cutting herself back on her milk intake. She does eat grass and hay. We recently started her on foal lac pellets, which was recommended since she was cutting herself back on milk. Our problem is we need to have water available to her to. But when she gets water she wants to suck the whole thing down and then skips a feeding or 2. How can we teach her when to stop drinking water?received_3914031955389808.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for your suggestions. We just started her on the foal lac pellets, she hasn't taken to them to much yet. But is showing interest in them. We are still offering her milk at her regular feeding times until she does better with the Pellets. We have tried small amounts of water, but I will try smaller amounts of water and space it out more and see how she does. Thank you

She's a very lovely filly and looks very healthy. I agree with the suggestions.....just experiment with the different options until she tells you what she likes best. I like Taz's idea of dissolving some foal lac pellets in some water and see how she takes to it.

So I put some of her foal lac pellets in a little water. Our filly (Sammie) loved it! We only did it twice for her and now she is taking to the foal lac pellets really well. We are also doing small amounts of water here and there through out the day. She wants to suck the water down every time so we will just stay with small amounts more frequently. She atleast isn't getting to full where she doesn't want to eat. Her appetite actually seems to be increasing. Thank you.

My daughter named her Sammie. Her mom's name was Sam and my daughters name is Kylie. So she put the 2 names together, Lol. Sam and my daughter had an amazing bond, now she is caring that bond on with Sammie.

Last edited:
That's great! I'm a worrier so going to add keep an eye on her hydration. If she's getting dehydrated at all give her all her foal lac pellets in water instead of dry. She is just adorable!!

She's adorable! So happy to see the great update..... and those little booties!!! 🥰 Do you allow her to be in the house for any length of time?
The one orphan we had, we had him stay outside part of the time so he could learn "horse". But we also allowed him in the house every day and I made him wear Depends Panties...would just cut a small opening in the bum area to pull his tail through. Interestingly, he rarely soiled them.

She's adorable! So happy to see the great update..... and those little booties!!! 🥰 Do you allow her to be in the house for any length of time?
The one orphan we had, we had him stay outside part of the time so he could learn "horse". But we also allowed him in the house every day and I made him wear Depends Panties...would just cut a small opening in the bum area to pull his tail through. Interestingly, he rarely soiled them.
We have a mini pen set up in the house for her. When she was getting milk through out the night she spent more time inside. But she is outside most of the time now. We bring her in a little here and there because my daughter loves spending time with her. I have 2 kids with disabilities and she does amazing with them. We let her walk around the house occasionally and she hasn't went to the bathroom yet when she walks around. She has been good about holding it until she gets in her pen or goes outside. We are wanting to train her for a therapy pet.

Attachments

• 20210725_211343.jpg
    20210725_211343.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210728_210710.jpg
    20210728_210710.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 9
There is a lady near me who has her horse potty trained, she is on Dr Pole one in a while, Little Horses Big Smiles, she has a FB page that deals with training ,potty training, stairs, and everything to do with therapy training, check out her FB page I think you are mostly there on the potty training part if she waits to go in her area in the house.
Good job she is adorable.

Latest posts

Back