ORPHAN FOAL

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
MY 3 WEEK OLD ORPHAN FOAL(MARE DIED SAT) BACK LEGS HAVE STILL NOT COMPLETLY STRAIGHTEN. VET SAID WAS MINERAL DEFIEIENCY. FEED STORE SAID NEEDED GROW COLT SUPP BY FARNAM. BUT HOW MUCH DO I FEED AND HOW OFTEN? OR IS LIQUID BETTER AND EASIER? THANKS

I would ask the vet if there is a mineral supplement which she/he recommends and if it is a specific mineral that is lacking. I'm not sure just what your foal's legs look like--is he/she down on her pasterns? Sometimes selenium deficiency will cause lax tendons and if that's what it is then your vet can give a selenium shot which should improve the foal's legs very quickly. The vet should be able to give you more/better info than the feed store guy can.

I would strongly suggest either Rejuvenade by Progressive Nutrition or Foal Aide by Buckeye Nutrition. They are vitamin/mineral supplements for foals. Both are available in paste form and are easy to use. They are high in vitamins A, D & E which help tremendously with leg issues.

So sorry about the loss of your mare. I am sad for you
default_wub.png

I want to add my deepest condolences on the loss of your mare. I too am raising an orphan this year altho my filly had 9 days with her mom to get that all important colostrum and a good solid start. Like others have said I would expect it is a selenium deficiency affecting your foals legs but you would be best to call your vet and ask them specifically what mineral(s) they think she is deficient in and what they recommend. A lot of foals improve pretty quickly with an A D and E with selenium shot but it may be your location is deficient in something else and the vet may have assumed you already knew what. won't hurt to ask.

Latest posts

Back