Organizing a Clearing House For Stolen Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
The first place that any horse theif would head in my humble opinion to turn over a stolen horse quickly would be a horse trader or public livestock auction house. Many times there are "no questions asked" by the owners of course, so it would be a must to get everyone's name that dabbles in this sort of thing.

Here is the only idea I have been able to come up with to try to recover stolen minis and it may not be a good one but it's a start.

It would require us to make a state by state log of every "trader" and public/private livestock auction house that we can think of.

We can complile a list.

We would each have a completed list.

In each state, give the name, location, and phone number of where an auction is held and the names and locations and fax # of known horse traders/dealers.

For an example: I know of three public livestock auctions in my area and three horse "traders" that I could call if I thought a stolen horse would come through this area. I could alert them and also send them a fax with pictures.

Of course not all people would even bother or care, or even go look at what just came in sometimes, but they might indeed if a reward were to be offered as an incentive.

If everyone can contribute to this list, we can then possibly put out the call when there is an abduction.

I feel we must also have on hand a number and location of every weigh station in every state. This way we can get a jump start to notify them to watch for all trailers coming though in record time.

I also do not know where the horse processing plants are located anymore either and they can be added to the list as well.

This may not be a good idea, but it's better than the nothing that we have now.

Maybe someone else can come up with something that is better.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way accusing any horse dealer/trader/ livestock auction person as known recievers of stolen horses.

I think this is a wonderful idea! This might possibly help recover some of the horses that are getting stolen daily across the country. Netposse might even help with keeping the list and getting information from more sources.

Mary

Great idea Marty
aktion033.gif

But not all states require you to go across the scales or even show health papers etc on horses being hauled.

There is a plant in Illinois processing horses. I don't know the town but I'm sure others do.

I think it's a great idea. My son in law knows of one in Hillsdale Michigan, not just horses but he said he has seen minis sold there before on a pretty regular basis.

I'm 300 miles away and haven't checked it out yet but he did say they require Coggins at least there. Might be a start for info in Mich..

Maxine

Well we have to have an ORGANIZED way to search for Jan's horses.

There is power in numbers and we have had stolen horses brought up here before us in the past so we should move on something.

I am plum out of suggestions so anyone else have any ideas let's have it. I don't like sitting here and do nothing about this when her horses are out there someplace being abused.

We also need a way to contact the general public, not just horse people.

Suggestions please.

There are two sales yards that I know of here that have horse auctions every month.
no.gif

One is the Kalona Sales Barn and the other is the Belle Plaine Auction. There is also a BIG sale twice a year in Waverly mostly for drafts and big horses but they do sell some minis and ponies.

It is possable there are others here in Iowa but I don't know where they are.

Marty,

What you are proposing isn't a bad idea, especially in regard to getting names of auction sites and "horse traders" in each state.

The livestock checks probably won't be much use as private trailers don't need to stop in most states...only commercial haulers.

Here in our neck of the woods I only know of one auction yard. It's The Central Oregon Livestock Auction, located in Madras, OR. They seem to have a pretty good reputation.

Have no idea what auction yards there are in Western Oregon.

MA

Marty,

Since all of the auctions that I know of require a coggins, do you think it would be possible to send an alert to the vets in the state where they were stolen and possibly in the nearest states also? Most reputable dealers also require a negative coggins before they will purchase any horse.

Someone told me (don't know if it is true or not) that the slaughterhouses also require a coggins.

Mary

There is a good, reputable horse sale company in Mountain View in OK. A vet is on site to do coggins at each sale, but I don't think he asks about ownership. If someone could send pictures of the stolen horses to this sale operator, I am sure he would be more than willing to cooperate if he can. www.westheritagesales.com

Marsha

Another in IA:

There is a horse sale every month (possibly twice a month) at Story City, IA.

Pam

Latest posts

Back