Oregon People PLEASE READ

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse Feathers

Reaction score
Just got this email and thought someone in Oregon should know

Subject: [The_Trailriders_Journal_Online] new horse law-not good!

new horse law alert---to All Equine Owners and Fanciers:

I am attaching the Senate Bill being proposed in this year's legislative agenda!

Briefly, horse owners will be required to register their animals with a state agency (similar to the DMV) and do a transfer of ownership (like the DMV) when selling an equine (horse, donkey, etc.). Initially one must register the animals one owns now and pay "up to $100" (in government-speak "up to" means "at least") fee per animal!

There are many provisions in this bill for private sales as well as "registered dealers" etc. But there are also lots of seemingly humane requirements regarding shipping, etc - don't let these fool you. Unless you are five years old, you must have noticed how everything the Government gets involved in escalates exponentially! You know the fees will continue to go UP and UP and UP! The regulations will continue to get more and more restrictive - before you know it, only the very wealthy will be able to afford to keep a horse!

First they establish this "bureau", then it must be staffed with highly paid (more than private sector) highly perked personnel who belong to the public employees union and will strike against US - those who pay their extravagant salaries and benefits for services we don't want! NO NO NO! DO NOT LET THIS GET STARTED! BEWARE THE EVER ENCROACHING GOVERNMENT!

Contact your state Senators and say NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

THIS IS IN COMMITTEE NOW - we need all Oregon horse owners, trainers, boarding facility owners, and anyone else who's livelihood is in any way impacted by contact with horses to contact your state

senators by email AND phone. Understand that I am talking about your state senators, not Sens. Wyden and Merkley. This is happening in Salem right now. Your action is needed immediately if we are to have

any chance to stop this. If you don't know who your local senator is, go to <http://www.leg.state.or.us/senate>www.leg.state.or.us/senate .

Enter your address and zip, and you will be given their name and contact info. We must be proactive before this escalates! If you opt to be complacent, this could destroy what is left of the horse industry. If this progresses, we will need every voice, from every horseman, that we can rally. Can you imagine our country with no horses? Can y our imagine your life with no horses? Email AND phone your senator NOW - phone calls actually carry more weight than emails, but we must do both. Tell him you will be watching how he votes on this bill, and that you will keep that vote in mind next time he comes up for re-election. They know how many of us there are, so they will also know that we can tip the votes in favor of their opponents.

At the bottom of this email, I have included two sample emails for you to use. One is from the position of the horse owner. The other is from the position of the equine professional. Choose the one that fits your situation, feel free to copy and paste it into your email. If you wish, add your own words to personalize it.

Subject:Senate Bill 0262 Regarding Equine Activities New licenses, taxes and fees for owning horses and mandatory filing of ownership. Fee per horse.

Friends and Fellow Horse Owners and Lovers - A bill has been introduced that, if passed, would have a wide

reaching effect on the horse industry and all horse owners. I've attached a link to the bill and I urge you to read it in its entirety even though it's 16 pages long and much of it may not seem to apply to you personally. However, don't be lulled into inaction just because most of the bill seems to be aimed at equine rescue

facilities, auctions and horse transporters - this bill contains much insidious language that will drastically affect horse ownership and everything related to it in this state! Those who breed, raise and sell horses will be severely impacted as will anyone who buys horses for resale. Much of the language sounds "reasonable" - aimed at insuring humane treatment of equines at rescue facilities, auctions and during transportation. Yes, horse abuse exists, we all know that and occurrences are far more frequent in these trying economic times.

Abuse and neglect are unacceptable now or at any time, but this bill is NOT the way to eliminate it! It introduces an onerous "tax" on all equines residing in the state for more than 30 days and it's ramifications will be felt throughout the state - boarding stables, racing stables, training stables and trainers, horse sellers and haulers and Joe Average horseowner will be burdened, not just financially in the form of the licensing all equines, but in the extra hours of bookkeeping that will be required for all equine professionals in monthly reports to the state as well as requirements to permit state inspectors onto equestrian property at will to ascertain suitability of facilities, feed, care and much more. This bill, in effect, finds all horseowners guilty of horse neglect and abuse until you prove yourself innocent!

Don't take my word for it - don't take anyone's word for it. Read the bill yourself - take the time to highlight any parts that will affect you personally and I think you'll find a lot of yellow covering those 16 pages. We can't afford to stick our heads in the sand and say, "It won't cost me very much and maybe it will be good for the horses....." It will cost you dearly and in the end it won't be "good for the horses" either. Pass this on to all your friends and horse organizations so that we can become informed in order that

we can prevent passage of this bill.

<http://www.leg.state.or.us/11reg/measures/sb0200.dir/sb0262.intro.html

http://www.leg.state...0262.intro.html

Sandra Matthews Colorado Springs, CO ApHC Director, Territory II Zone C

Susan Barackman Morning Light Studio

Paris , Texas 75462

[email protected]

now on the net at ... http://susanbarackman.freeservers.com

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a horrible bill that will cripple the Oregon horse industry. Diane, Minxies mom on the forum, went to a town meeting last night with 2 senators and said about 300 horse people showed up to protest the bill. She sent out an interesting email to the mini people and I hope she chimes in and tells everyone her experience. Diane????

While I am irritated by the hysterical fear-mongering tone of the letter ("NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!") I certainly agree with their point. How terrible if that got started! Washington and Oregon currently share a reciprocal relationship where we can attend shows in the other state without having to pull Coggins (a TREMENDOUS savings to the horse owner who only shows in those two states) and something like this would turn us from one of the easiest to one of the worst states to own a horse in. Ugh!

Hope it gets voted down muy pronto.
default_no.gif

Leia

Sounds like the western state's brand inspection laws to me? I fully support a government inspection and bill of sale. I like having an official sales document. In CO it costs $27 to get inspected (which you have to do every month unless you buy a passport for $72). What's wrong with this bill?

Too much regulation and not in a good way is what's wrong with this bill, Nathan. Maybe you like brand inspections and being inspected monthly - why? Do you feel it cuts down on what? Abuse? Breeding? Trading? I'd love to hear your reasoning for why this is a good thing.

I read this bill and I can't see every time you sell a horse having to have a notarized bill of sale. I have weekend buyers that drive up to 8-11 hours to away, so I should say too bad, go home or higher a travel notary to come notarize the sale? What about Internet sales? I sell a horse to be deliver, again travel notary?

I don't even live in Oregon but can see this is bad for the horse industry in general, and potential opens the door for this crap to spread to other states. Honest people police themselves. If they're going after the horse trader/dishonest people lumping us all together isn't the way to do it. I would think it would be easier to have a law if you get X number of complaints against you from different people (named people), then the local animal control agency has the right to inspect you're premises with no warning, but the people complaining against you should it be proven false must be made public to avoid the crazies out there that think a horse standing in a field in the rain is being abused.

If I send a horse for breeding to Oregon under this legislation, I know have to register the horse, and pay a $100 fee to the government? Why? More paperwork needs to be filed when it leaves the state? This is nonsense.

If they want to pass a bill to beef up the ability of animal control to go into suspect/bad situations write one that addresses that. I'm all for that. I live in California and we have fairly aggressive/good laws that are enforceable for mistreatment/abuse.

(2) The department may enter the business premises of an equine

trader during reasonable hours to inspect equines on the premises

and inspect the inventory and other business records of the

equine trader. + }

As most of us work out of our homes, that is our 'business office' so that would apply to our homes and personal computers(assuming you use you're PC for business)as well.

Sorry I'm not in favor of making the government more intrusive into an individuals life, or adding another layer of bureaucracy to the already bloated state and/or federal government. But to 'create' jobs for someone to go out and inspect you're horses monthly? Why? Are we at risk of spreading disease? We do not raise 'feed animals. Will the next step mandate who can breed who, what and when? No thanks.

If it's stricter breed control, that should be up to the registries and individuals. Institute some sort of breed inspection such as the Friesians use Friesian Inspection, but not the state government.

The section of this bill addressing trailering horses, too me is a no brainer, but how enforceable will it be? Will they require stopping at all the truck stops to check paperwork? It won't affect horses that have been trailered for 8+ hours BEFORE they enter Oregon. Oregon isn't that large of a state, to put a horse on a trailer for more than 8 hours is a bit of work.

The section regarding rescues is one of the only parts I do like, as I sincerely believe rescue work should be monitored because of their special non-profit status. As such should be more closely governed as they work with outside donations, and are 'believed' to be doing good work, for the benefit of a breed/species.

Kathi - I sent Diane's letter out on the Northwest yahoo group this a.m.

I, too, am opposed to this law (how many more horses will be abandoned or sent to slaughter?), and will be talking to our legislators about the matter.

My understanding, according to the bill's sponsor, who responded on another forum, is that this bill is in committee and far from the senate floor. She said that this was primarily aimed at fraudulent rescue groups and at keeping double-decker kill buyer trucks from coming through the state. These provisions, however, are not amongst the questionable parts of the bill.

Nathan, the proposed bill contains much more than "brand inspection." For example, as it currently reads, any horse being transported for more than eight hours would require a six hour rest. Huh?

However, I have to agree with Leia regarding the hysterical letter, not to mention the idea of someone from out of state (not horsefeather) screaming at us via email. This very letter could turn many off from even reading about the issue, which would be a shame.

Sorry but sometimes 'hysterical' is the only way to grab some people's attention to something.

I too hope it doesnt pass. They have gotten rid of the brand inspections for horses here... after years and years and years of having it and having to have 'hauling papers' on a horse (it was a few dollars, a permanent card issued to the owner, then any new owner would have to reissue one in their name if it ever sold)this was canceled from the program. Cattle, etc... still have to be inspected.

The horse program was not doing anything but taking up livestock inspectors time, and if you sold something and needed papers on it, it was quite a wait for them to come an inspect. I think they spent more on gas than they gained in fees and it really was an inefficient program.

It did NOT stop horses from being abused, stolen, etc.... If you were hauling somewhere, officials had a right to pull you over, right there on the hiway, and inspect all your papers and animals. Anywhere in the state at any time- even hauling on your OWN ranch (which are usually quite large here and cover several miles)

All I see from this program is that Big Brother is watching you and it's another way to tax people and the government to stick their noses into what you own ..... are they afraid that the horse traders are selling horses for 'big money' and not reporting it or something so are coming to 'audit' when they feel like it? If you are a breeder and sell a few a year, are you then considered a 'trader' and will have them show up at your farm too and check out your books, your horses and anything else they desire.............

The whole concept is stupid. It's an obvious attempt to raise extra money for the government. Afterall, those city folk all know that horse people HAVE to be "rich" to even afford owning a horse!
default_wacko.png

It's also going to be interesting to see how they plan to enforce this.

This makes me think on the AG surveys we have to fill out every year where we inform the government if we have any "livestock" and what kind........and if we have a garden, or egg laying chickens .....and if we are selling anything we produce.......
default_torch.gif

Yes Miniv, they know everything you have and now they are going to make you pay for it, again and again.

This Bill is 100 times stupid and most likely brought into being by people that don't even own horses.
default_1857272.gif

This is the letter I originally posted after the meeting:

I just returned from a Town Hall meeting in Medford, OR with Senator Alan Bates (D) and Representative Sal Esquivel. Concern about SB 262 was the reason for my attendance.

After searching for a parking place for 15 minutes, I realized I wasn’t going to be the only one there. I saw several duallys parked here and there, so I suspected there could be a few horse people in attendance. When I arrived and was told the meeting room held 35, I thought there was going to be a problem. I couldn’t see all the people there through-out the hallways and lobbies, but guessed the mob that had arrived wasn’t all going to fit in that meeting room. A lady in charge announced, because of the turn out, we would move the meeting upstairs. After all the people filed in there were over 300.

When walking up the stairs to the new meeting room, I happened to be walking next to Rep. Esquivel. As we chatted, he told me that he had read SB 262 just the day before, and didn’t like it and would do what he could to stop it. I was able to give him the letter I had written about my opinions and another letter written by an acquaintance with their opinions about SB 262.

I had to feel for these two men, as they were completely blind-sided by the turnout and emotion in this crowd of angry horse people. They were not expecting this meeting to be about this issue at all. They didn’t realize there WAS any issue. They both immediately explained what they knew about the bill, and that neither of them would support it. They went on to explain Rep. Esquivel was just named to the Environment and Natural Resource Committee where this bill now lies. Rep. Esquivel assured the crowd he would “kill the bill” in that committee and it would “never see the light of day” outside the committee. Senator Bates explained if, by chance, it did make it out of that committee, it had to go to the Ways and Means Committee that he was appointed to and HE would make sure it didn’t make it out of that committee alive!

The crowd was not done with these men. These were horse people and they wanted to be heard! To their credit, the legislators allowed people around the room to put voice to their concerns. We heard from back yard horse owners, trainers, the racing industry, breeders, cutters and reiners, barrel racers and brand inspectors. I saw in attendance a few vets, farriers and feed dealers. What we all had in common was the love of horses and how this bill would affect our lives in one way or another. As we all know, the horse industry is full of “A type” personalities. It was reassuring to see these strong personalities join together to defeat something coming our way that would be detrimental to the well being of an industries already in the worst economic shape it has ever seen.

The one issue I got out of this meeting that I want answered, is what Rep. Esquivel eluded to as the “fingerprint” of the bill. What that meant was, whichever Senator that introduced the bill, didn’t put his name on it. Rep. Esquivel said that was highly unusual. When he and most others sponsor a bill, they put their name to it. In thinking about this, my opinion is there is a powerful person that has this “anti-horse owning” agenda and that person has a senator “in his pocket”. This person had the bill written and instructed their Senator to sponsor and introduce the bill. Apparently, the Senator didn’t have the backbone to put his name to it…or maybe it was an oversight? We were informed at the meeting, this was the second time this bill has been brought up. I will be asking my legislators to provide me with the name of this Senator. This Senator needs to know, this bill is a “third rail issue” and he needs to make sure it never comes up again. He needs to know the consequences of it coming up again is the horse world will put their collective money into making sure he NEVER gets re-elected. That is how our system works.

Diane

I received this response from one of the people that received the letter:

The bill was written by a woman named Lindy Minten. She presented to a Senator friend of hers - Metsger - (near Portland, not sure exactly which area) who was on his way out. He got the bill officially written up and dropped it in the ring for her before he left office - I believe into a business/transportation committee. I don't know the process well - but that's the background I have.

This was the second letter I sent out:

I have received a couple of notes back from you with additional information about the author of this bill. If you would like to have more information on it, just google Lindy Minten and you will find information. It sounds not quite as sinister as I originally assumed, but still bad enough to be worried. It sounds like this will be the end of the bill as it is written, but this person has good intentions and looks like she will continue with her passionate fight. Depending on your politics, you either like or dislike government control of our lives and that is ultimately what this bill is about. This is the last I will write about this subject, as I think it has been put to bed for now.

I want to think about my horse and all the fun I am planning this year! The weather is nice as I sit and type, so I believe I will go outside and play a little with my ponies!

Diane

I am not very political, but this seemed like something I should pay attention to. I just did what I know how to do...write what I saw.

Diane, Thank you for going to that meeting and for telling us about it.

For anyone interested, Lindy Minten and info on this bill can be found on Facebook at Oregon Equine Legislation, at http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001970076600&v=feed&refid=17

As much as it pained me to "friend" them, I wanted to know where things stand. On her latest post, Lindy Minten states that the bill is all but dead, that it won't be heard. However, other posts suggested that this will not simply go away...that someone else will most likely try again.

Another Facebook page on the subject is Oregon Equine Registration Bill Sb262 Stop It Now (http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=177349228967267&refid=17)

I assume Rick Metzger is the legislator who Diane mentioned. Shame on him.

Thanks Diane for the update.

Suzanne, good idea to friend them. The old 'keep thy enemy close', so you know what they're up to. It would be interesting to find out why she's behind this legislation. Horse welfare I can appreciate, but zealous government involvement no thanks.

Diane,

Can I post your letter to other lists? Am trying to get the Icelandic horse people to listen and I think your letter might just do that.

Diane,

Can I post your letter to other lists? Am trying to get the Icelandic horse people to listen and I think your letter might just do that.
Go ahead, Shari. It has already pretty much gone viral around Oregon. I have seen it on a couple of forums and I didn't send it. A couple of other people asked to share it with their groups. It really is a compliment, but thanks for asking first!

One of those big horse forums (whose nickname rhymes with MOTH) has a thread on this topic to which Lindy Minten has replied.

If anyone wants to read what she has to say but cannot decipher my hint, send me a PM and I'll direct you to it.

Excellent Diane! I dont understand what this woman thinks to gain or what would be the advantage to a bill like this? Is she getting something out of it in the long run? That was awesome to have such a great support group from all types of folks involved in the equine industry there to speak up. Great job!

She hates horses and their owners? Or she wants to bring in lots of free money.... Have no idea.

But I do hope this stupid bill is stopped.

Thanks Diane!

As much as I agree that this would be a terrible law, this woman does NOT hate horses or horse owners (she is one). If you read her posts on that other forum, you'll see this quite clearly.

From what I've read, her intentions are good, but she views the world through rose-colored glasses.

If she and the bill's supporters truly hated horses, this would be an easy battle, but if we just say they hate horses, we will miss where they are coming from and lose this fight -- the general public will NOT read enough of this bill to understand its inherent problems; instead, they will read the headlines and vote to "save the poor horsies." We, as horse owners, are in the minority.

If you look at the Facebook page, you will see that people are already planning their new approach. We need to get involved, change the focus to the REAL problems and come up with thoughtful, practical solutions.

As much as I agree that this would be a terrible law, this woman does NOT hate horses or horse owners (she is one). If you read her posts on that other forum, you'll see this quite clearly.

From what I've read, her intentions are good, but she views the world through rose-colored glasses.

If she and the bill's supporters truly hated horses, this would be an easy battle, but if we just say they hate horses, we will miss where they are coming from and lose this fight -- the general public will NOT read enough of this bill to understand its inherent problems; instead, they will read the headlines and vote to "save the poor horsies." We, as horse owners, are in the minority.

If you look at the Facebook page, you will see that people are already planning their new approach. We need to get involved, change the focus to the REAL problems and come up with thoughtful, practical solutions.
Very well said, Suzanne. Tell me what to search on FB to find these people.

I agree with you, that this woman is very passionate about her cause. This is not the last we will see of this issue. I do know that the legislators we spoke to won't do anything rash if this comes up again. They really do not want to face an angry mob of their constituents again.
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
They know this issue is political suicide. You are so right that we have to change their focus to the real problems and a logical way to fix these problems without imposing more government control in such a broad swath. If they try to get this issue on the ballot for a public vote, THAT is when it will become a bad problem and then it will be trying to convince the public that it is bad. It takes a lot of signatures to get something like that on the ballot, but someone that is passionate about a cause may work at it hard enough to make it happen.

Latest posts

Back