ORAL use of Injectable Ivermectin

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witts Mini Horse Ranch

Reaction score
I have searched the archives, I know this has been discussed...but could not find the dosage for horses. I haven't tried it, but have seriously been thinking about giving it a try. Just received an email from Valley Vet and they are having a sale on it...and I need to restock. Cannot ever remember to ask my vet about it.

Thanks!

My vet recommends 1 cc per 100 pounds.

Never thought about using it on the horses. Have used it for the dogs for over 20 yrs and also used it when we had dairy goats.

I will say it is NASTY tasting, not sure how easy it would be to get down a horse. ( I mixed it with Karo for the goats)

Thank you ruffian! uwharrie on of the reviews under the ad for it a person states they soak an apple waffer in it over night..but didn't give a dosage. I suspect the paste taste pretty nasty.

My vet gives me a liquid ivermecterin that is 1cc per 200 pounds. But that may not be the injectible. It is just a liquid.

The liquid Ivermectin IS 1cc per 100 pounds. We squirt it into their mouth and then immediately give them a handful of grain to help get rid of the icky taste.

Its NOT injectable!!!!!
default_smile.png
I'm sure you meant to say "liquid" rather than injectable. Its 1cc per 100lbs. Round up, more wormer won't hurt.

Yes, I should carifly that it is injectable for cattle, swine but NOT horses. Orally for horses. I hope I am looking at the right stuff...yes it is a liquid.

You might also want to check out "Bimectin" brand Ivermectin. It's about $3/tube that does 1250 pounds of horse. It is ivermectin but instead of a paste, it's a clear apple flavored gel. My horses LOVE it as if it's a treat
default_smile.png
And at the price, I think it rivals the cost effectiveness of the liquid
default_yes.gif

We use Ivomec off label here as they discontinued Eqvalan Liquid, it is the injectable for cattle and swine and we use it orally in horses at 1cc/100 lbs. We also have Summit Pharmacy up here, I believe that it is in Ontario and they make Ivermectin cubes that is Ivomec made into a sweetfeed tablet that some horses eat easily or you can mash it up in a little grain, it is 1 cube per 100 lbs and people seem to like them as they are easy to use.

Thank you everyone...after Jill's post I looked at the Ivermectin paste. Valley vet has it for 2.49..buy 12 (which I always do) and get 2 free...worms 1250 lbs. If my math is right it is much more economical

We use Ivomec off label here as they discontinued Eqvalan Liquid, it is the injectable for cattle and swine and we use it orally in horses at 1cc/100 lbs. We also have Summit Pharmacy up here, I believe that it is in Ontario and they make Ivermectin cubes that is Ivomec made into a sweetfeed tablet that some horses eat easily or you can mash it up in a little grain, it is 1 cube per 100 lbs and people seem to like them as they are easy to use.

Wow......That's super! I've not seen the cubes here. We're in Oregon. Maybe it's something only available in Canada?

I haven't seen the Ivomec cubes here but then I haven't looked for them either.

We use the Noromectin, because it is a fair bit cheaper than the Ivomec (or at least it was, Ivomec may have reduced their price now too, I'm not sure about that) and it works just the same. It too is 1 cc per 100 lbs, given orally.

I don't think that the Noromectin tastes as bad as, for instance, Banamine. Used to be there were paste dewormers that, after the horses got their dose, some of them would refuse to eat oats or anything for a little while afterward--it tasted yucky enough and the taste lingered long enough that they thought the offered oats contained more of the same! The Noromectin (or Ivomec) is much easier to give than the paste dewormers.

I find that with paste, if the horse has any bit of food hidden in his mouth it is likely to be spit out with a good portion of the paste stuck to it. With the liquid--that doesn't happen. Even if there is a bit of food in the mouth it usually doesn't get spit out after the dewormer is squirted into the mouth. Another benefit--in cold weather, the paste often gets too firm & is 1) harder to get out of the syringe and 2) is more likely to get spit out because it is too cold to stick to the mouth. Even when cold the liquid is easy to squirt out of the syringe, and it still adheres well to the tongue & mouth. It has a rather oily consistancy so it coats the tongue & doesn't come back out once it goes in.

I haven't seen the Ivomec cubes here but then I haven't looked for them either.

We use the Noromectin, because it is a fair bit cheaper than the Ivomec (or at least it was, Ivomec may have reduced their price now too, I'm not sure about that) and it works just the same. It too is 1 cc per 100 lbs, given orally.

I don't think that the Noromectin tastes as bad as, for instance, Banamine. Used to be there were paste dewormers that, after the horses got their dose, some of them would refuse to eat oats or anything for a little while afterward--it tasted yucky enough and the taste lingered long enough that they thought the offered oats contained more of the same! The Noromectin (or Ivomec) is much easier to give than the paste dewormers.

I find that with paste, if the horse has any bit of food hidden in his mouth it is likely to be spit out with a good portion of the paste stuck to it. With the liquid--that doesn't happen. Even if there is a bit of food in the mouth it usually doesn't get spit out after the dewormer is squirted into the mouth. Another benefit--in cold weather, the paste often gets too firm & is 1) harder to get out of the syringe and 2) is more likely to get spit out because it is too cold to stick to the mouth. Even when cold the liquid is easy to squirt out of the syringe, and it still adheres well to the tongue & mouth. It has a rather oily consistancy so it coats the tongue & doesn't come back out once it goes in.
That is a very good point, if I am lucky enough to get the full dose of paste in their mouth...the second challenge is to keep it there...I would think the liquid would also be easier to hide in food...for the lil brats that really fight something being put in their mouths. I have some that start the battle as soon as the see the tube.

I always use the liquid Ivermectin - 1cc per 100 pounds and I add molasses to it - have had no problems with the horses trying to spit it out.

We use the liquid (cattle injectible) and have for years. It does taste awful, I manage to get some in mouth at least a couple times a year. Carrots after helps. I like the molasses - do you mix it in a bigger tube? We use a 6-12 cc syringe so could add molasses. I've even thought of apple juice or gatoraid something to mask the nasty taste.

The Noromectin (or Ivomec) is much easier to give than the paste dewormers.

I could not agree more no matter what the paste is that you are giving...

This all has me so confused. I miss my liquid Eqvalan( can't get the generic stuff either)since they took it off the market. But there must have been a reason why they took it off the market. Are you guys saying that it is okay to use the cattle injectable orally? What do the vets say about that?

We use the ivomec pour on on the cattle. Hart just picked up gallons for them last week. That stuff just goes through the skin, just like the dog stuff we put on for Ticks. Is it all the same stuff?

They used to say that you could not use ivomec on collie dogs, but it doesn't say that on the Frontline package. I think that figures out to be about 1000% percent mark up if it is the same stuff as cattle. What a rip off for pet owners. Maybe ivomec is ivomec.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back