Opinions on Mare/Situation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

First, thank you all in advance for your help. I'm in a bit of a sticky situation and would greatly appreciate any feedback. I realize I will get varying opinions, but that's to be expected.

Here's the situation, in a very condensed form. This mare was away for breeding to an outside stallion since 2008. She was ultrasounded by the stallion owner (not a vet) on many occasions. Eventually I was informed she was in foal with a due date of May '10. May rolled around and I was told she was moved to the foaling lot with the other mares close to foaling. I waited. At the end of May I recieved an email stating she was not in foal. I was told she was put back with the stallion and then recieved an email in June stating she had been ultrasounded in foal. At my request she was ultrasounded again in July and at that time I was told she was no longer in foal. I decided two years was long enough and made arrangements to bring her home. She arrived in early August looking older (which I guess happens when 2 years have gone by) and certainly not in foal. If anything, she was on the slim side. She's been with me and since August and has had no contact with any in tact males.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. I did a long-term/forever lease on two of my mares to a woman who is a vet tech for a hospital that does some work with horses - not a lot, but some basic work. She came to pick up her mares and said "when is that one due?" My reaction was who? I don't have any bred mares! She's pointing to Butter. I say "she's not in foal." But the woman insisted she sure looked it. I dismissed it knowing she'd been US open.

So now I've moved to my new place and lots of things have changed. One of those things is that I have complete view of all my horses from my back deck. So I see them a lot more basically. So I'm looking out on the pasture yesterday and see THIS! I took a picture and thought maybe I'd get some help from those more experienced than I here on the forum. My problem is I have no truck, no trailer and no vet in this area who will US a mini!!! I'm actively searching out a solution to this, but have had no luck so far.

So, based on the info I've given you and the picture below, would you think this mare is fat, pregnant or just standing funny? This mare is 19 years old and has many babies, with the last being 2007.

butter2010nov.jpg

If she's not pregnant I'll eat another turkey!
default_wub.png

She looks like she's about to have twins!
default_biggrin.png

I do not think you need an ultrasound...that mare is either in foal or has swallowed a small, inflatable house!!!

Sure looks in foal, but I would suggest a WeeFoal 120 which will work up until 300 days, by which time you should start seeing a bag! Good luck!! Sure hope you get that long-awaited foal.

Hi there!

Yes, I will second the eating another Turkey! She certainly does appear bred and looks like she will foal soon.

Congrats!

As big as she is you should be able to feel plenty of movement! Put her up for a couple of hours in a stall with no food or water, give her a cold drink and feed her in the stall. While she is eating right after her cold drink reach down in front of her bag area and you should have movement ASAP.

Yeah, sign me up for a turkey!!!!! I think I would be watching her VERY, VERY closely.

These girls like to be tricky. I had one that got as big as a house through the winter along with the other bred mares, but come May, and waiting and waiting, turns out she was still open. I agree with the suggestion above, get a WeeFoal test and give yourself some confirmation one way or the other. Let us know what it says.
default_smile.png

I know this is going to sound CRAZY based on how long I waited for this foal, how much I WANTED this foal and how much I PAID to get this foal...but I'm kind of freaked out by it now. I am so not set up at this new place for foaling. Not anywhere close. But you guys are right, she sure does look it. I wonder why the negative US as late as July? Either way, I guess I can look into WeeFoal. I've never used it, so this will be yet another learning experience. I'm sort of tired of learning experiences at this point.
default_wink.png
Is there an exhausted smiley???

Thank you all for the responses. There sure are going to be a lot of folks eating more turkey if she's not!
default_yes.gif

Parmela - take a deep breath and take it one step at a time. Order your WeeFoal, collect urine (do a forum search for ways to do it)and see what the test says. Maybe this was meant to be..

I would do the tummy hold test. If she is over 5 months, you should be able to feel it sashaying around!!! I will keep my fingers crossed!!!! Sounds like this foal was very much wanted!

I have an older mare that has had many foals and everyone always thinks she's pregnant. So they can fool you. However your mare is looking very large. I would first try to feel for fetal movement. If you get definate baby thumps you'll know!! Otherwise I'm with the others and get the Wee Foal kit! Good luck regardless!
default_smile.png

She certainly looks heavily pregnant, but....I have two or three older mares who look this way year round LOL, and none of them have been bred in probably 4-5 years. Does your mare have any kind of bag? I think I'd be watching her closely but I'd also do the Wee Foal test if you can't get an US done. You might lose a lot of sleep over nothing, otherwise - or miss a surprise foaling.

Jan

I would definitely do the test, but I too have seen mares that are in their later years look like this year round. A good friend of ours had one that was actually called "Potsy" and you swore that Potsy was in foal and nearly due every year. She looked like that from her teens on.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for the best!

She certainly looks pregnant to me, but I've noticed winter hair tends to accentuate my experienced broodmares' post-baby bodies, whether they're bred or not. So far WeeFoal has been 100% accurate with our mares, and it's a small price to pay to know for sure.

Holy cow Parm!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_unsure.png

I hope she's on the stallion report, just in case!

Holy cow Parm!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_unsure.png

I hope she's on the stallion report, just in case!

Hi Robin,

Yep, I talked to one of the stallion co-owners a couple of weeks ago and he said she's on the report.

Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions. They are much appreciated!
default_yes.gif

As for the WeeFoal thing, I just can't imagine me having the time or patience to collect urine anytime soon. I know I can get a vet out that can draw blood, so was wondering if anyone has any luck or thoughts on going that route????

Latest posts

Back