Opinions on if my mare is pregnant is appreciated

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Her belly looks dropped like Izzy's although Izzy's gets a bit of a v look sometimes. That's more udder than Izzy has too. I know Izzy is in foal and hides it well, I would still be watching closely. I'm also not above calling the vet if she foals and telling them they were wrong, lmao. Good luck!!

I stopped bringing her in at night but I might start again my other mini is a pig and steals her grain so I could regulate her feed easier if I did. I haven’t felt movement but about a week or two ago me and my friend felt movement near her abdomen. She is in a bad mood today and won’t let me touch her, I also now have a crack in my phone where she kicked it when I was trying to get a picture of her udders. I will definitely start watching her closely, she is starting to act strange.

I brought her in tonight which she is not to happy about. On the fourth picture there is dried saliva where she is constantly scratching there.

Attachments

• 51883E6B-C001-4FDC-9D71-A1996214D4D2.jpeg
    51883E6B-C001-4FDC-9D71-A1996214D4D2.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 5EE4F21C-1A2E-4F82-9958-634E1279E38C.jpeg
    5EE4F21C-1A2E-4F82-9958-634E1279E38C.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 29A9195B-7FB0-4699-9529-315C5A671205.jpeg
    29A9195B-7FB0-4699-9529-315C5A671205.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 50F7E12B-F4AE-4B39-9BD9-BA7A1C05A6F4.jpeg
    50F7E12B-F4AE-4B39-9BD9-BA7A1C05A6F4.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 0476C336-65AD-4503-AC9E-83D0804C6FB0.jpeg
    0476C336-65AD-4503-AC9E-83D0804C6FB0.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 93F319CF-61AD-4A08-9FA6-B64DD6F88644.jpeg
    93F319CF-61AD-4A08-9FA6-B64DD6F88644.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 8
Can you jiggle her belly? I've been doing this with Izzy mostly as something to do. If I use two fingers low on her belly in front of her flank I can jiggle her belly like a water balloon. Full of fluid, they don't do that if they're just getting fat.

Can you jiggle her belly? I've been doing this with Izzy mostly as something to do. If I use two fingers low on her belly in front of her flank I can jiggle her belly like a water balloon. Full of fluid, they don't do that if they're just getting fat.
Her belly is really tight but it does jiggle. If she is in foal she hides it very well.

Attachments

• 97FC0450-E4E7-4D80-938D-3EEC42E0FB77.jpeg
    97FC0450-E4E7-4D80-938D-3EEC42E0FB77.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 2
  • F0C2B15E-F212-4203-8A28-35AD60CA0CCF.jpeg
    F0C2B15E-F212-4203-8A28-35AD60CA0CCF.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 2
  • F4B6456B-D6E9-499B-864F-CB9D79C56AEB.jpeg
    F4B6456B-D6E9-499B-864F-CB9D79C56AEB.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 2
To look at visually , she doesn’t look pregnant . BUT you know her better than anyone , so I would definitely continue to treat her as she is . Looking at her udder, it could be the start of an udder development or it’s the udder of a mare that has foaled before . I just answered this on another thread , but do you happen to have clover in your pasture ?

To look at visually , she doesn’t look pregnant . BUT you know her better than anyone , so I would definitely continue to treat her as she is . Looking at her udder, it could be the start of an udder development or it’s the udder of a mare that has foaled before . I just answered this on another thread , but do you happen to have clover in your pasture ?
That is also what I was wondering if it could be the spring grass. She has been on a dry lot for about a week now but in the grass pasture there is clover.

Just as I was about to type that I had lost hope of a foal I actually saw movement at supper time.iIt could have been wishful thinking but it looked like movement near her abdomen. She has been off the pasture for about a week with little to no change in her udder.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 4
I feel for you! I'm going through the same thing. Is she/ isn't she? It's worse than knowing they are and doing the waiting game.

I am starting to think she is just going to have large udders that look like they are filling because she has had no change in her belly dropping,no udder change, no movement just nothing. Even though I have lost hope in a foal I believe we can now safely train for hunter and showmanship classes for the local pony club we will soon be joining. Best of luck to you Taz I am still hoping for a healthy happy foal from Izzy! And thank you to everyone for the wonderful advice that might come handy in the future! I will still monitor her just because you never know but I have lost any hope for a foal.

I didn’t know what other forum to put it on and I know she has this forum so I decided to put it on this one. Faye has started acting strange today.She is breathing hard and seems fidgety . She is stretching a lot and I watched her for further signs of possible colic. She just seems uncomfortable and call me crazy but me and my family sees that her belly is big and her udders haven’t changed they still look like they are filling with edema in front of them.

I know it seems crazy but she is just acting strange and uncomfortable and her belly is bigger and her butt is also really itchy. She’s just strange. I don’t know whether to be worried or not.

Attachments

• EBB411F6-6B6D-4066-BD99-1A82B9E52F08.jpeg
    EBB411F6-6B6D-4066-BD99-1A82B9E52F08.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I'd be watching her closely. Check her over for any signs of colic. Labor and what I call trial runs can look like colic but not quite the same. Make sure she has gut sounds. If you think it's colic call your vet out to be sure. With there being a chance of her being in foal I wouldn't give her anything without the vet saying to. Is it coming and going? How is she today?

I'm including a link over to Luna's mare's thread on this forum:
https://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/threads/pregnant-mini-mare-advice.139632/page-3#post-1643622
The reason I did so is that your mare has a similar body type. I also seem to see more filling in the teats themselves, compared to the first photos you posted.

Could you check her lady parts? Are they more elongated and/or puffy? What color is the inside when you gently spread the lips and check? Light salmon or darker? Is her tail loose or can she still clamp it down?

In the interests of covering all bases in this crazy weather, have you checked her gums? Are they moist and pink, or dry-ish and pale? If you press them with your thumb, does the white print return to pink quickly? (Capillary refill time.) If you pinch the skin on her neck into a tent, does it drop flat quickly when released or is it slow? (Dehydrated.) If she'll let you listen to her sides, do you hear plenty of loud gurgles and plinks? If this all seems normal, her temperature is normal, and she's just not her normal self, watch closely.

Since she WAS in with a stallion, keep your foal kit close at hand and your awareness up.

Brisk hand walks and light trotting won't hurt her, so feel free to start light conditioning. Even if she is in foal, the exercise will do her good. Just be sure not to work her until she's sweating or starting to breath hard. In hand obstacle work is good, too. Over poles work helps build muscles, as well as trust when you two walk over them together.

If you're concerned about colic, you could soak her feed until it's like very thick oatmeal. This will get extra water into her. You can also add Gatorade to her water to encourage her to drink more.

If she's rubbing, remember to check her udder for crud, too. Itchy boobies make mares do all kinds of strange contortions.😆😆

All her vital signs are good no fever she’s not dehydrated she was just acting weird. Today she’s her normal self again whinnying every time she sees us not laying down sleeping all day and eating normal again. I’ve been lunging her very lightly and going on short walks with her and hosing her down and giving her a Gatorade water mixture. I will keep watching her but she had the whole family thinking she was about to drop a foal last night lol. She’s still making gurgle sounds(one of the first things I checked I’ve had bad experiences with colic).

Latest posts

Back